Xantia ACTIVA 2ltr (TaffyTiva)....the resurrection begins !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Xantia ACTIVA 2ltr (TaffyTiva)....the resurrection begins !

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hi Chaps, I am very slowly working on a V6 brake upgrade on the TaffyTiva 2ltr.............the original brakes were buggered and the flexi's splitting and I had a set of V6 calipers, so why not :)

Has any one got any photos of the fitting where the flexi-hose attach to the hard lines on the inner wing ?

Do they screw into a fitting (on the inner wing clip) or are they like "normal" cars, held in by a star fitting/clip with the hard line going directly into the ferrule on the end of the rubber flexi-hose.

Just to double check........assuming "normal"---- I undo the hard line behind it first then remove the clip from behind the mounting bracket and then pull out the ferrule .......I cannot just grip the old hose and spin it off ...correct ?
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 26 Apr 2024, 06:07, edited 2 times in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: Xantia Front Brakes flexi-hose

Post by PaulC5 »

I would make sure the area/diameter of the pistons on the replacement calipers are the same as the old ones. If not the master cylinder will need changing or the pedal travel will be different. I found this years ago when I put Allegro calipers on a Maxi and the pedal had to go a long way down until I then put on the Allegro master cylinder. The Allegro pistons and master cylinder were larger diameter than the Maxi ones.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Not an issue on a Xantia with power brakes, Paul!
Richard W
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

What a Ball-tugger !....as always access on an ACTIVA is a ****er. I am doing this job as I am upgrading/replacing the brakes on this Activa (283mm) with a set of V.6 brakes I have kept from the old "Green Goblin" v.6 I scrapped years ago. One twist in the tale was that this car has had incorrect Hubs fitted at some time and the v.6 Bendix brakes did not fit....so I had to change these as well only to discover later that I needed to swap to longer flexi-pipes for the new calipers.
20240414_075544.jpg
20240414_075609.jpg
I have had to remove the SC-CAR ram and disconnect the pipes to that just to be able to get my hand in.....about 5 days soaking with plus gas. ....and only 1/16th of a turn each time with the spanner to remove the fitting :(

As I have been told before....ALWAYS start on the hardest side first, if all goes to plan then the other side will be a joy..........that remains to be seen :)

What is a very pleasant surprise is the fact that ONLY fittings inside the wheel arches have suffered during this cars 14 odd years of being parked up, even the rear hard line-2-flexi pipe is in very good shape.......yes there is some surface rust about but nothing I have seen is pitted, flaky or delaminating.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Re: Xantia ACTIVA 2ltr (TaffyTiva)....the reserection begins !

Post by Stickyfinger »

What needs doing

Bodywork:Shell:
Fully inspected the shell, NO rust ....in fact quite amazing really. Sills, door 1/4's etc all in great condition. No problems on the rear wings or sill "ends". Small "ding" on the rear RH wheel arch lip. Front wings all fine.

Doors:
No rust problems with doors, hinges are good. Small ding in rear RH door. Frond doors fine, locks all work on the key. (need a battery to test central locking from the key) Power mirrors all work. Windows (front) are not working (fuse/wire into door ?) but rears do.

Bonnet,
This is slightly tweaked at the corners, it has been over in the wind I would think. It still fits etc but should be replaced. I will do so if I can find a blue one.

Roof,
All good except for the clear coat (surprise surprise !) delaminating.

Tailgate:
Paint is typically poor, lock works fine. Opens & holds on the rams. "Sun Shade" boot cover present. Windscreen has a crack in it, this will need to be replaced (quoted £265 for a tinted one).

Under-Body:
All good really, some surface rust at the rear on the sub-frame extensions but all very solid to the pointed hammer. All pipes present, no leaks seen, all pipe covers intact and present with OEM fasteners. Sill end plugs missing (rubber grommets, rotted with time) but dry/no mud inside the sill so rotted whilst it stood.

Frontal area:
Paint needed on nose cone. Lights (both) need replacing, water in one sidelight.

Bumpers :
Rear good, front good, paint defects on front corners but not into the plastic, aliment good front & rear (no hits).

Engine bay :
Remarkable condition !....most of the zinc coating on screws bolts intact. All OEM pipe clips present, rubbers and hoses all amazingly intact and I could not see any that were looking old/split. Battery tray needs cleaning/repainting. Strut tops in the engine bay are good. Inside ECU box, dry, air filter clean inside, LHM tank solid, no leaks, does not look warped. Needs a "top" on the dipstick.

