"Word/Phrase of the Day"

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: "Word/Phrase of the Day"

Post by mickthemaverick »

Not heard that word for yonks!! :-D

Reference here
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Never encountered that before, only Scheherazade. Not quite as rustproof.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The Morris Motors factories did Bonderizing before painting the bodies, bodies were put on a spit like a pig then rotated as they were dipped in the zinc fluid.
Rootes Group cars were similarly treated but the were simply dipped without the spit so problems arose when the fluids were let to run too low and the roofs didn't get treated resulting in rust on the roofs like raindrops when they were a couple of years old.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Reminds me of another superbly named process for ferrous metal corrosion protection...

The Bower-Barff Process...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bower%E2% ... ff_process

Sounds like someone being sick all over the item to be treated :lol:

Much used back in time to protect iron water and gas main pipes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Engineering types may know already what these are, but I have elevated it Word/Phrase of the Day, because I didn't and was curious enough to look it up.

Sprang from here of course...the wonderful
Trivia Investigation Thread....
viewtopic.php?p=797402#p797402
Thomas Gunn Earth Augur Advert 1927
Thomas Gunn Earth Augur Advert 1927
Wiki tells you about them, not that good a working environment when used on the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge...
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I have vague recollections of that used for the Tyne Tunnel and various problems with it.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My recollection of Caissons is from D-Day.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Sobriquet

as used by our Citrojim here
viewtopic.php?t=68275&start=480#:~:text ... ot%20quite

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 12:35 Sobriquet

as used by our Citrojim here
viewtopic.php?t=68275&start=480#:~:text ... ot%20quite
The quote.
CitroJim wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 12:04 On that basis, maybe my sobriquet of 'Duracell Bunny' is not quite so complementary
Jim has used it on the most occasions, in connection with "diabox" aka "dogbox", and "The Northampton Lighthouse" (a Terry Wogan Original), and "Knitting Nana" of postbox topper fame.

Steve has used it once...pre-dating all of Jim's thus
myglaren wrote: 29 Jan 2012, 00:57 I think it is fairly universal Gregg. Gets a bit wearisome hearing them called stealers all the time but no more than any other over-used sobriquet. Hardly a reason for being banned anyway.
but the prize for first use on the forum goes back to 2004 and member UHN113X :-D

Commenting on what is an increasing phenomenon on the roads of the United Kingdom
uhn113x wrote: 21 Sep 2004, 12:39
Consideration and tolerance is a much better thing to have than a boyracermobile in such circumstances. 60 is a <b>limit</b>, not a mandatory speed to keep to. Before anyone throws one of Marty's spears at me here, I agree that it is dangerous to habitually do 40 in a 60 limit for <b>no reason</b>, but getting your knickers in a twist because someone is doing so is making the situation much more dangerous, and I would attach the sobriquet 'incompetent' to anyone who cannot keep their cool whilst propelling a ton of metal along the highway.
Wise words mate :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

When I first read 'sobriquet' I thought it might mean 'similar to a small brick' so I too investigated to discover it is a member of the 'French words we use in English' like 'faits accompli' or 'je ne se quoi' when we want to sound posh or more educated maybe :-D Amusingly when put into an online translator as English to be translated to French it comes out unchanged, however insert it as French to be translated to English it comes out 'nickname'. My case rests!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks to FCF member UHN113X and his contribution to word of the day 28th April 2024 being the first to use it back in 2004 on the FCF. Not active on here since July 2020 but a nice pic here from 2005 from his flickr photostream...next to the actual UHN113X

ImagePict0004 by uhn113x, on Flickr
Caption
I'm the one on the left! UHN is Joyce's - now with 41000 miles on clock. It has been to:
France,Luxembourg,Belgium, Germany,Switzerland,Italy,Scotland,Eire...So far......
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm happy to report Mike (uhn113x) is still very much with us and in good health, although not very active these days...

I don't believe he still has that particular car though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 05:30 I'm happy to report Mike (uhn113x) is still very much with us and in good health, although not very active these days...

I don't believe he still has that particular car though...
From his Flickr gallery I see he has some similar likes to yourself Jim...clocks radios that sort of thing. I have given his original post from 2004 a "like", and quoted it here too so if he does happen to pop in to the FCF for old times sake he will have a notification :-D

Of course I like the random links and I celebrate a bit of wordsmithing and the rich tapestry of language, and the out of the ordinary. So thanks to you Jim for your "sobriquet" and how it has brought to mind and current attention the contributions from members like Mike "UHN113X" over decades now which make the FCF what it is.
-----------------------------------------
Bang up to date now, here's a couple from Bobin's blog.
bobins wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 18:59
I replaced the 6 speakers in the car with some new Focal speakers which required a bit of fabricobbling to get them to fit -
First - locate the sensor plug using stereognosis
One of them currently appears in the establishment of English Dictionaries, the other may do in future should its use become commonplace, or may just remain as a sobriquet for an activity on the FCF. :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Valborgsmässoafton

They have some wonderful words.
NewcastleFalcon

In Lincolnshire, Walpurgis Night was observed in rural communities until the second half of the 20th century, with a tradition of hanging cowslips to ward off evil.

An excuse to post up my pic of cowslips from Monday...
DSC06595.JPG
temp2.jpg
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey