MOT Fail

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peter306

MOT Fail

Post by peter306 »

Hello everyone,
Citroen xantia 1.8 petrol,
Failed on CO slightly too high,
Both side repeaters not working properly,
And the strange one,
The front anti roll bar had traveled sideways so one side was rubbing against the subframe.

So get the multimeter and lexia out to test the 02 sensor,
New bulbs,
Loosen the roll bar clamps and reposition it using the appropriate tool of course :-D

Peter
Citroen GSA flat4 engine written off
Citroen BX 1.4 gone
Citroen BX 1.6 gone
Citroen Xantia 1.8 gone
Citroen Xantia 1.8 still living now 148 k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: MOT Fail

Post by CitroJim »

That's very unusual on the roll bar Peter... Never seen that before... Check its bushes...

Yep, Lexia to check function of the O2 Sensor. If it looks normal on Lexia live data then the cat has likely lived its ninth life.

Odd that both side repeaters have died. Ask for wiring diagrams and look for something common between them.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

Loosen the roll bar clamps and reposition it using the appropriate tool of course :-D

Peter
[/quote]

I take it that will be the minor adjuster, 7lb lump hammer. :lol:
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

If this is the 8v version there was actually a TSB years ago for failing emissions test. Cant remember what part of it was too high but the solution was to unplug the injection ECU for 30 minutes, Re fit & repeat the test. Normally done the trick.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

wheeler wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 14:09 If this is the 8v version there was actually a TSB years ago for failing emissions test. Cant remember what part of it was too high but the solution was to unplug the injection ECU for 30 minutes, Re fit & repeat the test. Normally done the trick.
Ahh yes, Indeed, I remember now. It's a bit dim now but I seem to recall there was also a wiring modification involving ECU earthing and specifically the oxygen sensor heater wiring.

Peter, it may well be a good plan to look at the sensor heater voltage at the sensor connector and check you're seeing the full 12v there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
peter306

Post by peter306 »

Hello again,
Very strange Jim, i will be checking them when I loosen them. The 02 sensor was reading in milliamps on my launch tool, still learning Lexia so I use them both,at least with the launch tool I can't totally kill anything, one of the bulbs had just gone white, the other had a broken connector in the mounting, new one arriving Monday. New 02 sensor and cataclean going in again on Monday.
Paul, I don't know it's weight but definitely lumpy, with a little help from a crowbar.
Wheeler, it's a 2000 16 valve mk2.

Thanks all, hopefully get it all done on Monday, my MOT place is very good, they'll put it on the emissions tester before re mot, the guys also show me what they've failed it on.

Rgds Peter
Citroen BX 1.4 gone
Citroen BX 1.6 gone
Citroen Xantia 1.8 gone
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

If its a late 16v it probably wont apply then. It was mk1 1.8 8v versions that were affected.
peter306

Re: MOT Fail, Now passed

Post by peter306 »

Well after a busy few days, 2 new control arms, I think that when I went round bends the rear of the arm was moving and touching the roll bar, i'll be keeping an eye on it, the old bushes were rather shot.
New catalyst, new dust covers, 1 new sidelamp mount and 2 new bulbs.
Passed, Xantia motoring for another year. :-D
Citroen BX 1.4 gone
Citroen BX 1.6 gone
Citroen Xantia 1.8 gone
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: MOT Fail, Now passed

Post by CitroJim »

peter306 wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 18:06 Passed, Xantia motoring for another year. :-D
Excellent :) Congratulations 8-)
Jim