Battery Charge Fault - BPGA?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichMouse

Battery Charge Fault - BPGA?

Post by RichMouse »

Good Evening All

I have been trying to track down a fault on my C4 Grand Picasso (2016) for a while now, whenever I turn the ignition on I get a "Battery Charge Fault" come up on the dash along with the service light. The fault used to come and go but now it's here there all the time. I used to be able to clear the fault by carrying out a BSI Reset, but now it comes back every time.

I have tested the alternator and the battery is charging at 14.4v, I have also tested the diode in the Alternator, so I can assume that the charger circuit is fine

After a lot of internet sleuthing, I seem to have tracked it down to faulty BPGA unit relay ( 9675350280 ) but I am struggling to find any extra information on this unit to aid fault finding

My assumption is that there are two sides of the BPGA, one Permanent Live (right hand side) and one switched live (left hand side) via the relay
20240217_112254.jpg
Even with the BPGA out of the car, the relay is closed which would mean both are permanently connected to battery live. 0.2ohm connection between both sides when removed from the car

Does anyone have any wiring diagrams/schematics for the BPGA ( 9675350280 ) please?

Thanks All

Rich
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Re: Battery Charge Fault - BPGA?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

There are many threads about BPGA online, this one has some wiring diagrams if you scroll down to post #67, don't know if they match your car though.
https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/b ... 202/page-2
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
RichMouse

Post by RichMouse »

Hi Gibbo,

Thanks for the link, I have read this one before and a few similar ones around this issue.

My problem is there is no definitive answer as to how the relay operates in this BPGA. The relay in the one currently fitted seems to be permanently closed, even when removed from the vehicle. I even purchased a 2nd hand unit and even before it went on the two sides of the relay were connected together and appears to have the same issue as the one fitted to the car.

I also have a power drain, anything from 400mA to 2.5A even when the car is locked and left

I was hoping someone would have extra information that would aid fault finding here.

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds to me like the relay contacts may have welded themselves together.

Is the unit amenable to being opened up and the relay contracts and actuating mechanism exposed?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichMouse

Post by RichMouse »

I wish it was that simple Jim, the relay within the BPGA is sealed.

my assumption is both the unit on the car and the one I got on eBay are both unserviceable with the same issue (Welded contacts closed, what are the odds of that!)

All the schematics/wiring diagrams I have been able to find online suggest the relay should be Open when un-powered/removed from vehicle. If this can be confirmed then at least I know I have a problem

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

As you have two, I'd be looking at getting inside one of them and seeing if there's a possibility of substituting an external relay. You'd need to know what voltage and current the operating coil takes and what the maximum current the contacts would have to carry might be...

Potentially destroying one to glean its secrets and assist in fixing another is something I've done a few times with a variety of other 'sealed for life' items in the past...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I did see a picture of one opened up on the internet somewhere obviously crash damaged case but you could see the guts of it.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

You may also find that solid state switching is used instead of traditional electromagnetic relays.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 21:27 You may also find that solid state switching is used instead of traditional electromagnetic relays.
That, potentially, may make it easier to fix - as long as the device can be identified...
Jim

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

IIRC the solid state relays are potted as well.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 07:57 IIRC the solid state relays are potted as well.
Wouldn't surprise me but still worth a look - nothing ventured, nothing gained... Knowledge or otherwise...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

If you create an account at servicebox, you can buy a token for an hours access (€9) that should allow you to download the wiring diagrams - and anything else you can grab in the time slot!!
Richard W
Ceenine
Donor 2023

Post by Ceenine »

I pulled one apart recently and it’s not solid state. I thought that it’s was well known to be not so. Good luck with fixing the relay as it would be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole unit.