Citroen's with the Magic Carpet Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Citroen's with the Magic Carpet Suspension

Post by dave_xsara »

Hi.

Not sure if this is the correct sub forum, so please move if not...

Looking to change my 22yo Xsara as the body has reached the end of its line without an unfeasible investment.

No real budget at the minute, but around £16k at minute is my intention.

Disappointed in some cars I've looked at so far. Was in a new 5 Series and thought the tyre roar in the cabin for a luxury brand was very poor.

Haven't decided what to go for although an A4, A5, CLA, C-Class or IS300H were all looked at. Any thoughts on these? Looking at models from around 2016/2017.

I've just remembered about the magic carpet suspension and the newer active version. What models and versions have each of these and any opinions on them?

Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen's with the Magic Carpet Suspension

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's no active suspension any more on PSA vehicles (only the DS automobiles active scan system) and that is not really active - it's just struts that can adjust a bit and springs.

You may be referring to the Citroen 'Hydraulic Progressive Cushions'. These are available on Certain Citroen models like the C4 Cactus, C5 Aircross, the new C4, C4X, C5X and the new C3e electric vehicle.

They are very comfortable and are the best presently we are going to get.

I've driven a few vehicles with these and am very impressed with the handling and comfort.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

There are still a few Hydractive C5s about but if ride comfort is your prime objective even the steel sprung versions give exceptional ride quality. I have two and apart from the problems that beset most modern cars they are fairly reliable with the 2.0. manual diesel capable of 60mpg + on the motorway.

Peter
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Hi Dave, with that kind of budget, if looking for a magic carpet, I'd suggest buying a really nice, low mileage C5 such as this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196020938070
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'd have to disagree personally speaking - just that it's expensive for an 8 year old vehicle that is going to get worse for parts that we already know are no longer available here.

This would of been one of the last run of production vehicles or a late registered one. These had the touch screen SMEG units in and moved some button and controls that were no longer needed.

Yes it's a nice leather example, but as much as I loved mine, the parts issues alone were one of the biggest factors in moving her on. For that money, you could get something a lot newer that is more updated.

Some C5 Aircross SUVs on Autotrader to give you some ideas, 2019 around the £13k mark +

I strongly suggest you get to a dealer and take a used one out for a test drive and see what you think.

Marc
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

DS7?
Don't some models have some form of active suspension?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Good, well spec'd, Estate C5x7's are really holding their value very well.....and will keep doing so I predict....fantastic car and "the last of the type" EVER !

GiveMeABreak wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 18:58 I'd have to disagree personally speaking - just that it's expensive for an 8 year old vehicle that is going to get worse for parts that we already know are no longer available here.

This would of been one of the last run of production vehicles or a late registered one. These had the touch screen SMEG units in and moved some button and controls that were no longer needed.

Yes it's a nice leather example, but as much as I loved mine, the parts issues alone were one of the biggest factors in moving her on. For that money, you could get something a lot newer that is more updated.

Some C5 Aircross SUVs on Autotrader to give you some ideas, 2019 around the £13k mark +

I strongly suggest you get to a dealer and take a used one out for a test drive and see what you think.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My comments were made for people like me whose primary concern is comfort. There are cars out there that are better value for money but they don't have the ride comfort.

I managed to get an estate with pretty well full Exclusive spec but without Hydropnumatic and auto and 106k miles for £1800 about 4 years ago and apart from a dreadful electronic fault which I managed to work around the car has been utterly reliable. If I need any spares I have another one in the field.

I have been told that the Skoda Superb has very good ride comfort as does the Mercedes E class.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Lenny wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 21:24 DS7?
Don't some models have some form of active suspension?
Basically it's nothing as fancy as the name suggests (DS Active Scan) It comprises of a camera, sensors and 4 piloted dampers, to scan the road ahead and make small adjustments to the struts.

My comments are just being practical in terms of maintaining and keeping a Hydractive C5 X7 on the road, in light of suspension pipes no longer available, the power steering pipes, steering rack availability etc. It's not like an older Xantia where these vehicles had parts in abundance for years after end of production. The X7 is entirely different and the parts were bespoke, so some parts are already no longer available. Outside of the steering racks and suspension, there are standard maintenance parts that will be around for a while, but a Hydractive X7 will be a money pit nowadays.

If I had that sort of money to update my vehicle it would in my opinion be utter madness to buy an X7 today - and I have had Hydraulic Citroens since 1980. I've had to accept that we won't be getting any more Hydractive cars from Citroen.

My advice is try a range of vehicles, and get a shortlist of 'definitely like', 'maybe' and then focus on the specification / trim level and options you want - because a lot of options are NOT standard on certain trims - even the top of the range, so may only be present if they were ordered optional extras. I've seen may caught out thinking their cars had features they didn't because they relied on what they had test driven, when they were options.

Just get something that you are happy with.

Marc
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

In fairness Marc, I've nailed the fore to aft pipes, and the height sensor linkages, Svod has the firmness regulators to suspension cylinders covered*
SpeediSleeves have sorted the pinion shaft seal issues, we just need to work out the power steering pipes, I'm in favour of tapping the ports and using hydraulic fittings or banjo bolts.

* Svod has dropped off the radar, but if he doesn't make an appearance in the next few months I'll have a pop at those pipes as well.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, he seems to be a little quiet on that front. Also, if you're an 'engineer' type then that's really great that you can do that sort of thing :wink: , but for the causal DIY'er I would suggest it's beyond the scope of most Jay.

Marc
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Interesting to see that the rear pipes (5270VF & VG) are now easily available as pattern parts and I've currently got a pattern 5270VP slowly working it's way across Europe from Poland as mine is looking a bit crusty.
Front struts are being made by somebody aftermarket too.

Keeping an X7 going into much later life may yet turn out to be possible.

(Admittedly, we still need and answer to the steering pipes issue though)
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Lenny, could you post a link to where you're getting these pipes from?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Lenny wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 21:07 Interesting to see that the rear pipes (5270VF & VG) are now easily available as pattern parts and I've currently got a pattern 5270VP slowly working it's way across Europe from Poland as mine is looking a bit crusty.
Front struts are being made by somebody aftermarket too.

Keeping an X7 going into much later life may yet turn out to be possible.

(Admittedly, we still need and answer to the steering pipes issue though)
But those parts you have listed are all still showing as available from the dealers....

Marc