First Cars-car tales and pictures

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Nostalgia-car tales and pictures-first cars.....

Post by CitroJim »

Huskyxantia wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 09:53
Jim , you had hair back then ....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Re: First Cars-car tales and pictures

Post by Gibbo2286 »

No pictures back then but this is what I bought first, £5 to buy £5 for a used engine £5 for a respray £3 for odds and sods, on the road for under £20.
Attachments
A Cambridge.jpg
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

No pictures but dad's first car was a Standard eight (or possibly ten).
Mine was a Hillman Minx. Two hundred quid in 1978. A heap if ever there was one.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 12:36 No pictures back then but this is what I bought first, £5 to buy £5 for a used engine £5 for a respray £3 for odds and sods, on the road for under £20.
What was that Eric? All cars of that period look the same to me... A bit like they do currently!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Looks like an Austin 10 to me Jim! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 12:56 Looks like an Austin 10 to me Jim! :)
When I was little, we used to have the remains of an Austin 10 in our field. Our chickens lived in it...

It was kept company by an Austin 7 Ruby and an Austin 7 special... All were scrapped when we moved to house with less acreage in 1967...

The Ruby was a runner and would occasionally be fired up for a trip around the field... Huge fun. Those three cars were my early toys :)
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It was a 1937 Austin 10 Cambridge, the company I worked for took it part exchange as a non-runner, the crankshaft was broken across the web,
Would get booed now for the reg no BNP14.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 14:20 Would get booed now for the reg no BNP14.
Quite...

Back in the days when vehicle registrations were first introduced (1904?), Dorset were allocated BF. This, at the time was seen as outrageous and all vehicles so registered had new numbers issued to them.

Once such case was an Ormonde Motorcycle originally issued BF1. It had it withdrawn and replaced by Y5, a Somerset allocation.

This bike is in the Haynes Motor museum back wearing its original BF1 plates although they may not be genuine. BF1 would likely have been reallocated when the fuss died down...

Thing is, nobody but nobody knows to this day just why BF was so offensive and outrageous in the early 1900s...

Sorry for going off-topic...
Jim

Forrester123

Post by Forrester123 »

My first motor was a 1937 Standard 8 tourer with a hood. It had flaps beneath the front windows so you could make the appropriate hand signals. It also had wooden floorboards which the water used to spray your feet,when it rained. I used it for a holiday to Torquay, but had to stop every 80 miles to let the oil cool down!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Even if photographs are missing, small mementoes of first cars may still survive. Lob them into the thread.
Searches have failed to turn it up, but I am pretty sure I have the chrome petrol cap from my first car.

My first car was a 1969 Austin Mini 1000 in Tartan Red, Complete lack of photographs of it unfortunately but I do have the Handbook, and its first ever Tax Disc in my ownership.

Obviously started off in minimum initial outlay mode with Tax for 4 months. Paid more in tax on that in 1978 for four months, than I do currently on my Leaf in 2023 for the full year :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 14:34 Thing is, nobody but nobody knows to this day just why BF was so offensive and outrageous in the early 1900s...
Possible answer here
viewtopic.php?p=782323#p782323

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Forrester123 wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 23:13 My first motor was a 1937 Standard 8 tourer with a hood. It had flaps beneath the front windows so you could make the appropriate hand signals. It also had wooden floorboards which the water used to spray your feet,when it rained. I used it for a holiday to Torquay, but had to stop every 80 miles to let the oil cool down!
We had one of those in the workshop back in the fifties it had sagged in the middle and the doors wouldn't shut.
Nunthewiser

Post by Nunthewiser »

Sorry no pictures exist.
My very first car (in the US) was a '69 Austin America automatic in BRG (you perhaps know them better as an MG 1300), which were fairly popular in the US at that time. This car had a curious arrangement where the engine oil and transmission were run from an 8 quart common sump. I was a stupid teenager and didn't get the cassette oil filter seated properly once and when I started it I had about 4 quarts of fresh oil running down the driveway. Never made that mistake again.
Last edited by Nunthewiser on 12 Dec 2023, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
NewcastleFalcon

Nunthewiser wrote: 09 Dec 2023, 18:09 Sorry no pictures exist.
My very first car (in the US) was a '69 Austin America automatic (you perhaps know them better as an MG 1300), which were fairly popular in the US at that time. This car had a curious arrangement where the engine oil and transmission were run from an 8 quart common sump. I was a stupid teenager and didn't get the cassette oil filter seated properly once and when I started it I had about 4 quarts of fresh oil running down the driveway. Never made that mistake again.
Welcome to the FCF and this thread. Worth giving it a revival. Always new contributions to be made, and a new audience to reach. Plenty of threads to enjoy in the Off-topic section of the forum, even if everything car wise is going smoothly.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

First Cars-car tales and pictures

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 22:25 I look back through different eyes now of course but at the time the black Morris Cowley was just awful, awful, awful! and my dad bought it off a field of cars at a scrapyard/makeshift garage in Durham known to locals as Olaf's.

Next one was a white Vauxhall Victor Super-that was better. Still column change and bench seats but...cooler by miles. We got a recon engine for that one and used one of those stickers which you just never see these days "Please Pass-Running in" :) Remember them :?:
...and what should turn up at Mathewsons for their forthcoming sale at the weekend only an example of exactly the same make and model in gleaming white as family car number 3 was and looking pretty good in the still pics from certain viewpoints :-D Far more appealing than the Black Cowley!

Lot listing
https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lo ... 8&pn=1&g=1

Still pic

Moving pics Sound and Vision

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey