Familiarity Phenomenon & other unlikely coincidences

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Familiarity Phenomenon & other unlikely coincidences

Post by mickthemaverick »

On the same theme, what were the chances of this coming up for auction the day after you posted the engine picture Neil? : :-D
BFTW
BFTW
Details here
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 28 May 2023, 13:15 On the same theme, what were the chances of this coming up for auction the day after you posted the engine picture Neil? : :-D

Details here
Quite remarkable as David Coleman might have said. :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Minor occurrence, and very definitely in the familiarity phenomenon category.
An interesting little corner of the Woodside Walled Garden near Ancrum in the Borders, supplied the old 2 Gallon Motor Spirit Cans, and "Implement Seats", and Selections of old tools and Milk Churns, and also these "swingletrees" i believe they are called, bit of "driving" tack for horses.
swingtrees
swingtrees
That very morning on the TV an episode of "Find-it, Fix it , Flog-it" (Series 7 Episode 13) had been on, where Henry Cole had found a similar item, and turned it into a rustic lighting fitting.

Minor occurrence like I say, but without being "primed to notice" wouldn't have spotted it, nor elevated its significance with a shutter click and a place on this thread! :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Let's keep these ticking over with another minor one. Fairly recently I graced Picture(s) of the day on this very forum with some hardwearing iron seating thus...
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Jun 2023, 09:33 Are you sitting comfortably :?:

Lo and behold at Eshott Airfield as everyone made for cover under in the excellent little catering facility when the sunny showers pelted down for a short while...I not only discover this but literally perched on it for coffee, chips, and red velvet cake :-D (very good all three!)
Falcon Original<br />Before Dragging it inappropriately to a normal table.
Falcon Original
Before Dragging it inappropriately to a normal table.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Let me plant a seed of what I think is a relatively rare occurrence, but which today popped up unexpectedly.

An Orange Door
Falcon Original<br />The Orange Door
Falcon Original
The Orange Door
Let it seep into your subconscious, but lie there primed for subsequent apparently random noticings.

The Orange door, raised its head on the back of the pleasing orange background to the white lettering signage on both the South Tynedale railway and its signal box at Alston, and also at Wolsingham Station in Weardale visited by Mike, Mick and Jim on their August Adventure. What to do with the rest of the tin of orange paint? Maybe a little journey off-piste with the rarity value of an orange door! :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

And at Wolsingham, it will be seen that i was wearing an orange top...

One of my favourite colours...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Weirdly Jim and I were having a discussion about cars yesterday and today this appears which had come up in our chat. I could post this on Classics under 10k, Wheel meet again and Favourite colours for cars to name a few but this is the chosen place because of the coincidence!! :-D
BFTW
BFTW
Details here
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

The planting of the rare "Orange Door" seed has certainly tuned in my familiarity phenomenon sub-conscious noticing engine. Its broad brush, its tuned into orange things and not just orange doors.

How about this at the builders merchant....right next to me in process of sawing up 4.6 metre roofing battens in half to fit into the car in the parking area, this pulled in just to turn around, and head over to Tool Station opposite, an odd manouevre in itself. Then you add the rarity factor only 500 of these vehicles were ever made...in the whole wide world. The odds against seeing one in Vibrant Orange (pearl) are even greater because the MG TE LE 500 was available in...this range of colours too Intense Blue (metallic), Crystal White (pearl), Graphite Grey (mica-tallic), Raven Black, Scorched Red in addition to Vibrant Orange (pearl). Most early publicity images of the TF LE500 used cars in the orange colour.

https://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/mg-guide ... otor-mg-tf

It was indeed a head turner, as well as a satisfying small success for the Orange door priming. Yes it did have orange doors too!

No Camera to hand so this is an example by Nick Williams on flickr
ImageOrange MG TF LE 500 Arriving At PH Sunday Service by Nick Williams, on Flickr

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That MG TF looks magical in orange :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 Aug 2023, 10:08 Weirdly Jim and I were having a discussion about cars yesterday and today this appears which had come up in our chat. I could post this on Classics under 10k, Wheel meet again and Favourite colours for cars to name a few but this is the chosen place because of the coincidence!! :-D

Details here
That would be absolutely ideal as my new bike carrier but it would be a shame to subject such a lovely old Traveller to that fate... She deserves better...

And Bluebell would be so jealous!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Another Orange door :-D
Falcon Original<br />One out of three ain't bad
Falcon Original
One out of three ain't bad
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A nice set of numbers from my parkrun volunteering this morning :)
Screenshot_20230826_123629_Gmail.jpg
Event 88, my 50th time volunteering at Bury Field and my 222nd day of volunteering overall :)

I do like both round - ending in 0 - and palindromic numbers... Palindromic numbers with all digits the same are even nicer ;)
Jim

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

I've not heard of a palindromic before. Is that we are all looking for when we stare at our mileometer? Waiting for 100,000 and 111,111 etc?
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Palindrome - a mate in the Air Force or a number, word or sentence that reads the same backwards as it does forwards :)
Jim

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Oh, like mum
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.