Lucas EPIC Injection Pump Overhaul Guide

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
Donor 2024

Re: Lucas EPIC Injection Pump Overhaul Guide

Post by moizeau »

That's the only one as far as I can remember, and not in the kit, the rest are just o rings
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
wesacosa
(Donor 2021)

Post by wesacosa »

I thought that, but found this from CitroJim on another part of the forum

"The other possibility is that one of the ESOS electrovalves within the pump is beginning to fail although the classic symptom of this is that the engine runs on for a while after cutting the ignition. You've not reported this so hopefully, they're OK as to change them is a pump strip job although it is a task just on the bleeding edge of DIY feasability. The ESOS electrovalves are a little analagous to the stop solenoid in a normal pump but they also modulate to control fuel delivery and timing. They fail because the viton rubber tips on their valves begin to break up"
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

It the pump sees that the stop solenoid ( red nipple) isn't working it then uses the others (normal o rings) to cut the fuel off, which ones, I have no idea. This is why is runs on for a few seconds. Your leaks and the erratic idle would point to a refurb. These o rings are over 25 years old now and have gone through many heat cycles.
Pete
wesacosa
(Donor 2021)

Post by wesacosa »

yeah I agree that it needs a refurb, I am just still not 100% sure which valve tips need doing. I have found a kit with lots of seals and O rings but doesn't seem to have a the valve tips. I found another kit which has the ESOS valve, tip and spring. But I can't see anything which has multiple valve tips. The comment I copied above from CitroJim seems to be referring to multiple valve tips rather than a singular
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

There is only one valve tip, the rest are o rings at the base of the solenoids and also within, amongst various others
Pete
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

Here's a pic I've just found on 'puter
DSC00297.JPG
Pete
wesacosa
(Donor 2021)

Post by wesacosa »

moizeau wrote: 25 Aug 2023, 12:31 Here's a pic I've just found on 'puter
thanks, I think there are also some O rings on the other side too
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

Yep, there are a few
DSC00295.JPG
Note the top one in the pic is the stop solenoid. It's a different design to the other 3
DSC00294.JPG
Pete
wesacosa
(Donor 2021)

Post by wesacosa »

https://injectionpumps.co.uk/product/co ... uel-pumps/

Does this look like the correct seal kit for the XM Epic pump? Is the serial number easy to find on the pump with it still in situ on the car.?
Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

wesacosa wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 12:40 https://injectionpumps.co.uk/product/co ... uel-pumps/

Does this look like the correct seal kit for the XM Epic pump? Is the serial number easy to find on the pump with it still in situ on the car.?
Thanks
Yes, it does :D

Pump must be removed to overhaul it and replace all seals...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wesacosa
(Donor 2021)

Post by wesacosa »

CitroJim wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 14:13
wesacosa wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 12:40 https://injectionpumps.co.uk/product/co ... uel-pumps/

Thanks
Yes, it does :D

Pump must be removed to overhaul it and replace all seals...
great, thanks. Yeah I am thinking I might just buy the whole kit. With VAT and shipping it costs about £15 to buy the O rings and then I risk finding out it needs something else so I was going to buy the whole kit and then either just do the O rings and have the other parts for later , or maybe bite the bullet and take the whole pump off. I tried advertising the car for sale with the pump needing attention but so far haven't really had too much interest
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh yes, definitely go for the whole kit and then you have all you need. If you just get the bits you think you need there's always one you later find you do need!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wesacosa
(Donor 2021)

Post by wesacosa »

CitroJim wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 14:47 Oh yes, definitely go for the whole kit and then you have all you need. If you just get the bits you think you need there's always one you later find you do need!
I will probably get the stop valve plunger and tip kit too as if you turn the car off after a few seconds running it does run on a bit (although its fine during normal switching off).
wesacosa
(Donor 2021)

Post by wesacosa »

wondering what the difference is between this

https://injectionpumps.co.uk/product/lu ... unger-kit/
and this
https://injectionpumps.co.uk/product/lu ... d-plunger/

well maybe I didn't phrase that right. I can see the difference, what I was really asking is where does the item in the second link go in the pump ? (the first one is clearly the stop solenoid)
Myppi

Post by Myppi »

Hi! I was rebuilding my IP and now I have a washer with a triangle hole and I don't know where it goes. And my high pressure pump element are very tight to move, should they have a spring between them? I don't remember anymore because it's been a while since I disassembled it.