Citroen Xantia Front Suspension Knock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

willowthehat

Citroen Xantia Front Suspension Knock

Post by willowthehat »

Hi there,

I have recently bought a 2000 X reg Xantia Estate 90 bhp Hdi, which has cover 135,000 miles. The car has run well over the last 10,000 miles only needing tyres and a brake caliper rebuilding however, over the last few weeks it has developed a new noise from the front suspension.

When the car is travelling over bumpy ground the suspension seems to work fine however, when pulling away from stationary or suddenly backing off the power there is a knocking sound which seems to be coming from the offside front area.

I will be taking the car down to a mates at the weekend to use his lift but would be very greatful for some advice before I do.

Thanks

Sam
paulbx
My Cars:

Knock

Post by paulbx »

Hi there

Well a knock that isn't related to road surface and conditions but accelerate and de accelerate feels like a Engine mounting to me.

Does this happen when stationary suddenly up the revs and drop them with the bonnet open?

Paul B Xantia HDi 90
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
willowthehat

Post by willowthehat »

Thanks for the quick replys guys.

Paul - I shall give that a try when it stops raining.

Superloopy - Mine sometimes makes a groaning noise as well, hopefully one problem is causing both these noises but we shall see.

Thanks again
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Citroën Xantia Front Suspension Knock

Post by VertVega »

willowthehat wrote:... when pulling away from stationary or suddenly backing off the power there is a knocking sound which seems to be coming from the offside front area. ...
I had similar single knock sound also in same situations, like starting from traffic light.

First I thought it was drive shaft (inner or outer CV joint) related.
Finally it came out to be a failing upper joint of the suspension drop link :)
It took about another month before it became more like clonk, clunk :lol:
especially on uneven surfaces, at slow speeds.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy1 wrote:I'm keeping an eye on this one as my Activa has started to do this as well, bit of a clunk when pulling away or slowing down to a stop, more of a groaning type of noise i'd say. I suspect engine mount also but hope someone can give a more detailed explanation as to where to start looking.
Mike,

A common problem on the Activa is the top engine mount torque reaction arm donut. Have a look at the engine mount and you'll see a big donut. Look at the forked arm attached to it and you'll see it ends in a small donut attached to the inner wing in an alloy casting.

This small donut often fails and gives the sound you describle. test by trying to rock the engine and you'll most likely see movement in it.

The donut is a dealer only part and comes complete with casting.

A similar arrangement is used on the 2.1TD, V6 and the HDis. Sadly, they're all different and is a common failure on the V6.

This diagram (items 1 and 2) shows the general arrangement. Specifically this is for the 110HDi but others are similar. The little donut and casting in question is item 1.

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Sam, it doesnt sound like a drop link as they rattle / knock over pot holes....my money would be a on a rear wishbone bush or something on the drive shaft either inner of outer wear on the splines.

Could be an engine mount but i dont come across many Citroen / Peugeot engine mounts failing...Renaults...now thats a different matter :roll:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
willowthehat

Post by willowthehat »

Have finally got round to putting it on the ramp and it turns out that both bushes on both wishbones are shot causing the wishbone to hit the subframe.

Thank you to everyone for their advice.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

willowthehat wrote:Have finally got round to putting it on the ramp and it turns out that both bushes on both wishbones are shot causing the wishbone to hit the subframe.
:shock: Bet the car feels better to drive now! Must have been like driving a jelly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
willowthehat

Post by willowthehat »

I haven't actually replaced them yet, does feel a bit......well a lot like jelly especially as my previous car was an alfa 156!