remove hdi turbo and ex. manifold, easy?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nikeastwood

Re: remove hdi turbo and ex. manifold, easy?

Post by nikeastwood »

right, I have been on a 60 mile drive this afternoon mainly on the motorway and not over 70mph cos I wanted to just take it easy

it doesnt seem to pull very well above 3000rpm, in fact it feels like it doesnt have a turbo, fuel consumption was around 47mpg and I expect it to be much better, perhaps not a massive amount more but better, the mrs 308 a bigger car will easy do 52-55mpg on the same route.

I have my other halfs 308 with the same 1.6hdi 110bhp engine, to compare it with, and hers will keep giving way above 3k rpm

now, when I had the old [possibly original] turbo and this chinese one side by side for comparisons, I noted that the rod that the actuator pulls or pushes is adjusted very differently, in fact the little VGT lever at the top is touching the oil supply pipe [when fitted, in fact I had to use two washers under the pipe to allot the lever some room] and the other didnt, there is some sort of stop adjuster too and that was different too as to how it was set, chances are the chinese turbo isnt calibrated and is just put together quickly and cheaply [deffo!]. even before all the faults were fixed the engine pulled well on my trip home from the seller, more or less equally my other halfs 308 so with faults fixed it should have been good.

there was no smoke coming out of the exhaust, its running clean and any excess oil on the manifold or turbo has now been burnt off although it does seem to be very hot - I was thinking about that on my trip, I had operated manually by software the additive pump, a few times, I believe that the additive causes it to run very hot to burn off deposits in the dpf, if there is too much additive now been pumped into the tank then that could be a reason its so hot currently. ? anyway temp gauges all seemed fine on the run and in a bit of standstill traffic it got to about 92deg and no more.

one thing I do have is time, I think am just going to put the other turbo back on, I have perhaps jumped the gun because I didnt get chance to see how the car went with that original turbo after I fixed many of the problems, end of the day chinese turbo was free and it will probably do as parts, certainly the CHRA and if that was used I would set all the adjustments the exact same as the original. [I have rebuilt VGT turbos before, on fiat JTD engines]

original turbo although oily somewhat, didnt have any play in the shaft so I may as well just swap it back.

anyway thanks for reading my notes, learning all the time! me and you.
no egr, no dpf, no problems.
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

oh and the small blowing from that gap in the v band, seems to be ok now after a run / heat and vibration cycle
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

so I thought I would plug diagbox back in

have EGR fault[s] now, so perhaps thats why it was losing power? I cant remember the codes now but I will have another connect up tomorrow

how easy is it to change on a 207? it looks tricky to get the lower airbox out, I think I tried when I changed the air filter but didnt want to force it.

on a 1.6HDi Berlingo M59 I once put an EGR Blanking plate in for somebody, dont recall it being hard to do but there is much more room round the back and top of engine on that, I am not saying I want to run a plate because it causes more problems with engine light etc, but to fit one to see if power improves? if it does then out with the old EGR and in with a new one?

thoughts please, they are valued
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

If I need a turbo I'd not bother with a whole unit I'd get a ready balanced chra cartridge unit. It's basicly the turbo core that you fit into yur old housing. I fitted one to a C5 110 at 155k or so and the car went onto over 200k. Clutch issue killed the car sadly.

*post edited after accidental incorrect advice given. Sorry..
Last edited by citroenxm on 29 Aug 2021, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Moderator note:
Just a reminder that it is Forum policy not to encourage defeat or disablement of O.E. anti-pollution systems, or to allow posting of details of how to do this could be carried out.
The above posts will be left intact for the moment, as they are aimed at solving other problems.
Chris
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

yesterday evening I took the air pipe off between MAF and Turbo, I was expecting the usual dribble of oil that you get in here inside this pipe and it can sometimes pool up just at the turbo inlet, but to my surprise it was bone dry!
2021-08-28 17.10.27.jpg
looking under the car today, I have no spots of oil and even across the top of the engine its dry too, unusual!
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

hear me out and let me know if this suggestion is feasible

I am going to try and get to my EGR valve tomorrow, I intend to take the electronic motor bit off leaving the mechanical bit still on the engine, will check if it moves freely and clean what I can with carbon cleaner spray, I may as well spray some egr cleaner though it with engine hot as well [not with motor off]

if the motor part is knackered, I could put the motor part of another egr on couldnt I?
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

slightly annoyed that I didnt get any pics to go with this.

anyway I removed the air pipes and diesel filter and bracket, the EGR was connected (had a feeling it might not be) and I removed the top motor part, held by three small torx to the EGR main body

the little plastic collar attached to the motor was free and worked against its spring and if twisted it pulled itself back, as there was only me here I didnt plug it into the car and test it as I couldnt see the thing from inside the car with laptop to check.

the mechanism inside the main EGR body was stuck though, a pair of pliers got it moving and with some carb cleaner spray in there it was very free to move, I adjusted it all back to the position it should be in and put it all back together.

dont think its any different, although engine does sound smoother.

I am insuring the car tomorrow afternoon for a couple of hours so I will see how it is power wise on the road as its going to have its cam belt etc done, if its still down on power I will ask the pug place I am taking it to to quote me for a them to fit a new EGR, not tomorrow it will have to be at a later date when I have a bit more money!
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

white exec wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 07:01 a reminder that it is Forum policy not to encourage defeat or disablement of O.E. anti-pollution systems, or to allow posting of details of how to do this could be carried out
I am not, it will be retained, in fact I have just bought a new EGR Valve
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

after bring car back from having its cam belt etc done it was still not right on power, since then and covered elsewhere on thsi forum I have changed the back brakes as one caliper was seized causing brake drag

anyway, i have put a new top part of EGR Valve on, and made sure the mechanical part of the valve was free, tested it using the software, and cleared any errors relating.

I also put the original turbo back on yesterday

today I took out more temp insurance, with the plan to take it for a 30 mile driver up the motorway to see how it went

HAPPY

I ended up going to north wales, and have just got back from a 200 mile test!! its going well, and my fuel consumption according the trip computer is now 65mpg on the motorway, dropping down to 60mpg after some slower and twistier roads on the way back.

that'll do for me!
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

nikeastwood wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 15:55
I ended up going to north wales, and have just got back from a 200 mile test!! its going well, and my fuel consumption according the trip computer is now 65mpg on the motorway, dropping down to 60mpg after some slower and twistier roads on the way back.

that'll do for me!
North Wales. My neck of the large woods.. That's pretty goood mpg figures.. I don't think my xantia got quite that much..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
nikeastwood

Post by nikeastwood »

citroenxm wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 09:56 North Wales. My neck of the large woods.. That's pretty goood mpg figures.. I don't think my xantia got quite that much..
I like to travel your fine country a lot, although I have never been to south wales.

from my base in cheshire, north wales is 40 mins away, I love the A55 especially where it hugs the coast in Conwy area and the tunnels, the A470 is a fav road, as is the A5 from Bangor to Betws. The A543 from A5 to denbigh is a lovely road to test a car on. When I am on the road with my Pug thats where I will be heading.