dpf full - a new one & I fed up now and I've not even got going

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nikeastwood

dpf full - a new one & I fed up now and I've not even got going

Post by nikeastwood »

so my new to me 207 HDi came with a full DPF, along with many things wrong that will have definatley led to it getting full:

clogged air filter
non working MAF
split boost pipe
EGR stuck open
lack of general servicing

I have fixed all of those faults [brand new dpf (and pressure sensor just in case), new MAF, new boost pipe, and service items], and its been on a couple of trips where it ran well and hit good mpg, no fault codes were coming back on, it was all looking good.

due to a fault with my other car, I have had to put my 207 into use and that started yesterday morning, however today I got the Depollution Message on dash as well as engine light.

the diagnostics say the DPF is clogged again, and is logged as a permanant fault [I am using multidiag/delphi for this, its easier to use]

I am at the end of my tether with it, I have spent a decent amount of money putting things right [and then a further wad having cam belt done!] and its kicked me in the round bits.

out in it last night it smelt a bit diesely, as in fumes, my injectors are sealed right, when I put new dpf in the cat pipe had no cat in it [previous owner must have knocked it out] so that wont help, will putting an empty dpf in work? [to clear dpf full fault?]

just dont know what to do now, I am glad I didnt sell my other car because I think I might be needing it and perhaps, selling this 207 at a massive loss.

fed up.
no egr, no dpf, no problems.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: dpf full - a new one & I fed up now and I've not even got going

Post by GiveMeABreak »

When you replaced the DPF, did you actually inform the Engine ECU that you had replaced it? If not, you will be getting warnings forever.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I try to stay ignorant of anything related to deisel engines, but I would think that "dpf full" and "dpf clogged" are different faults with different causes.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The differential pressure sensors are not generally used for regeneration decisions - but are a 'back up' of sorts that can trigger a warning if over a certain level, but the replacement filter does have to be notified to the Engine ECU as it also bases replacement on mileage / amount of additive that has gone through the filter.

But the warning can also come on if assisted regeneration has not been successful after multiple attempts / strategies, in which case it will throw the 'Partilcle filter at risk of clogging' warning up. So if there have been multiple failed attempts to regenerate like short journeys, exhaust gasses not getting to the required 450 °C, or the engine being switched off during a regeneration phase, then these can lead to quick blocking of the filter if it happens repeatedly.

So lots of reasons for messages and all the scenarios need to be looked at really for cause. :)

Marc
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 17:37 When you replaced the DPF, did you actually inform the Engine ECU that you had replaced it? If not, you will be getting warnings forever.
yes, I did.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I can only suggest you use Diagbox / Planet to try and clear the fault codes again.

If you still have specific fault codes coming back again, post them up here after you have tried to clear them.

Marc
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

could it be the lack of CAT might have caused it? if the cat isnt burning off residue/unburnt fuel then its going straight into the DPF?

I am gonna go on with diagbox and set it to a new DPF, if it flags up right away then will have to go from there, I have found a secondhand cat/dpf locally for a reasonable price
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I expect that the catalytic converter is necessary to pre-heat the exhaust gasses to kick off the re regeneration reaction in the DPF.
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

^thats my thought as well on the lack of cat

on my way home from work this morning the depolution fault didnt come on and engine light stayed off

engine is running very lumpy at idle, is hesitant to initially pick up

back at home, with it idleing I undone the MAF, it instantly ran smoother, I didnt drive it unplugged, the MAF was new at start of august, I have asked seller if they can send another - doubt they will
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Try cleaning the MAF - just spray it with carburettor cleaner or MAF cleaner. Don't touch anything in there and don't knock or drop it.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 09:04
But the warning can also come on if assisted regeneration has not been successful after multiple attempts / strategies, in which case it will throw the 'Partilcle filter at risk of clogging' warning up. So if there have been multiple failed attempts to regenerate like short journeys, exhaust gasses not getting to the required 450 °C, or the engine being switched off during a regeneration phase, then these can lead to quick blocking of the filter if it happens repeatedly.
Is the critical part in this, and the most likely to fail, the Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor. Just a thought dont know what the 307 has. I presume the 307 would come out of the factory with a Cat and a DPF. The vectra had them both in the same casing cat at front DPF at the rear.

Back in my vectra days, a simple multimeter test of the resistance of the Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor, proved it to be faulty, and its replacement kicked off subsequent proper regen.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

A faulty exhaust temp sensor would almost certainly log a fault code relating to it.
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 09:04 The differential pressure sensors are not generally used for regeneration decisions - but are a 'back up' of sorts that can trigger a warning if over a certain level, but the replacement filter does have to be notified to the Engine ECU as it also bases replacement on mileage / amount of additive that has gone through the filter.
my engine will not be getting any additive pumped into the tank as there is an open circuit on the wiring or sensor for the cap

I think I want to get the whole thing mapped out, I am wondering if a cat pipe [the one that has just a cat in it] will fit off a berlingo of the same size engine.

I told the ECU after fitting the new DPF that it had been replaced, but I think the lack of cat in my existing chamber isnt helping things, somebody has been there before and done that bodge.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It wasn't immediately obvious to me from your earlier posts that the CAT was actually missing - but yes, that will have an impact.

It's unfortunate if this has been done outside of your ownership - I've heard quite a few cases of similar stories from others and it's the owners down the line that get nobbled for fixing it.

Of course, we can't condone any crippling / removal of emissions devices for legal and moral reasons as it's illegal to remove them, but I'm surprised it wasn't picked up when the DPF was fitted. You may have issues at MOT time as the tests are a lot tighter now.

Marc
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

I fitted the dpf, I knew it needed one when I bought the car [car was cheap, I knew it had some faults], while it was off I looked up and cat is gone
nocat.jpg