Trafic 2.0dci M9R 2007 no crank LHD

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenguy
(Donor 2021)

Trafic 2.0dci M9R 2007 no crank LHD

Post by citroenguy »

Hi
I hopefully there is someone savvy in here with these Renault/Opel/Vaux/nissan vans..

So it is a no crank no start, my friend was out in it yesterday and when he was heding home from the barn it was dead

LHD spec

Did some simple tests tonight

low beams and interior lights dim and relays click under the dash when the key goes in "start". Not a sound from the starter.

- No difference with start booster or another battery
- Fuse for starter OK
-Tried to find correct fuse diagram for engine bay fuse box, four availible on Autodata. None of them matched correctly =D> ..
3/4 had starter relays marked, but none seems correct. Would have liked to try "jumping" the relay and seeing if we got any life out of the starter, alas no..
-Tried earthing the engine block directly to battey negative post

Located the starter on the front of the engine, you can barley see it under the bonnet. Tried getting to the solenoid to manually engage it, but it´s too tight.
Needs dismantling the whole front end..

About here we decided it was too damn cold and windy outside and gave up.

The plan is to try and roll-start it and get it inside..

Is starter faults common?

Has anyone tried GM tech 2 on a Trafic? Vaux/Opel Vivaro is the same car.

Thanks in advance
I have various repair handbooks and wiring diagrams for C5 mk1, Xantia, XM, Berlingo and C3 mk1.
I have Lexia/Diagbox (Sweden) and Servicebox/sedre
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: Trafic 2.0dci M9R 2007 no crank LHD

Post by Paul-R »

I changed the starter motor on my daughter's 2008 2.0 CDti Vauxhall Vivaro a couple of years ago, so possibly.

Prior to that she'd had problems with the ignition switch which was full of muck causing intermittent starting problems. Wiggling the key in the lock could cause the problem and sometimes get over it. I was going to replace it after the weekend but I did a quick internal clean up of the switch which is still doing service.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
citroenguy
(Donor 2021)

Post by citroenguy »

Paul-R wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 20:27 I changed the starter motor on my daughter's 2008 2.0 CDti Vauxhall Vivaro a couple of years ago, so possibly.

Prior to that she'd had problems with the ignition switch which was full of muck causing intermittent starting problems. Wiggling the key in the lock could cause the problem and sometimes get over it. I was going to replace it after the weekend but I did a quick internal clean up of the switch which is still doing service.
Ok, thanks for the info
My friend has ordered a ingition switch, we´ll see if it helps.
Otherwise i will dig deeper and see if it has signal to the solenoid.
I have various repair handbooks and wiring diagrams for C5 mk1, Xantia, XM, Berlingo and C3 mk1.
I have Lexia/Diagbox (Sweden) and Servicebox/sedre
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Crank position sensor ok? the wife's 307 suffered an intermittent problem for a week or so were she would turn the key dash light up but no start, take key out try again and of it went it did this 3 times, then in the outside lane of a duel carriageway 70mph it died no power nothing just ignition lights.
AA came to it and flagged a crank position sensor failure but it then started, I didn't believe her it has just stopped as they usually limp, I came to her and I drove it back to my work place (VW dealership) dumped it in car park and ordered part, got in it to fit part on the ramp and you know what it started ok, started to drive out of car park and dead..... no power, just ignition lights and no start, took the key out, left it a second or two and restarted it drove fine..
After new sensor fitted never did it again. Everything worked on it apart from no starter, that was the weird thing, it did not crank at all, dash lit up fine, relays clicked, wipers worked, key to start pos, nothing, then all ok, really odd.
Thought I would share that with you.
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !