Berlingo Multispace 1.6 HDI (9HL) injector woes

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PC2CV

Berlingo Multispace 1.6 HDI (9HL) injector woes

Post by PC2CV »

I have a 2011 Berlingo Multispace with the 1.6 8v DV6C 115 bhp engine.

On Saturday i went to the shop, got back in and turned it on and it threw up its EML and started misfiring. The fault code reader said "P0265 - Injector 2 Control. Short-Circuit Between Two Wires"

This morning it has done it again this time it was injector no4, P0271

"P0271 Permanent Fault - Injector 4 Control. Short-Circuit Between Two Wires" essentially the same fault injector 2 was doing, the loom is fine so its shorting in the injector.
ecu.jpg
I bought the berlingo at the start of the month from a mate, looking something reliable and versatile as ive had a multispace before and im doing work around the house and a workhorse is needed. It has not been reliable despite asking to give it back he wont take it so it seems i must face the music and fix it myself.
Rather than take the berlingo back he has provided two replacement injectors one on Saturday and one today which i suppose is as good as it gets when buying from mates.

Speaking to him though it was remapped, well over a year ago, i got the details of the remapper who is very surprised that it has done this. He mentions that remapping only extends the duration the injector is held open it does not change the voltage so should not cause it to fail electronically as it has. I messaged HDI tuning as they seem knowledgeable on this and thier advice would concur with the man who remapped it.

So I'm left wondering is the ECU faulty could it be spiking the injectors or something like that causing the solenoids to fail. When the berlingo was driving there between saturday and this morning it was fine. Im considering possibly the need to get another ECU and have it cloned and a standard map file put on it.

However i don't want to just stick another injector in it again, this i feel is time to look closely into why it failed.

Any advice of where to go, what to check, who to ask etc would be greatly appreciated.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Berlingo Multispace 1.6 HDI (9HL) injector woes

Post by RichardW »

Injector failure on the early 8V engines is common...
Richard W