Pickled Egg Quiz

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023

Re: Pickled Egg Quiz

Post by bobins »

Indeed so, James. Have some points :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

So, here's a challenge for you quiz types.
Can you guess what vehicle these parts belong to from the picture, and the fact that vehicle used MK2 Cortina indicators?

Much to my disbelief, I got the answer , first time 🤣

Make, model, year(ish)
Attachments
Own work
Own work
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Tricky one, not making much progress and the Cortina Mk2 indicators clue not currently leading anywhere. The Zephyr/Zodiac Mk 4 (66-72) has similar front indicators and if the mystery car did use them then it would most likely have to be in the period 1966 to 1970 the production years of the MK II.

From the pic I am guessing the engine is a DOHC 12V Straight 6 of which Jaguar XK6 would be my current guess. Is that a torque converter lying around if so its an auto.

Not exactly very precise, probably not that close, see what others come up with.

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 15 Mar 2023, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

My thoughts took me to the Triumph TR6 mainly because of the cam cover shape which is similar to the Stag I rebuilt. I have no idea about the indicators but the apparent torque converter puts me off that scent as I cannot remember whether the TRs were available in auto. So maybe a Vitesse? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I have thoughts it was a fibreglass small-volume open-top sports car... The MKII Cortina indicators I can picture on it and I think they may have been upside-down compared to the Cortina...

Not a particularly attractive looking car if my hazy picture recall is accurate... So unlikely to be a TVR...

I'm thinking hard but for now that's my best shot for now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I have a vague memory of TVR using Ford lights. Probably wrong though, usually am.
Same with Bristol.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 08:57 I have a vague memory of TVR using Ford lights. Probably wrong though, usually am.
You are not wrong there Steve Cortina Mk 1 for definite!

Mk 2 Cortina Very Probably
TVR Tuscan V6 rear left
Lebubu93, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

So it was a TVR I was thinking of ;) That's the one, the Tuscan :D Lights upside-down...

I was right about it being not their finest looker... I think it looks horrible :( And I love most of the later TVR styling...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

It's looking like I might have been 2/3 of the way there with the TR then, just needed a V sign to be on the right track!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

CitroJim wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 05:27 I have thoughts it was a fibreglass small-volume open-top sports car... The MKII Cortina indicators I can picture on it and I think they may have been upside-down compared to the Cortina...

Not a particularly attractive looking car if my hazy picture recall is accurate... So unlikely to be a TVR...

A production car, made in your local area Jim!
NewcastleFalcon

Does the assembled throng think it is a DOHC straight 6? The Ford Essex V6 as fitted to many TVR's including the one in the TVR Tuscan with the Cortina Mk II lights in my picture has a single cam-in-block. The 2500 Triumph Straight 6 fitted to some other TVR models, which you can see on this TVR Vixen 2500, looks a bit different at the top ie the shiny chrome bit, than I would imagine from Mike's pic of the bits and pieces lying around. Does have the Cortina Mk 2 Lights though!

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 16 Mar 2023, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 10:40
CitroJim wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 05:27 I have thoughts it was a fibreglass small-volume open-top sports car... The MKII Cortina indicators I can picture on it and I think they may have been upside-down compared to the Cortina...

A production car, made in your local area Jim!
Surely not an Aston Mike? They were made in my very local area 🤔
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Looks like it may be this

Aston Martin DBS engine
ColinMB, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

But the Cortina Mk 2 Indicator Lights....The front ones maybe

AstonMartinDB-S-1969-avant
Rundvald, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Neil is spot on! It is indeed. At first I thought it was a Jag, but the chap who's restoring the car corrected me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wow!
Jim