Citroen C3 ( Cranking but not starting )

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Imrana97_

Citroen C3 ( Cranking but not starting )

Post by Imrana97_ »

Hi everyone,

I’ve been following some posts on this forum and others regarding the Citroen C3. When I first purchased the car it was working completely fine, after about a week the car started showing strange symptoms. It would just randomly cut out during driving, it would cut out a lot more when the car was hot. After a day or two of this, when trying to get the biting point the car would just continuously rev up by itself with or without touching the gas pedal and the car has barely any power. Now the car will not turn over at all, it tries to crank but no matter how many times I try to start the car it will not start whatsoever.

Things I’ve tried:

- Had the ECU cloned as it was a suspected ECU fault.
- New battery
- Jump started the car
- Has had a new fuel pressure regulator

I’m not sure what else to try and don’t fancy just splurging anymore money on the car without knowing what’s actually wrong with it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen C3 ( Cranking but not starting )

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For a start, you really need to forget changing parts and get it properly diagnosed. Faults like this will have a cause and a diagnostic will point you in the right direction. Then stick the fault codes up here with your VIN.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

What engine do you have? Petrol/Diesel? what engine size & the year of the car would be a good starting point i guess.
Also any fault codes to go on?
Imrana97_

Post by Imrana97_ »

Hi,

I can get it plugged in tomorrow to get the fault codes. It’s 2003, and petrol with the 1.4Litre engine. Does it have to be plugged in with Lexia or can it be any diagnostics machine?
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Maf sensor playing up
Husky. :?
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Imrana97_ wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 13:31 I can get it plugged in tomorrow to get the fault codes. It’s 2003, and petrol with the 1.4Litre engine. Does it have to be plugged in with Lexia or can it be any diagnostics machine?
Doesent have to be Lexia but very cheap ones my not read anything or only get basic info from the car.
Huskyxantia wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 23:13 Maf sensor playing up
Dont think this engine will have a MAF sensor.
Imrana97_

Post by Imrana97_ »

Hi,

Sorry about the delay, trying to get the mechanic to come down and plug it in. He has one of the snap on diagnostic machines. Should be within the next few days, I can also ask him to check if it has a MAF sensor
Imrana97_

Post by Imrana97_ »

Hi,

Not sure how, but the mechanic came plugged the diagnostics machine into the car and it wasn’t communicating with the machine. We jump started the car, tried to turn it on and it works completely fine only issue is low battery voltage. Aside from that the car is working again, I don’t understand what’s changed but it seems to be all good. I’m going to try and drive it around tomorrow to see if the car is working properly
Imrana97_

Post by Imrana97_ »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies, this car just passed its MOT today and it’s working completely fine now. I’m still not sure what the problem was. But happy days, thanks for all your help.