Xantia 2.0l HDi S reg

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8

Xantia 2.0l HDi S reg

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi All,

Been a while again since posting and the car is doing well, over 25 year old now.

Quick post to see if anyone has suggestions:

I pushed the down button on my electric window (driver side) about a week ago and it started making a whining sound, but the window still went down and up again.

Yesterday was over doing some jobs and cleaning the car and I pushed the button to lower the window and nothing happened (except the sound of the window motor working).

Have done some research and is probably either a cable broken or its come of its rails? The good thing is the motor still sound like it works (and the window does stay up on its own).

Has anyone had this problem before? Am going to remove internal panel and investigate but am wandering if I should order parts first, i.e. if its probably a broken cable?

Any suggestions?

Steve
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Xantia 2.0l HDi S reg

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, sounds like the regulator cable - water gets in the channels and eventually rusts the cable - then one gloomy day when it's chucking it down, you're at the automatic ticket barrier wind the window down to get out and snap, it won't go up again.

The door card needs taking off and the regulator mechanism replacing.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stewart(oily)

Post by Stewart(oily) »

The cable ends in a plastic moulding, these can snap, I found a replacement on ebay for £3 or so and was pretty straightforward, the cables were fine.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi Gents,

Thanks for responses, certainly true the window will do it at the worst time.

Have been reading (and watching vids) that confirm it is most likely the plastic moulded 'regulator clip' part, it didn't sound like the cable snapped, just whined then the button stopped moving the window, but can still hear window motor going.

Have found 3 options on ebay:

1: Regulator clip only:
There appears to be 2 different types (different design):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133772921330
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134117551845

2: Cable kit:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144940272367

I can see from the cable kit that the regulator clip (for my variant of car) is the 1st regulator type (dark grey), and you are right about it costing about £3.

Have ordered and will get it sorted, many thanks.

Steve
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi All,

Further to my last post I have now had the door panel off and done some investigating.

It turns out it was the cable rusted through. Have removed slider arm and old wires.

Have ordered some new cables £8.00, link below, and the regulator clip arrived today (£2.99).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002971820937.html?

So I should have everything I need to fix the window mechanism, there is a great post on here about how to do it, and I removed the arm today, so am hoping it should go well.

On a side point, during the door panel removal I must have knocked some of the wires out of the electrical block that goes to the back of the window switch and have now also got to reconnect some wires into the grey coloured block that plugs into the switch, see pics of grey block below (not my car just an example).
677370_2.jpg
01804553_5108209750.jpg
I know which order the 5 wires go in and what way up the block goes but does anyone know how to open these blocks up to reconnect the wires? Have never seen these connector blocks / plug to switch before but there must be a way of opening them up to reconnect wires?

Any help appreciated,

Steve
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi Again,

Just to answer my own question, I have found out how the connector block that plugs into the back of the switch comes apart, see pic below:
s-l1600..jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Am waiting on the cables for the window mechanism and have got about 4 jobs lined up to do on it, should get it all sorted again in a couple of hours.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg