GS, oil leak from around the distributor, I think.

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

Wollop

GS, oil leak from around the distributor, I think.

Post by Wollop »

There's an oil leak around the distributor or distributor mount on our GS. I'm told that this is quite common and that there is an oil seal in there which has probably broken down or gone hard.

Does anyone have a drawing or picture that explains how it all goes together...or even part numbers? I don't know if the seal is bespoke or simply an 'O' ring and would be keen to have the replacements in hand before pulling it apart.

It's a dark oil mess down there...

Anyone done this?
Stonehopper

Re: GS, oil leak from around the distributor, I think.

Post by Stonehopper »

You need a manual.
I cannot remember if the distributor has to be removed from the camshaft bearing housing, but access may demand it is.
It is important that the crankshaft (and thereby the camshaft) are NOT moved when the distributor is removed, and take note of the position of the rotor such that when returning the distributor it is in the same position. Otherwise retiming of the engine will be necessary.
Between the camshaft bearing and the cylinder head, there is a paper gasket which may be the cause of your oil leak. Is there a seoarate oil seal or 'O' ring in there? Hmm . . can't remember, and the manuals make only a reference to an oil seal at the front end.
Images from 'Autodata' book 278, Citroen GS from 1971. ISBN 5 013381 004159

Ignore the reference to 'fuel pump mounting' - it's for an image out of scan shot.

Attachments
IMG_20231107_0002.jpg
Derek
Wollop

Post by Wollop »

Thanks for the scans which are a great help, I'll see if I can find the Autodata book. I have Haynes but it is of limited use, to put it mildly.

Thanks again for your help.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Wollop wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 11:14 Thanks for the scans which are a great help, I'll see if I can find the Autodata book. I have Haynes but it is of limited use, to put it mildly.

Thanks again for your help.
Nothing that will help with your current car problem, but may be of interest. Glenmarch.com is a great resource for classic and collectors car auctions which covers virtually every auction house in the UK and across the world selling classics right across the scale from everyday to the exotic.

The search faciliity on their site gives access to catalogues for current and future sales as well as sale results for auctions over previous years.

Noting your "always on the look-out for a late Panhard" tag without any further detail this lists all Panhards sold at classic auctions over recent years.
from the list you would have had to fork out £60,000 ish Euros for this one...
https://www.aguttes.com//lot/121185/185 ... brioletcar

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

From memory, and I'm going back 30 years since I last did one, its just a paper seal. Take a photo of the rotor arm position if you can get a device near enough. Don't let the engine turn at all, otherwise you'll be in for a whole load of "fun" when you put it back together..

Probably easier to take the engine out to change that seal ... 😝
Wollop

Post by Wollop »

Yes, indeed there is a paper gasket:
https://www.chevronics.co.uk/product/gasket-camshaft/

But there also appears to be the a camshaft oil seal, apparently often the culprit
https://www.franzoesische-klassiker-sho ... ts/1014-01

Can't find the camshaft oil seal in the UK yet, I wonder if anyone has a part number or source?
Stonehopper

Post by Stonehopper »

Give Rob Moss a ring at Chevronics, he knows them inside out.
Derek
Wollop

Post by Wollop »

Yes I'll give Rob Moss a call but first I will clean it up and do my best to identify where the oil is dripping from.