C4 grand spacetourer tailgate issue/battery drain

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Spacetourerman

Re: C4 grand spacetourer tailgate issue/battery drain

Post by Spacetourerman »

Ah man, all was going well. Until my wife just told me the tailgate failed to open on an attempt. It worked on the second try though.
A journey of around 60 miles each way (1.5 hours each way).
Checked the battery voltage and it's still 12.7v.

So must be an issue specifically on the tailgate system?

I've sent you a PM Richard, hopefully I can still take you up on that offer of the Diagbox.
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Hi Marc,
I've seen from other posts on tailgate issues (albeit on different models), I'll check the wiring loom between the car body and tailgate as that looks like a potential. It works most of the time in both opening and close directions so that tells me its more of a dodgy connection thing?
Don't think I mentioned this but there is a bit of a creaking sound from the right hand side strut sometimes. I've tried putting some lubrication spray on to it to see if it would help but the noise remains.
I see there is also the anti-pinch strip I should check. Does that live underneath the rubber strip that is all around the tailgate opening?
Cheers
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The anti pinch is in a 'D' shape in the seal, but rarely seen this fail.

The strut issue you now mentioned may be weakened and this may be putting additional pressure on the other strut, especially if the issue is more on the raising side where the weight / gravity is going to be working against the strut.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Oh ok, so wouldn't need to take the rubber seal off to find the anti pinch?

I've had a look at a new strut off ebay is something like £250 - oh dear.
Do you think this would this be reported with a fault code using a diagbox by any chance?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is a lot of data that Diagbox can provide including live tests, so whether this would show a weak strut I cant say - but you really should be replacing these in pairs otherwise you will have one weaker and one stronger strut and that may shorten the lifespan of the other.

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

ok, understood Marc thanks.

I have a warranty with arnold clark where they will look at it and if its covered will waive the diagnostic costs. If not, it's £60 for the investigation alone. Other than the body control module, I can't see anything that would be covered that would be linked to the tailgate electrics.
The very kind Richard has offered to plug his Diagbox in for me, so hopefully see something with that and I can do a diy repair.
I'll look at the wiring going into the tailgate as because its such an intermittent thing and no obvious 'set of circumstances' his would make sense in my head?!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

My thoughts are get it to the dealer to replace it first of all - as if it is unreliable as you say, they should be able to see that - especially if you point the groaning or noise form one of the struts. Either way £60 is worth it to rule out anything else.

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Interesting, thanks. I just know those struts are going to be a bloody expensive replacement. The groaning isn't constant which is the hope I've got.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not if they are covered under warranty! Check with the warranty company first (I advise ringing them up directly from the number in your warranty booklet) as I've done this after my dealership initially refused to do some work, which I knew was incorrect. I contacted the warranty company Citroen use and explained - they said no, this work is covered and offered to contract the dealership directly - sorted.

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Ha no way, nice effort!!
My situation is a bit different I think though, would have nothing really to do with Citroen, more Arnold Clark as its outside of the manufacturers warranty (2018 model).
Attached the auto care covered items:
Screenshot_2024-03-18-13-42-09-225_com.adobe.reader.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The seem to cover lock and window / tailgate motors - I still think it's worth a call as they can't list every single electrical item.

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Yeah it won't hurt to call them if it gets to that, I might well go with the £60 charge for a diagnostic to see what is going on and hopefully they can sort it.
Any chance you think the wiring must be pinching, in the area between car body and tailgate?
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Is this the anti pinch sensor?! Or just a bit of plastic?
IMG_20240318_165418.jpg
IMG_20240318_165424.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's a complete seal that does around the whole tailgate, then there's another top seal and then there's an anti pinch sensor in the D shape I mentioned, which may or may not be visible, which has wires coming out of the left side.

I don't see that this will be a tailgate wiring loom issue, otherwise it wouldn't work on closing either and seeing that it seems to be more on the opening side, I suspect a weakened strut - but I can't say for sure obviously. If there was a break, I'd expect it to not work at all or intermittently.

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

It is intermittent, thought my first post said that sorry. It happens on both opening and closing, seems almost random.