Tartan Travel Rugs and other Nostalgic Motoring Accessories

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Tartan Travel Rugs and other Nostalgic Motoring Accessories

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Another thread some newer members may not realise exists.

Spotted in a Triumph Stag for sale at Mathewsons this coming weekend, 70's written all over them but the beaded seat cover is by no means relegated to history, you can still get them.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The thought of sitting for an extended time on a load of beads never did and still does not appeal...

Maybe I just don't have enough natural 'padding' to fully benefit from them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Parking Lights

...a nostalgic motoring accessory, but it was the Law at one time to display parking lights if you wanted to park your car on the Queen's highway at night, in the days before built-up area floodlighting, and probably still is for roads where the speed limit is over 30mph.

Some contraption like this would be used

Nice name...the Ajax Car Parking Light
e-bay sale item
e-bay sale item
Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 30 Nov 2023, 13:23, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Interesting, I remember seeing some of that type during my rallying days. However I carried a pair of clip ons which could be used in the event of a breakdown/off in a competitive section. Because the car could end up pointing the wrong way the lights were separate so they could be attached to the bumpers in the correct way for other traffic. Very similar to these: :-D
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Here is the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations relevant section
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... ulation/24

Far too weighty of course. Embodied in the Highway Code here are the relevant rules.
3. Parking at night (248 to 252)

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space. Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
Law RVLR reg 24

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are

at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
in a recognised parking place or lay-by.
Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads,MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
Laws RVLR reg 24 & CUR reg 82(7)
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Nice one here., pics in link.
Here we have another marvelous Classentials Special Vintage Find! A beautiful 1950s / 1960s SEDAN Park-Lite ‘the Continental’ parking lamp in like new condition, new old stock (NOS)! In the 1950s and 1960s cars did not feature built-in parking lights. So when you had to park at a dark location (meaning everywhere outside cities and villages in those days) you had to fit a parking lamp to your car for safety reasons. The earliest models were rather crude converted lorry side-lamps but this SEDAN Park-Lite is a beautifully designed model which can be fitted on top of your side (rollup) window. With the window / roof / doors shut and locked it cannot be taken off by the greedy hands of a thief!
This accessory is beautifully made (British manufacture) with a chromed metal central frame, matt chrome hinge, red and white lenses, white wire and an old style dashboard mains plug. Included is the original chrome dashboard socket which was delivered with the lamp. In the 1950s and early 1960s this type of 6V / 12V mains socket was widely used before the ‘cigarette lighter’ 12V socket was introduced. The lamp can be rotated on the hinge so it can be used on both sides of a car in the United Kingdom (RHD) and on the continent (LHD) with the red and the white lenses projecting light in the right direction. The lamp is 12 Volts and 5 Watt and the device measures 10 x 6 x 4.5 centimetres. The wire length is 115 centimetres.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

These were the most popular/cheapest.
Attachments
Parking lamp.jpg
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Looks very familiar.
NewcastleFalcon

Feast your eyes, the absolute chapter and verse on this particular 1960's accessory for the in-car picnic. Very briefly appeared accidentally in the background of a "findit-fixit-flogit" episode as detritus on the floor of a vehicle.

Need a car with wind-down windows though, but yes I well remember both the packaging which for some reason was retained and the little trays slipped into after every use from many many in car picnics in the 60's and 70's.
e-bay sale item  £32 a tray now!
e-bay sale item £32 a tray now!
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 08:00 Feast your eyes, the absolute chapter and verse on this particular 1960's accessory for the in-car picnic. Very briefly appeared accidentally in the background of a "find-it-fix it-flog it" episode as detritus on the floor of a vehicle.

Need a car with wind-down windows though, but yes I well remember both the packaging which for some reason was retained and the little trays slipped into after every use from many many in car picnics in the 60's and 70's.

Neil
Or get a Austin Westminster ............
images.jpg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting