C4 grand spacetourer tailgate issue/battery drain

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C4 grand spacetourer tailgate issue/battery drain

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so check out the wiring condition between the tailgate aperture. It should be covered by a protective tube. This is the weak point were repeated opening an closing can weaken the wires.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Will do! Is it the tube in my first picture?
Or the thicker on on the left side?
Thanks for sticking with me on this Marc.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll have to provide your VIN as there are different versions of these and I can't tell from that picture what it is. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Oh ok. It's VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so no, the loom enters from the rear top left.

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Was worried you'd say that. The only way I'll be able to check those wires is by slicing the rubber grommet then taping it back up! The rubber grommet is so stubby I can barely move it to and from to check the wires
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Normally these are screw types or can be lifted over the lips to release.

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Will have a better look in the morning!
Strange when I went out there, it looked like the anti pinch sensor was kicking in at times. As the tailgate retracted a couple of degrees then after pressing the button, it continued to close.
Previously it hadn't reversed when the 3 beeps are there.
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

So the very kind RichardW helped me out tonight and we found some fault codes. Wondering if you could help me with them Marc?

There was a whole array of codes but after a wipe then trying to open the tailgate these are the ones that returned.
Screenshot_2024-03-21-21-10-01-400_com.adobe.reader-edit.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here are the reasons for these faults. My thoughts are that as I mentioned previously, one of the struts is likely weakened or has a supply fault - that is causing the other 'calibration' error / alignment fault.

The other thing of note is that if the tailgate is opened or closed with the battery disconnected - it doesn't like that and the positioning is all out. But I would expect a reinitialisation of a manual opening and closing operation to resolve this.

So a few things to start considering.
Fault Code: B1003 55
Description of Fault: Configuration fault: Configuration incorrect or not carried out. The configuration of one or more parameters has not been completed correctly or in full. Conditions of activation of the diagnostics: In all the operating situations.
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • The configuration has been carried out successfully
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active: -
Symptoms:
  • Malfunction of the motorised tailgate
  • Malfunction of the anti-pinch
Suspect Areas:
  • Configuration of the motorised tailgate ECU

Fault Code: B1746 78
Description of Fault: Fault in the synchronisation of the 2 motorised tailgate gas struts (Initialise the motorised tailgate). Difference in position between the right-hand strut and the left-hand strut. Conditions of activation of the diagnostics: In all the operating situations.
  • Initialisation of the motorised tailgate carried out successfully
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • De-initialisation of the motorised tailgate
Symptoms:
  • Stopping of the movement in progress
Suspect Areas:
  • Alignment or adjustment of the motorised tailgate

Fault Code: B1747 04
Description of Fault: Motorised tailgate initialisation fault (Loss of the motorised tailgate ECU supply or position of the motorised tailgate not coherent). Loss of initialisation of the motorised tailgate, if:
- Disconnection of the ancillaries battery during movement
- Position outside the operating range
- Restarting of the motorised tailgate ECU with the motorised tailgate open whereas the motorised tailgate was closed on disconnection of the ancillaries battery.

Conditions of activation of the diagnostics: In all the operating situations.
  • Initialisation of the motorised tailgate carried out successfully
  • Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message: Emission of a sound alert "Motorised tailgate fault or control not authorised".
  • Motorised tailgate closing button indicator lamp flashing if the motorised tailgate is open.
Symptoms:
Suspect Areas:
  • Manual movement of the motorised tailgate while the ancillaries battery is disconnected

Fault Code: B1751 11
Description of Fault: Motorised tailgate right-hand gas strut position sensor signal fault: Short circuit to earth. Short circuit to earth detected for 1s.
Conditions of activation of the diagnostics: In all the operating situations.
  • Absence of fault
  • Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message: Emission of a sound alert "Motorised tailgate fault or control not authorised".
Symptoms:
Suspect Areas:
  • Sensors
  • Electrical harness

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Thanks very much for the info.

Yeah you did call it, so hopefully a change to the strut should resolve this and the other issues? Could I check the cable coming out of the strut, continuity check with a multimeter perhaps?
I don't think I have moved the tailgate whilst the battery is disconnected but I couldn't be 100% certain to be honest.
With regards to the B1003 55 fault, how would I go about configuring it, assuming this is different to the initialisation (hold the internal tailgate button for 3 seconds when fully open right?)
The initialisation looks to be what is required to clear faults 2 and 3, with a strut replacement or maybe wiring correction for fault 4. Would you agree mate?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would first deal with the strut, on the basis that this may cause the ECU to think there is a calibration issue - in that it is not getting the correct data, being that one strut is not operating effectively. The ECU can only act or make assumptions on the data it is receiving.

If it was just that fault code alone I would check the ECU configuration / programming - but as we know there are other issues with at least one strut (whether that is a wiring / supply / short problem) you might want to consider dealing with that first. I would be checking the connections and looking for breaks / shorts from the struts to the tailgate ECU and from there to where the loom enters the tailgate at the top rear left.

But I can't really give you any more pointers as I don't have one of these Carlos Fandango tailgates myself :-D

Marc
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Yeah I think will take the tailgate trim off and have a look at some point soon, hopefully I can figure out how to take that off without snapping the bloody thing or breaking clips. Then I should be able to do some checks on the wiring, the fact that the fault refers to a short circuit to earth, does that mean its likely to be an electrical rather than mechanical issue - even thought was groaning etc?

Count yourself lucky that you don't!! :lol:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

The configuration fault was a hard fault and wouldn't clear. All the other faults cleared with the door closed, but came back as soon as we tried to open it - and on live data it reported 'invalid' value for the position as soon as it moved. I tried the configuration but there were only 3 fields, and they all look correct. There was an auto config option, but I doubt that would work on the hacked version of DiagBox! The struts are £310 each... but they are the same left / right so in theory it would be possible to swap left to right and see if the fault follows the strut.
Richard W
Spacetourerman

Post by Spacetourerman »

Interesting idea! I've bought a 2nd hand strut from a local place on ebay (I understand the issue of buying a 2nd hand one but hopefully I get away with it). Cost £150 but they have given me the option to return it if it doesn't resolve my issue.
Hopefully the configuration fault doesn't come back but I guess I'd only know if we try plugging it in again Richard?