Injectors misbehaving but trying to understand the numbers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

darbuck
Donor 2023

Re: Injectors misbehaving but trying to understand the numbers

Post by darbuck »

Only got the lifters in last night and cleaned up the cams
Darren
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Hi lads and ladies, I have a few more pics of my engine rebuild, I forgot to photograph the head gasket itself. I discovered three of my tappets (hydraulic lifters) are no good so have to wait on new ones to arrive to finish it off. Nearly there now.
Attachments
IMG_20230616_165605.jpg
IMG_20230616_165610.jpg
IMG_20230616_165612.jpg
IMG_20230616_165614.jpg
IMG_20230616_165616.jpg
IMG_20230616_165921.jpg
IMG_20230616_165925.jpg
Darren
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Great pictures, looks spotless =D>
Couple of questions:

Did you treat yourself to an engine stand? (I remember they seemed to have gone up on price considerably since I bought one for £37) you've more patience that I have if scrabbling about at ground level!

How did you test/find out your hydraulic lifters were duff? I didn't test mine at all, just squeezed them in a jam jar of new engine oil (and each ejected a little "cloud" of filthy black oil into the clear new stuff= made me feel better even if no actual benefit!)
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Thanks Matt, no not this time, too expensive. I will get one eventually for a few other projects I have planned for the future unlike this unplanned one. I am just taking my time with it.

Scotch brite pads on a screw gun so not so much patience needed and done on the driveway so done in the sun and throwing the ball for the dog 😃 simple pleasures.
They are not supposed to be compressible by hand is my understanding of them, three of mine were very soft and on guess where cylinder 3.

There was something very strange going on in there.if you zoom in on the first cylinder pic you will see a circular indent on the piston on its outer edge where it was hitting something which I wasn't able to determine,
but I think if memory serves me there was something in it but I had originally thought it was from when I pulled the head so didn't think about it until I discovered the someone was at it before that much I do know. There was damage to the shroud of one of the head bolt seats but nothing to bad to fix thankfully.
Darren
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Refitted the lower intake/valve cover and set the timing chain tonight the tensioner looks new and the chain is in good nick aswell so into bonus territory.There is an awful lot of bolts on the valve cover, torque setting is 10Nm. Liquid gasket light bead
Darren
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Hi all just discovered the main crank seal is leaking behind the flywheel as I am doing the clutch it's not a big issue but I would have liked it to have been in good nick . I know given the issues so far it's to be expected but it's one of the last bits I have to do.
Darren
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Hi Marc would you be able to give me the part number for the crank oil seal gearbox end please.

Hi Marc, please disregard I was able to get the seal size off the old one and have replacement ordered.
Last edited by darbuck on 24 Jun 2023, 07:56, edited 2 times in total.
Darren
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Glad you've been to get some enjoyment / distraction playing fetch with the dog whist scrabbling on the floor.

Keep an eye on Facebook marketplace, gumtree, eBay, you might score a second hand stand bargain ready for next time, there's very little to wear out so would have no qualms about an old one.

My £37 one is a bit "loose tolerances" e.g. the "bearing" I. Which you are supposed to rotate the whole engine is two bits of pipe with a good 5mm or so difference in the ID of the outer one and the OD of the one which spins inside it! I improved it a touch with a bit of greased cardboard which cut the friction and slip down a little. Though turning engine back and too a few time it's now ejecting slivers of "cardboard paste" so hardly a long term fix.

Am resisting the urge to turn if into some massive project involving the lathe! Have enough on without adding "remake cheap tat you bought online" to the list!

Similar to your experience, the oil seal behind the flywheel was knackered on the DV6 for me. Couple of self tapping screws helps yank it out
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Hi Matt,
I plan to get one , I suppose adverts or done deal an Irish website might have one for small money considering the amount of times it will probably be used €100 will be my limit. Maybe some sort of a sleeve, a bit of thin walled pipe of the diameter you need with plenty of grease might work for you.

I could say that about the C5 considering I found it online :lol: :lol:.

They nearly always are, mine had oil splashed all over the rear of the flywheel so definitely needs changing. The clutch was well worn and the flywheel itself is knackered a lot of play. I have a full kit I bought for it back in November, December so no added expense apart from the seal which I have sourced on 123bearings.eu.
I bought a seal and bearing for the steering rack off them a few weeks ago and found them very quick 2 or 3 days from France isn't bad. The shipping costs more than the bloody seal mind you €10 for the seal and €15 for the shipping :roll:. It is still easier and cheaper than driving to Dublin from here to get one. I could only find an NBR but it should be as good as the old one was new. I couldn't find one on any of the online motor factors.

The steering rack is rebuilt and in the car and all now. I posted up pictures of the finished job on the steering rack again thread. I haven't filled it yet I will probably throw a litre of LDS in today to check for low pressure leaks, with engine out and ECU on the back seat, the pump is not starting anytime soon.
Darren
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Hi All, clutch and gearbox refitted today injectors in, glow plugs in and cleaned and reinstalled egr.hopefully reinstall timing belt case and upper intake tomorrow. There are so many little bits and pieces on these engines and the weather is so erratic I'm ducking in and out all day.It seems to be endless. I know another week or so should finish it at least.Hopefully it runs when I put it back together.
Darren
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Hi all got the timing belt and covers back on today, have new rocker and intake gaskets on the intake manifold ready to fit.😁 Weather is turning crap again though so probably won't get back to it today 😕.it's really just tidying up left to do on it now then put the engine and gearbox back in. I am going to have to make a new manifold heat shield. The foam and tin-foil original is torn to shreds and was before I started.
Darren
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

darbuck wrote: 06 Jul 2023, 15:23 Hi all got the timing belt and covers back on today, have new rocker and intake gaskets on the intake manifold ready to fit.😁 Weather is turning crap again though so probably won't get back to it today 😕.it's really just tidying up left to do on it now then put the engine and gearbox back in. I am going to have to make a new manifold heat shield. The foam and tin-foil original is torn to shreds and was before I started.
I can recommend stainless steel from an old cooker hood! That's what I have used:
Exhaust heat shield
Exhaust heat shield
Think enough to cut with aviation snips, easily bent, shiny shiny! I bent all the raw edges back over to remove the lethal edges. Surprised how time-consuming it was to do!
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Jasus that is shiny, stainless is difficult to cut with snips it can be hard on the blades too. I used go through an awful amount of tin snips when I was plastering, stainless steel stop beads would wreak havoc on the blades. Hmm should have something lying around that will work no cooker hoods though.🤔🤔
Darren
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

A little grinder would eat through the stainless steel, stuff cutting with snips!
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Yes true it would be a lot easier. I have a kind of foil polymer heat shield material I forgot I had bought I'll let you know how I get on.
Darren