Peugeot Boxer 2018 (250) - 2.0 BlueHDi Euro 6 - P1496 & P2563 Turbo - Nightmare - Any Ideas??

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chadscorp7

Peugeot Boxer 2018 (250) - 2.0 BlueHDi Euro 6 - P1496 & P2563 Turbo - Nightmare - Any Ideas??

Post by chadscorp7 »

Hello, I am having a nightmare with my Boxer 3 Euro 6 2.0 BlueHDi Van and wonder if anyone here can help, please?

I’m new to the forums as a user but have been browsing for a while for advice, and I would like to thank you for all the information that has helped so far. I would be grateful if anyone could help with my issue below, as the garages I have taken the van to don’t seem to have a clue.

Background of the van…
2018 (67) Plate
37,000 Miles
Serviced every 12 months (6 services to date)
2.0l Blue HDi Engine Euro 6 (DW10FUD)
Driven mainly on motorways to and from job locations.

Fault Conditions….
The fault first occurred 6 months ago.

While driving up an incline with the throttle at 100% for about 30 seconds, the vehicle goes into limp mode with no boost.

Turning the vehicle off and on solves the problem whilst the MIL stays on. The MIL can be cleared with a fault code clear.

Displays fault Codes….
P1496 - Turbocharger - Actuator closing too big compared with reference value
P2563 - Turbocharger - Actuator closing too big compared with reference value

The vehicle can be driven for hundreds of miles without the fault re-occurring if the throttle is not 100% for more than 30 seconds.

Looking at the Live Data of the air intake system, whilst this fault occurs, the Turbo OCR (Open Cycle Ratio) gradually drops to 0%, and the Turbo Position Reference Value slowly decreases to 0% whilst the Actual Turbo Position only drops to 30%.

Under every other driving style/condition, the values match (actual / reference turbo position) and never drops below 40%.

Airflow and Turbo Pressure values match the reference values all the time.
Airflow at idle shows roughly 2 x reference value sometimes but not always; tapping the throttle slightly when this happens makes values match. This happened with the original MAF sensor and the new MAF Sensor fitted.
The actual EGR Position value is always about 10 to 15% lower than the reference value.

If 100% throttle is applied going on a decline, nothing happens.
Also, letting the throttle off slightly when OCR starts to drop stops the fault from occurring.

Actions that have been taken so far.….
The intake system was cleaned several times.
Turbo cleaner was added to the fuel tank for the last 1500 miles.
Turbo Actuator replaced and confirmed working holding vacuum and moving.
Wastegate valve checked while actuator removed, this moves freely.
MAP sensor replaced.
MAF sensor replaced.
Vacuum Solenoid / Actuator replaced.
Vacuum pipe from solenoid to turbo actuator tested and holds vacuum.

I’m at a loss as to what I can check next or what else to look for. As you can imagine, this is a very annoying fault whilst on the motorway, and the van suddenly loses power going up a hill.

If anyone would be so kind as to offer any suggestions as to what they might think the fault could be caused, I would be most grateful.

If I have missed any information here, please let me know, and I will try and provide it.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks, Karl
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Peugeot Boxer 2018 (250) - 2.0 BlueHDi Euro 6 - P1496 & P2563 Turbo - Nightmare - Any Ideas??

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A little more detail on those faults:
Fault Code: P1496 21
Description of Fault: Position of the turbocharger: Value lower than setting. The turbocharger actuator position repeat is lower than the reference value.
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • After switching the ignition off and then back on
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Deactivation of the cylinder balancing system
  • Engine diagnosis warning lamp
Symptoms:
  • Lack of power
Suspect Areas:
  • Turbocharger
  • Vacuum circuit
  • Turbocharger variable geometry position repeat sensor
  • Turbocharger fixed geometry control electrovalve
  • Camshafts
  • Electrical harness
  • Connectors

Fault Code: P2563 21
Description of Fault: Position of the turbocharger: Value lower than setting. Drift of the turbocharger position repeat below a minimum threshold.
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • After switching the ignition off and then back on
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Deactivation of the turbocharger valve programming cycle
  • Deactivation/cut-off of the cruise control or speed limiter
  • Limitation of performance
  • Inhibiting of the turbocharger valve cleaning strategy
  • Request for closing of the EGR valve
  • Sport mode selection fault
  • Deactivation of the air mixer unit anti-sticking strategy
  • Request for maximum opening of the impeller
  • Invalid engine torque information for the electric handbrake function
  • Deactivation of the cylinder balancing system
Symptoms:
  • Lack of power
  • Deactivation/cut-off of the cruise control or speed limiter
  • Engine hesitating, cutting out
  • Banging/knocking/creaking
Suspect Areas:
  • Turbocharger
  • Turbocharger pressure regulation pneumatic control
  • Turbocharger control solenoid valve
  • Electrical harness
  • Vacuum circuit
  • Turbocharger position copy sensor
  • Inlet camshaft
  • Inlet camshaft position sensor target
  • Exhaust camshaft
  • Exhaust camshaft position sensor target
  • Turbocharger electric control
  • Connectors
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
chadscorp7

Re: Peugeot Boxer 2018 (250) - 2.0 BlueHDi Euro 6 - P1496 & P2563 Turbo - Nightmare - Any Ideas??

Post by chadscorp7 »

Thanks, GiveMeABreak; I'm going to check the other Vacuum lines and also replace the N75 solenoid before having the Turbo replaced. It would make more sense if the fault happened more often, but as it only happens when under load, in high gear at speed for a while, I'm guessing the ECU and electrics are working ok. I'll update when I have done some more tests/sensor replacements but if anyone has any extra ideas before I spend a couple of grand on a turbo that would be much appreciated.
Jmccann1982
New User

Post by Jmccann1982 »

Hi,

Did you get this sorted?

I'm having similar issues with Citroen Relay

Thanks
chadscorp7

Post by chadscorp7 »

New Turbo sorted the problem in the end. Tried everything else inc new ECU, but it was damaged veins in the turbo in the end. Hope that helps. Sorry it’s the expensive fix.
Mamanicutz

Post by Mamanicutz »

Hi guys, I’m having the same problem with a 2019 Peugeot Boxer,
Had the turbocharger and actuator replaced 1 month ago and the van still has the same problems .
The garage that have replaced the turbo and actuator doesn’t know what else they can do. They’ve contacted Peugeot dealer and they suggested a software upgrade which was performed on the van, the issue is still there. Don’t know what else to do.
If anyone has any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank you