Anyone on here have "M-HDi" experience?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Anyone on here have "M-HDi" experience?

Post by ekjdm14 »

As per the title, I'm looking to pick the brains of anyone on here who has experience converting DW series engines to mechanical injection. Mainly RHY/RHZ because that's what I have laying around. (I need to get in touch with Darren Lobb really, can't remember the password for my 306oc account though & AFAIK he's only done 16v ones with stupid power lol)

Basically for now I'm after pointers on a part number/original application for mechanical DI injectors that either fit the RHZ head or can be modified fairly easily to do so. I'm sure I've read that the old 2.5 n/a/ Transit ones can be made to work with a modification to the hold-down & maybe extra copper washers, or perhaps it was Landy 200TDi ones.

The other option (in my head at least) was to source an XUD9 head & 85mm XUD11 pistons, shimming the HDi gudgeon pins to fit and end up with a bastardised IDI with 1997cc displacement. To be honest I'd rather stay with the DW10 head and DI pistong for "simplicity's sake" if that's even a thing with a project like this (at least means no need to open the engine up yet as I believe it had decent oil pressure and compression).

Talking myself out if this idea the more I think on it, since I'm aiming to use a lot of bits I already have (I've a couple of VE pumps, Garrett GT2052V vnt turbo, RHZ engine, choice between an ML5T 'box or a BE3 plus single mass flywheel from an XU10J4R which has worked well for me before on 1.9TD builds) and keep costs lower so if anyone can help with injector suggestions that'd be mightily appreciated.

Cheers, Dan
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Anyone on here have "M-HDi" experience?

Post by RichardW »

I imagine a DW engine with conventional direct injection will be a noisy, smokey, bag of spanners! What application are you putting it in?
Richard W
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Re: Anyone on here have "M-HDi" experience?

Post by ekjdm14 »

Indeed, the noisy part at least. Not too worried about refinement as it'll be put to use saving a partially stripped, tatty but purportedly solid 3 door white ZX we're due to collect at the weekend & it'll be another of my special "antidote to the D-auto Xantia" builds (similar to the TD swapped 306 XS or the mux'd 206 forced to swallow an XUD9TE with front mount IC, GTi180 flywheel & 'box). Only difference being I'll actually care more about the long-term future of this one as it's a ZX and therefore better ;)

I've heard a DW10TED4 running mechanical (Darren Lobb's triple-charged loony thing back before it's Deere days) and it certainly sounded a bit agricultural even then, can't imagine the 8V being any less clattery but the 16v worked pretty well for him & I'll be keeping the compression standard so less issues with smoke & idle so shouldn't need a blower... Then again, I wouldn't kick a supercharger out from under the bonnet if one happened to land there either.

I do have a wanted ad out for a 1.9TD engine/box as that's obviously what the car left the factory with but this is just kind of an idea to reuse some of the hoarder-compulsion stashed bits I've had laying around for years and see what I can make happen for minimal outlay. Whatever happens though, it'll be fun & guilt-free considering the thing already has no drivetrain or brakes etc. :)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k