Toolbag Tales-Homemade and improvised tools

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Toolbag Tales-Homemade and improvised tools

Post by myglaren »

That would entail the purchase of the said item. :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Proper label remover will do the trick for sure... I use it when needed and it's never failed me yet... Stinks horribly though :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 16:46 Proper label remover will do the trick for sure... I use it when needed and it's never failed me yet... Stinks horribly though :(
The Celebrations lid Label is way beyond your common or garden self adhesive label. I remain to be convinced that any proper label remover, or cobbled together label removing recipe from Petrol to concentrated nitric acid has any chance of removing it.

The challenge remains to be answered, bring the first-hand evidence to the thread in original pictures or video, of a celebrations lid from which you have beautifully removed the top label, and the method which worked :-D

Until then the folded over can lid reigns supreme :-D

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Oct 2023, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Not an answer to the label removal question, but in your application is the answer not two lids back to back? Yes you'd have to eat twice as much chocolate but, err, I'm sure there's downside
Spoiler: show
other that cost of a tub of them!
NewcastleFalcon

That would have worked Matt but at £4.50 a piece and two tubs required to obtain the 2 extra lids, I am far too skinflinty for that so that solution got rejected. Could have just painted the label side red of course, but it turned into a bit of an "I've started so I'll finish" label removal exercise eventually escalating to the folded over can lid :-D

If you aren't a follower of "one for the Train Buffs" ... the finished decorations using the lids...

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Not seen the train buffs thread (well, have seen it but not dug into it, yet) but looks good.

Think if you'd gone down the paint route then not far off just cutting circles from ply, hardboard etc and paint both sides.

Only just twigged it is an outdoor application, interested to see how long they take to fade to pink! Red seems difficult to find a UV stable pigment

(Edited as typo "gone down the pain route" sounds like a diversion into sado masochism! :rofl2: )
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 09:04
The challenge remains to be answered, bring the first-hand evidence to the thread in original pictures or video, of a celebrations lid from which you have beautifully removed the top label, and the method which worked :-D

Until then the folded over can lid reigns supreme :-D

Neil
As this seems to be a Topic that Neil keeps coming back to, I decided to have a go. Surprisingly, it didn't need a Marathon session on it, it was actually Malteesier than it looks. I thought I'd try some Hexane / Toluene based brake cleaner to soften up the adhesive and - hey presto - no Black Magic was needed, in fact everything's coming up Roses :) The label comes off quite easily with nothing more than a screwdriver, so I can Revel in my success 8-) Perhaps we should consider it the cure All, Gold standard 8-[

I did consider attaching it to my front garden gate similar to what Neil's done with his, but I thought it might make for questionable Quality Street furniture. #-o
If I can be bothered to remove all the remaining bits of label, I might see how it fares as a frisbee - it might be quite Aero-dynamic :roll:
Celebrations lid before - own work
Celebrations lid before - own work
Celebrations lid during - own work
Celebrations lid during - own work
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Magic :D Shame you couldn't have fitted a bounty in there somewhere Robin ;) I've been scratching my head on that one and I can't either!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

A miserable effort there bobins if I may say so, I find it easier to use a bit of wood as a lie on bar and then it stops the shreds getting too crunchy while you go through a galaxy of options to find a way that works. Of course if you don't have a suitable piece of wood you can always use a spare milk tray from the dairy and then apply different solvents betwix and between rubbing with the screwdriver. If you keep your eyes open at night you may find a fox to lick the label off but watch out for a pack of dogs as he's bound to have a bounty on his head! #-o :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 18:25 A miserable effort there bobins if I may say so, I find it easier to use a bit of wood as a lie on bar and then it stops the shreds getting too crunchy while you go through a galaxy of options to find a way that works. Of course if you don't have a suitable piece of wood you can always use a spare milk tray from the dairy and then apply different solvents betwix and between rubbing with the screwdriver. If you keep your eyes open at night you may find a fox to lick the label off but watch out for a pack of dogs as he's bound to have a bounty on his head! #-o :-D

You've done it Mick! Well done :) Bountiful!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

The wordsmithing and poetry are excellent but the Celebrations are a bit premature...

The finished product needs presenting not just the work in progress. Until then the folded over can lid continues to reign supreme....and there's more.

The finish has to be better/smoother and more scratch free than produced by the can lid to take the crown. These solvents are proving quite useless on their own, and the abrasion of a metal instrument rather than a quick mop with a cloth is the true remover of the label. The screwdriver is less effective than the folded over can lid in this respect.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 10:19The screwdriver is less effective than the folded over can lid in this respect.
Puts me in mind of
From https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/376402481352920278/
From https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/376402481352920278/
:-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I have a tub of some other sort of confection, possibly Quality Street.
I can't simulate the Falcon process as the artwork is screen printed, but this:
DSCF3977.JPG
Is my tool of choice for so many things and removing clagged on labels is just one of them.

Not a DIY tool but a free 'supertool' with a pack of paint brushes bought from the now long gone Manders shop in Gateshead. I wasn't impressed with it at first but it has proved invaluable and not many days go by without it being pressed into use. Had it since 1984.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Have you tried brake fluid on your lid? :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 13:14 Have you tried brake fluid on your lid? :)
I am already home and hosed with my celebrations lids Gibbo, and they are gloriously in situ next to the signal box homage at chez falcon. It's for the challenge accepters to come up with the solvent/method and supply the evidence to knock the folded over can lid off its perch. :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey