Toolbag Tales-Homemade and improvised tools

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Toolbag Tales-Homemade and improvised tools

Post by CitroJim »

A lot of sparking at the commutator may indicate shorted turns in the armature windings...

There is a special tool for checking the integrity of armatures called a 'Growler'..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growler_( ... al_device)

Many old-school vehicle workshops had one for testing dynamo and starter motor armatures...

Fantastic tools if you can find one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

A recently purchased cultivator (thingy for churning soil up with).
It had a bit of slogger from new, the bolt securing the handle to the shaft was smaller than the holes it had to pass through. I knew it would fail eventually but not as soon as it has.

A bit of artisan bodging and we are back in business. A bit of some sort of tubing, perfectly stepped at one end to fit both inner and outer tubing, a chair leg rammed inside as a bit of additional strengthening, new correctly sized holes for the through bolt and a handful of self- drilling screws placed with random precision. Fixerizated as our American brethren would be likely to say.
Not pretty by any means and I will probably replace some or all of the screws with smaller through bolts.

Won't be keeping it outside any more as when I tipped it up half a pint of black and smelly water poured out.

The first photo's before the bodgering took place was to send to the seller for a bit of a moan and to demonstrate the inherent weakness of the design and construction.
IMG_20231018_114129636.jpg
IMG_20231018_114134695_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231018_114141866_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231018_124505043.jpg
IMG_20231018_124526954.jpg
IMG_20231018_151812192_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231018_170607581_HDR.jpg
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

thorter wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 16:45 Regarding multimeter testing on commutators...
Thanks for that informative post, the video I posted I found after I had done the simple continuity exercise with the commutator "fingers". Taking your post and the vid I may carry-out a bit of a more precise exercise noting the actual resistances and doing the tests as suggested.

CitroJim wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 17:14 There is a special tool for checking the integrity of armatures called a 'Growler'..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growler_( ... al_device)
On a trivia note This is also known as a Growler.
The definition of a beer growler is quite simple. It’s an airtight jug you can use for transporting beer. If you like a beer from a particular brewery so much that you want to take a large helping home with you, a growler is a perfect tool.

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 18 Oct 2023, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Gosh that's terrible quality/ poor design on the cultivator/ manual rotovator! I'd be having a go at welding that back together, though looks very thin wall tube so perhaps an exercise in frustration.

I wholeheartedly recommend the electric equivalent, this is £30 second hand Facebook marketplace bargain I use:
IMG-20210610-WA0002.jpeg
Please excuse the cheesy grin - rather pleased with my purchase!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

That is far too industrial, mine is only needed in very small areas and that would be too much.
I did consider welding but don't have the necessary so would mean a trip to the car mechanics. Bodgery will suffice.
It is one of these:
s-l500.png
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Ah yes, know the type. Have used one previously. Good for compost heap churning.

:)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

That's its main use currently.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I had one like Matt's used it for a potato patch but the next time I got it out the motor failed.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 09:35 I had one like Matt's used it for a potato patch but the next time I got it out the motor failed.
Mine was second hand but seller said she'd used it once (where it promptly ran off and climbed a bush! At which point she decided "not for me, this!" :-D ) it did look brand new, the tines still had most of their black paint.

The gearbox was bone dry! Two Allen grub screws so I put a completely unmeasured amount of spare gearbox oil into it (some EP-90 from a Mk 2 Golf my parents had maybe 30 years ago! Well worth saving half a 500ml bottle of oil since then!) - ran noticeably cooler with some lubrication!!

It's done a large expanse of our garden which was hard packed clay from digger running over it when I was shed building. Then about half next door's garden too. Not killed it off yet, maybe I've just been very lucky!
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Neil, I have no idea why your post about Growlers has put a smile on my face.... actually I do know... [-X
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 13:44
MattBLancs wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 21:41 Winner so far, size match:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182084079682?
£4.99 / pair free p&p
and they are the ones I have sent for today. :-D Thanks again Matt.
Arrived today, fitted, didn't resurrect the drill. Sparking still, and everything getting hot enough to smoke, with the armature itself heating up nicely.

Thanks for the assistance info and interest from Matt, Thorter, Jim, Ryan Steve but as in my first post about it the old drill has thrown in the towel now and I have cut it's plug off to prevent me fruitlessly faffing about with it any more, as a prelude to it making its way to the recycling small electrical appliances container at the tip! :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Oh, dear! A shame. I guess it's one of those "you win some, you loose some" games, sad it didn't pay off this time!

Question is: are your couple of minutes old brushes going on eBay as part worn or resigned to a "may come in useful in future" pile?

If you explained the "use" they've had (i.e. nearly none) and a nice cheaper than new price, it's the sort of thing someone like me would jump on if in the market for a set. (Though no black and decker drills here, so count me out this time)
NewcastleFalcon

MattBLancs wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 19:28 Question is: are your couple of minutes old brushes going on eBay as part worn or resigned to a "may come in useful in future" pile?
I have never sold anything on e-bay Matt, although for little bits and pieces and the odd car part I do a very occasional bit of arms-length "can you order this for me please" buying from armchair to armchair at chez falcon. Far less hassle than me having to remember passwords I never use on the very infrequent occasions I want to on-line shop.

The drill, with its rich resources of copper, steel and plastic and a couple of tiny specks of carbon will be going to the recycling centre lock stock and barrel. The "may come in useful in future" pile is a dangerous thing. Results in many half-tins of paint being accumulated, before eventually they make the inevitable journey in a clear out many years later. The carbon brushes although tiny, could become a tip of a hoarding iceberg :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 09:41
MattBLancs wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 19:28...resigned to a "may come in useful in future" pile?
The carbon brushes although tiny, could be a tip of a hoarding iceberg :-D

Neil
Oh absolutely! It maybe as well to ignore my suggestion for that reason alone - I've very much got that hoarding tendancy, bad! :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Doesn't quite fit the thread title but this woman (she is older than she looks) is very impressive. Just some of her many skills. All using quite rudimentary tools.