Common Scams Section

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Common Scams Section

Post by mickthemaverick »

I can't view that without being logged in Gibbo which means joining which I don't want to do. Can you copy and paste the content into here? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This:
Attachments
Scammy.png
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Thanks Eric, something I always look out for because I am OCD about online security anyway. However very useful for anyone less aware and I have just pointed it out to SWMBO who was not aware so useful to me in that way!! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Crafty little buggers :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

But it should be far easier to tell if you hover the mouse over the link or right click it to get the full address, you will likely see it's from some obscure address which should also be a giveaway.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Wow, that was a subtle difference!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Michel wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 08:40 A common eBay scam happened to me. I ordered some expensive jewellery for Mrs Michel, but they sent me motorcycle parts instead. Fortunately they fitted my F800R.
:rofl2:
Husky. :?
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Had one the other morning 6.45am , thinking oh no hope its not a family thing, then it was hello im John smith im calling about your loft insulation (john smith had a strong african accent ) i kept repeating everything he said , he then asked if i jad a problem to which i replied yes (-expletive removed-) like you calling at crap o clock aboit stuff in a loft when i live in the middle of a tower block next to the hotel all you and your mates are living in John , he hung up . I live in a house...
Husky. :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nice one Husky :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Scam.png
momag46
(Donor 2020)

Post by momag46 »

When I was at work, talking to the IT guy, he reserved a scam phone call. He let the guy jabber on for a while. He then asked where the guy had got his number from because it was a top secret establishment and they were just tracking the call, as you can guess, the phone went dead. The IT guy said it works every time!
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

This is not a scam as such but I believe an attempt at 'extracting money with menaces' from the less careful motorists among us.

A few weeks ago I met my mate Bob for lunch at The Harvester in Garston. I drove into their side entrance and parked straight away and walked across to the veranda door. Bob's car was already in the car park so rather than wait to be attended to I went in search of him knowing he would be at a table. He was and I joined him for a very pleasant lunch. Afterwards I left and came home thinking no more about it.

Last week I received a Parking Charge Notice from EuroCarParks for the parking in the Harvester car park. I had the receipt so immediately appealed on the grounds that there were no notices where I had parked and no staff member advised me about a system to enter my number plate. Bob of course didn't mention it having assumed I would have already dealt with it when I found him.

This morning I received an email from them in response to my appeal:
A screenshot of the email as it arrived.
A screenshot of the email as it arrived.
As you can see the immediate words are 'PCM now requires payment' and no reference to the attachment.

Then instructions how to make the payment.

Opening the attachment yields this:
The attachment
The attachment
Only when you've bothered to read all the small print do you reach the part that confirms the PCN has been cancelled.
The document is signed illegibly with no printed name, just a faceless job title.

I think that is diabolical, the cancellation notice should be at the top of the main body of the email to stop less careful people paying up without reading the whole attachment, (Oh silly me that is clearly what they are hoping for :evil: ), and the author should include their name.

That for me can be classified as a scam!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You may also be interested in the apparent responsibility of the driver when on private land ????
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I thought that it was a legal requirement that signage should be clear and placed where it can easily be seen.
I very rarely go anywhere that requires parking charges other than hospitals, parking is largely free around here as long as you don't exceed 90~120 minutes and I don't hang around anywhere that long.
PePiPoo might be interested in your experience Mick.
http://www.pepipoo.com/