Citroen c2 deadlocked

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dava1

Citroen c2 deadlocked

Post by Dava1 »

For some strange reason my c2 lx has deadlocked it self I've got the key but the drivers door won't work or the central locking on the key fob won't work I've got the bonnet open I've tried disconnecting the battery and also managed to force open drivers door slightly to get a long stick to press the lock/unlock button on dash and the door handle inside still nothing the battery still has charge and key fob battery been replaced any help please
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: Citroen c2 deadlocked

Post by PaulC5 »

Can you get in the car through the other doors, if so have you tried to initialise the key fob following its battery replacement procedure (in the handbook) ? If you are able to get the fob working then use it to unlock the doors and you can also try with the passenger one open try to lock the doors with the fob - this should bounce the locks which might unlock the drivers door.
Dava1

Post by Dava1 »

I've got the key there's only 1 key lock and that's on the drivers door which that won't unlock
ozvtr

Post by ozvtr »

It's not uncommon for the drivers door lock to corrode and stop working.
It's also not uncommon for the unlock relay in the BSI to fail.
Does the car respond to the key fob? I.E. the indicators flash when you press a button on the fob?
On the surface I would say the unlock relay has gone. I have no idea how you might get into the car, an automotive locksmith might?
If anybody else owns a C2 or C3, make sure the drivers door key lock works! It is too late when the unlock relay fails! The biggest culprit seems to be areas where they salt the roads in winter. This corrodes the door lock barrel.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

You might be lucky and get the key working by spraying some penetrating oil into the keyhole and jiggling the key vigorously.
Dava1

Post by Dava1 »

I have the bonnet open with access to the fuse box
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Firstly if you can get a rod through to the lock button see if you can hook it onto the interior door handle & pull it, you dont actually know if its deadlocked unless you have tried to open it from the inside.

Secondly this my be blazingly obvious but in the last 6 months i have looked at remote not operating faults where the owner 'has fitted a new battery' to the remote & i have seen multiple of the following scenarios:
1) The battery has been fitted upside down. (one of these were fitted by Halfords)
2) The battery still had a plastic shrink wrap on it
3) (And by far the most common) The new battery has a small sticker (saying not to let children play with) stuck to the underside of the battery and the new battery has been fitted with this still stuck onto it. #-o

I suppose you really need to check if its sending out a signal, most garages should have at leas a very basic signal checker.

Thirdly Does the main 12v battery actually have power?

When you put the key in the door lock does it actually turn but not do anything? or does it not turn at all? if it doesn't turn at all yes its definitely worth soaking it in some kind of penetrating oil.
Dava1

Post by Dava1 »

I've tried replacing the key fob battery checked that's it's in right I've tried using a hook I can push the central locking button on the dash nothing happens also pulled on the door handle from inside still nothing the key will go into the drivers lock but won't turn I've tried spraying wd40 into lock Haswell someone commented on the previous post it could be central locking relay where would that be I've got bonnet open so I've got access to the fuse box
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

its internal to the BSI which is located inside the car behind the glovebox.
ozvtr

Post by ozvtr »

If you are getting "ABSOLUTLY NOTHING" then you have a power supply problem. Blown fuse, bad terminal connection, dead battery, etc.
However, an absolute loss of power is very, very rare. Even a 'flat' battery will supply some power.
In the very least, pushing the lock button on the dash should 'wake' the car up and the dash should light up.
If the car does something...anything, could you tell us what that is?
Dava1

Post by Dava1 »

I've tried using a long hook to open the inside handles by forcing door open slightly even managed to pressed the lock/unlock button the handles pulled out to where the door should open but door not opened the lock/unlock button on dash pressed nothing happens only the dash lit up to show the mileage I've charged the car battery and replaced the key fob battery all I'm thinking is if I smashed the drivers door window to get In would the deadlock system reset it self if I turned the ignition on to start it
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

If you switch the ignition on with a programmed key assuming there is not a fault with the system then yes this will turn the deadlocks off.

Another option to try which is awkward but possible is to attach the key onto a rod & try getting it into the ignition & switch it on. Caution required if the car has been left in gear.
Dava1

Post by Dava1 »

I've tried using a long hook to open the inside handles by forcing door open slightly even managed to pressed the lock/unlock button the handles pulled out to where the door should open but door not opened the lock/unlock button on dash pressed nothing happens only the dash lit up to show the mileage I've charged the car battery and replaced the key fob battery all I'm thinking is if I smashed the drivers door window to get In would the deadlock system reset it self if I turned the ignition on to start it
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

If you do try attaching the key to a rod, I would tie some string on the key in case it gets dropped and can then be pulled back out.
Before smashing a window, make sure you can get a replacement or even obtain one first. Keep using the wd40 in the meantime since eventually the lock might free up.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

PaulC5 wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 13:41Keep using the wd40 in the meantime since eventually the lock might free up.
I had a problem with the two key barrels in our Xsara years ago. Both were seized solid after years of disuse. But with continuous application of releasing fluid and insertion and removal of the key (to try to reactivate movement of the tumblers) I was eventually able to use the barrel in the driver's door. the passenger door remained stuck. Even taking the complete barrel out and leaving it soaking in a jar of light oil failed to effect a positive result.

So, keep trying. Moving the key in and out to try to shake the tumblers helps. As does some judicious 'jiggling' of the key in the lock. It may take a while though.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​