206 ABS amber light on

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nezzdog

206 ABS amber light on

Post by Nezzdog »

Hi all....hoping someone can give me some advice. I'm quite handy but still very much a learner.
My 2005 206 is used to get me to work and back, 1.5 miles each way, I've had it for about 6 months and already had to bugger about with the coil pack and injectors. In honesty, I've enjoyed getting me hands mucky and learning about the car, the bloody thing has actually grown on me and I want to keep it :roll: . It's MOT time this weekend but i've got an amber ABS warning light on (constantly) so it won't pass with that on. Do I need to buy a Peugeot-specific fault code reader? (I have a generic on but it's saying there are no faults). Is it worth all the mucking about and expense for a £550 car?
Please help!

Thanks in advance.... Neil
ozvtr

Re: 206 ABS amber light on

Post by ozvtr »

Typically the cheap little code readers will only read engine codes. Mostly they are designed for the American market and are good at detecting anti-pollution and poor engine performance problems. But beyond that they aren't much help.
If I were you I would find a garage with a decent scanner and get the ABS fault codes read. You don't need to pay them to fix it, just read the fault codes.
The problem is that the fault could be anything. Pump, hydraulic block, ABS module and so on. You would be stumbling around in the dark trying to find the fault.
The only thing that tends to be common is corrosion on the electrical connector of the ABS module. Salty water from the roads can work its way into the ABS module connector and damage the contacts. I'm not saying that's the fault, but it's the only thing I can suggest that you could try.

If you intend to do your own repairs and maintenance I would seriously suggest that you get a LEXIA scan tool. The major problem with it is that you need to be an IT guru to get it up and running. I wont go into why at this point in time. :-D

I always think of car repairs this way: how much would it cost you to buy another car? Will that car have ABSOLUTELY no faults with it when you buy it? Because that's what you are assuming. Or will you just be back to where you are at the moment? Forget about the VALUE of your car, think about the value to REPLACE it with a good, known reliable, car. Because that's what you want. What would that be worth to you? If your current car is a pile of s... then cut your losses (why did you buy it in the first place then?). If the car can POTENTIALLY be brought back to a clean and reliable condition, well, then think about what I said.
Nezzdog

Re: 206 ABS amber light on

Post by Nezzdog »

ozvtr wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 01:50 Typically the cheap little code readers will only read engine codes. Mostly they are designed for the American market and are good at detecting anti-pollution and poor engine performance problems. But beyond that they aren't much help.
If I were you I would find a garage with a decent scanner and get the ABS fault codes read. You don't need to pay them to fix it, just read the fault codes.
The problem is that the fault could be anything. Pump, hydraulic block, ABS module and so on. You would be stumbling around in the dark trying to find the fault.
The only thing that tends to be common is corrosion on the electrical connector of the ABS module. Salty water from the roads can work its way into the ABS module connector and damage the contacts. I'm not saying that's the fault, but it's the only thing I can suggest that you could try.

If you intend to do your own repairs and maintenance I would seriously suggest that you get a LEXIA scan tool. The major problem with it is that you need to be an IT guru to get it up and running. I wont go into why at this point in time. :-D

I always think of car repairs this way: how much would it cost you to buy another car? Will that car have ABSOLUTELY no faults with it when you buy it? Because that's what you are assuming. Or will you just be back to where you are at the moment? Forget about the VALUE of your car, think about the value to REPLACE it with a good, known reliable, car. Because that's what you want. What would that be worth to you? If your current car is a pile of s... then cut your losses (why did you buy it in the first place then?). If the car can POTENTIALLY be brought back to a clean and reliable condition, well, then think about what I said.
Thanks for the reply mate....the thing only cost me £500 and I've not spent very much getting it to where it is now. It'll sell for around the same money so I'll probably just flip it