Interior :
All present, Cloth interior, manual "pump up stick works", no stains or rips in the seats, All plastic present. DRY, no water leaks or coolant smells. interior fan works, gauges work, radio works, all switches work. Heater controls good, Air-Con not working but after 17 years I would not think it would. Headlamps etc all work, flashers work, horn etc all good, buld out in the fog-lamps

Engine/Gearbox:
Starts on the button, zero codes on ELIT, sensors all work in range. Runs well but a little tappet noise, no smoke, over-runs or stumbles on idle.
Gearbox good (it seems) and clutch is perfect with good good bite point and soft release.
Leak (small hole) in center box on the exhaust.

Suspension:
No faults show on ELIT scan: IT RISES !!!!!
....it needed 4ltrs of LHM ! Zero leaks are seen anywhere on the car. Needed a replacement Accumulator sphere to get the regulator/pump to stop ticking. Rises and falls on the control leaver.
Electro-valves "CLICK" on/off on opening/closing the rear doors....however there seems to be a problem with one of the valves being slow so a "DIODE-Mod" is required...I will hard solder these new diodes into the ECU as the little black boxes are now no longer available.
Hard at the rear and the front (needs spheres). Strut tops are good, no delamination is evident on the under side rubber layers.
No creaking or knocks observed (yet), droplinks and lower all joints feel OK, lower control P-Bushes "look" OK but not done a test drive yet.

Leaks (quite large) are present on both front and back height corrector valves, some difficulty moving the correctors (soaked with Plus-Gas)

Roll-Control:
Front roll control horizontal "height" corrector is very stiff/stuck, the car keeps a lean to the left due to this, I need to investigate this, lubricate or drill out and replace the hinge rivet. I will wash it out and lubricate first. Control rods and blocks are good but the blocks look dry (they would be after 17 years of not being used..easy fix). Needs a SC-MAC sphere for sure.
Both ACTIVA-RAMS are good and dry with good ball joints and bushes. Ram gaiters are intact.

Brakes :
Hand brake works, but is stiff. Brakes work (once it had LHM in it :), brake lights good. No leaks onto the foot pedal/under the carpet. V.6 upgrade underway at present.

Steering
Power steering is fine, no "lumps" are felt, works with one finger as it should. Not "clunks" from ball joints.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Awwwww................RATS!.and it had some heat as well ! (Need to replace the disk guard which is totally shot)
The one on the ABS sensor will be fun then !
20240416_130511.jpg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Only one thing to do then.........
20240417_131344.jpg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

The TaffyTiva now has V6 (288mm) brakes.....both calipers on now...time to tighten everything up, insert pads and handbrake cables...them move onto the rears...
20240423_123855.jpg
20240423_123836.jpg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

NOW THEN! Of course, you know that you have spelt resurrection incorrectly? :wink:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Alasdair :D Looking forward to seeing the progress in the metal when I'm once again able to travel any distance.

Keep up the good work :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Rhothgar wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 22:02 NOW THEN! Of course, you know that you have spelt resurrection incorrectly? :wink:
No, I was referring to the (EP) by English alternative dance band Saint Etienne and French singer Étienne Daho

:)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

Stickyfinger wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 06:08
Rhothgar wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 22:02 NOW THEN! Of course, you know that you have spelt resurrection incorrectly? :wink:
No, I was referring to the (EP) by English alternative dance band Saint Etienne and French singer Étienne Daho

:)
Aaargh! You’ve changed the damned title. And there I was just thinking it was all the excitement of starting this project that had a particular effect on you.

Not sure I can get THAT excited about Citroens but, hey ho, each to their own.

I have a good read through when I get a moment. Just looked at pictures last night. Don’t forget PlusGas is your friend too. So maybe worth soaking things in advance and keep squirting them once a day. 😁

Unless of course you really do enjoy drilling and tapping?

POST EDIT: I see you already know who your friend is...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Re: Xantia ACTIVA 2ltr (TaffyTiva)....the resurrection begins !

Post by Stickyfinger »

Eeee lad, ofton forgut wrer to pet mie E's and Yous
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Brakes all done, both Frn't strut spheres are @ 40bar
20240428_144330.jpg
20240428_144349.jpg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Looking good Alasdair :D Great to see this car coming back to life!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...