DIY Car Maintenance with function over finesse!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: DIY Car Maintenance with function over finesse!!

Post by mickthemaverick »

No I am going to Subaru, I just used that as the clearest diagram I could find. If he had called them drop links I'd have known what he meant :-D
So basically a pair of droplinks, and 2 number 2s and 2 number 3s . Thanks for your efforts on this, a glass of something brown and frothy I owe you :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

No problem, Mick - but bear in mind my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it :-D

Before you leap into ordering the bits, just check as to what is involved in fitting the 'Number 2' bushes. They should be straightforward...... but there's no doubt plenty of opportunity for them to be a right PITA :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Jim is popping down next week and we will have a look at all of them then and make a plan. It may mean taking the car up to his house if the arm bushes have to be pressed out but we'll have a look and take it from there! :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Further research today revealed the press will be required. However even further research turned up replacement control arms with pre fitted bushes and ball joints actually work out slightly cheaper than buying a full set of bushes and ball joints. It will also make the job much quicker consisting of just undoing and torquing up nuts and bolts with the swap in the middle of course.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193878822056

I am therefore leaning towards that as it would also include replacing the arm front bushes as a matter of course. I like the idea of a completely new arm with 2 years warranty verses a home refurbished one with no comebacks!! I will also replace the ARB mounting bushes and drop links to bring the front up to scratch.

The rear will simply be replacing the ARB mounting bushes and droplinks which are already on order. :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Doing it that way makes very good sense Mick :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Sadly I have to report a defect in my airbag replacement work at the dealers. I took the car out last night for the first time after dark since having the work done. I turned on the lights and was greeted with this view of the centre console:
The console last night
The console last night
It may not be obvious to you what the problem is until you see that picture superimposed on one from before the work:
Spoiler: show
The console before the work
The console before the work
It should now be clear what the issue is. I suspect a multi plug has been left out but on the plus side I called the dealer who was exceedingly helpful. They said I could take the car up on Monday and leave it for them to sort as they would have to remove part of the dash again. Unfortunately they do not have a spare car for Monday but are happy to do it on Tuesday week when they do have a spare car to loan me. So Tuesday 12th it is and maybe a chance to sample another of their new cars, chances are I'll get the same but you never know!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

See if they'll let you have a go of one of these Mick...

https://www.buckinghamstanley.co.uk/sub ... -solterra/

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

As you know Neil I'm not afraid to ask so we'll see what happens, although I can't say I'm over enamoured with the EV against the Hybrid I had last time :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

MOT advisory update: The parts are gathering, just waiting for rear ARB mounts and I'll be ready to go!! :-D
Getting there!
Getting there!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 13:16 MOT advisory update: The parts are gathering, just waiting for rear ARB mounts and I'll be ready to go!! :-D
Excellent :D I'll bring overalls and Mr. Rattle Gun with me tomorrow :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well the final parts arrived at lunchtime so being a nice enough day I thought I'll nip outside and swap out the rear ARB mounts and droplinks. Easy enough, undo two bolts and two nuts each side, swap out the parts and do them up again!!

It didn't quite work out that way. The offside drop links on the car were absolutely seized and after going through the usual processes, penetrating fluid, heat, bigger bar etc and thereby wasting a couple of hours I decided to go for the big one and got the angle grinder out. Ten minutes later the drop link was off and I swapped it out and then expected similar issues with the mounting bushes. However pleasantly surprised there as they came undone 'normally' and replacing that bush took all of ten minutes in total.

However by that time it was getting close to SWMBO getting home and needing to put her car away so I opted to tidy up and do the other side tomorrow!! With Jim coming down there is a slight possibility that we'll get the front done but don't bank on it!! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

We'll try our best Mick ;)
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I set about replacing the rear nearside drop link and ARB mount this morning and was just torquing up the last bolt as Jim arrived and I felt the rain spitting on my head. We took the obvious decision pf abandoning work at that point and got on with our other activities we had planned including a very decent lunch at The Five Horseshoes in Little Berkhamsted which rendered us unfit for heavy work. A jolly good day all round and I will have another attempt tomorrow weather permitting!! :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Did Jim swipe half your lunch from your plate?
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Shove it in Pub of the Day Mick, I like an unusual name and I had a sneaking feeling I had seen it on the FCF before.

Yes it has, and it was you who gave it a name check, as a response to this post from me.

viewtopic.php?p=648468#p648468

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey