Clio Mk3 Brake Bleed Help!

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

turbojoshua

Clio Mk3 Brake Bleed Help!

Post by turbojoshua »

Hi There,

Im looking for some advice, I have replaced the passenger front caliper on my girlfriends Clio Mk3 but cant seem to bleed it at all. I have tried bleeding the drivers side and it bleeds fine, I have tried the generic brake bleeding routine by someone pumping the pedal and cracking the nipple etc but all I can get from the passenger front is air and spits of fluid.

I did notice there is a "braking fault" on the dash but dont have the relevant diag tool to show the fault code and not sure if this is related. Im not used to working on Renaults so unsure if the DSC servo has disabled that side or if there is a block somewhere as it was working before. It only got a caliper as it was binding when replacing the discs & pads.

Im not sure if im missing something or if it needs pressure bled. Any help is greatly appreciated 🙏

Thanks
Josh
Attachments
Screenshot_20240407_214253_Gallery.jpg
ChrisRobin

Re: Clio Mk3 Brake Bleed Help!

Post by ChrisRobin »

Have you tired tube in a jar of fluid making sure it under the level of fluid.
Tube is a tight fit on nipple.
Helper starts to press pedal and you crack open nipple.
Helper slowly pushes pedal to floor in one movement, and Holds it there whilst you lock off nipple.
helper release pedal.
Process restarts over and over.
Make sure helper is not "bouncing pedal" and when at bottom of stroke hold it there until you are tight.

Is brake fluid feed flexi tight on the caliper?
Was it a new caliper or 2nd hand?
Twist in the flexi to that caliper?

I find the pneumatic brake bleeders pretty good myself, you can get them that you pump up the pressure yourself or the ones that connect to your tyre valve, I tend to use these as the wife is not much good at brake bleeding and these just push fluid.

I have only ever had a problem with a 307 front caliper were the bleeder wasn't giving a good pedal, so with the bleeder connected and pumping fluid into my jar and went around and pumped the brake pedal a few times and went back and shut off nipple, pedal was spot on.

If you are tight and no twist in the flexi I would start suspecting the caliper, how did you seal off that caliper, mole grips by any chance? if so you may have crushed the flexi, worth a look to see if anything is obvious, if you suspect it you could clamp it again, disconnect from caliper and drop that end into your jar of fluid making sure it is below the fluid line and get your helper to slowly push down on the pedal whilst you release the clamp and watch the end of the flexi to see if it expels fluid if it does clamp off again and release pedal.
You now know know you are good up to the caliper.

Inspect hole where flexi fits make sure there are no bits of rust/dirt in there blocking off the hole, if it is clear you can only be looking at the caliper I would of thought as long as your master cylinder is always topped up I can see it being a problem.

Friend of mine with a Scenic ended up starting it up to bleed his rear caliper and said it worked a treat, personally I can't really see how it would be different apart from you have now got the servo working with you, but you are still just pumping fluid.

Hope something works for you.
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Except for on hydraulic Citroens I have used one of these since about 1980.
Cheap and effective.
No need for an assistant.
s-l960.jpg
Attach the open end to the bleed nipple and open it, drop the 'closed' end into a bottle.
Pump the pedal in the usual fashion, three pumps is usually sufficient.
Close the bleed nipple, remove the tube and onto the next wheel.
There is a one way valve in the 'closed' end that lets fluid and air out but not back in again.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Be aware the system has to be bled in the correct order and also requires a diagnostic tool for bleeding the ABS / ESP - in other words there are 2 circuits and each must be bled, or you'll never get it right. I don't have the specific procedure for Renault, but is likely to be the same as most modern vehicles.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

If you clamp off you can change individual calipers, we do it all the time, you problems start if the system drains, calipers and flexi's don't actually hold that much fluid in general, and in theory wont go anywhere until that nipple is opened by which time you preferred bleeding method would/should be in place.
Biggest issues with the weekend mechanic we find, is they either fit the hose to the caliper after it is on the car and twist it which can crimp it, if you are tightening away and not realise, the y some time fit the hose then the caliper but at some stage turn the caliper which again gives the hose a twist and quick tighten on the hose tightens the twist, or over clamp it and crush it.
ABS units, vile things to bleed even with a diag machine. avoided at all costs if possible.
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !