Dealing with the 1.6 e-HDI Alternator Dilemma

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Palex12

Dealing with the 1.6 e-HDI Alternator Dilemma

Post by Palex12 »

Hi everyone,
I own a 2015 Citroen C5 with a DV6C e-HDi diesel engine. I need to replace the alternator, but I'm having trouble choosing the right one.
According to the catalog using my VIN, the correct part number is 5705PA, but alternators with that part number are unusually expensive. Does anyone know why? Are there any alternatives?
I've found alternators with the same 180A 14V specs for much cheaper, but it's not specified if they're suitable for my car with start-stop system. What would happen if I install the cheaper alternative? I live in a Nordic climate outside the city, so I don't rely heavily on the start-stop system.
I'd appreciate any advice or opinions. Also, apologies if this topic isn't in the right place—I'm new to the forum. Thanks!"
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Dealing with the 1.6 e-HDI Alternator Dilemma

Post by RichardW »

I imagine it's a reversible unit which is used to restart the engine. I don't know what the construction difference is, but if you fit a std unit at best it is likely to throw an error at worst it may destroy the new alt in a shirt time. Given the cost of replacement, rebuilding the existing unit may be cost effective?
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes^, they're expensive for a reason, as they do more than a standard alternator and as you will have the older Stop & Start system, it will be important to fit the correct one or purchase a reconditioned one.

A brand new one is about £1.8k but a reconditioned one is just under half that.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Palex12

Post by Palex12 »

Thanks for the help, folks! If I understand correctly, there's no equivalent for an OEM Valeo product, right?
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024

Post by Steve Walsh »

Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Palex12 wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 23:10 Thanks for the help, folks! If I understand correctly, there's no equivalent for an OEM Valeo product, right?
There are generally always alternatives , but if you need confirmation of official part numbers, please see below:

We can help if you need an original genuine part number, part diagram or factory build sheet and can't already find the info you need on the Forum. For this service, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future part number requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then provide your vehicle's VIN in full, which will be masked automatically when you submit your post.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or specific vehicle information requires you
to have made a current contribution
(Min. £10 / €11.48 or equivalent) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc