Wheel Nuts!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peugeot508gt

Wheel Nuts!

Post by Peugeot508gt »

Hi guys,

Unfortunately one of my locking wheel nuts snapped a year ago so i got a new set from Peugeot last year. Annoyingly, possibly the second time i used the key on one of the wheels, another locking nut broke on me. Does anyone recommend a good set to buy that will fit my Peugeot 508 19" wheel please? maybe tempted to buy just 4 normal bolts to fair to avoid the situation again but i don't know the size i need if anyone does at all?

many thanks
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: Wheel Nuts!

Post by Paul-R »

I would say ditch all the locking wheel bolts and just fit ordinary ones. Be aware that there are two types which need different size wheel spanners (17mm is one of the sizes) so try for the same size as you already have. It's not the end of the world if you get a different size bolt, just an annoyance to have to carry two different wheel spanners.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Peugeot508gt wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 19:18 Does anyone recommend a good set to buy that will fit my Peugeot 508 19" wheel please? maybe tempted to buy just 4 normal bolts to fair to avoid the situation again but i don't know the size i need if anyone does at all?

many thanks
See my post here- I used these limpet type that won't break off. Never had another issue and the quality was superb:

viewtopic.php?p=659965&hilit=limpet#p659965
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Paul-R wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 20:15 I would say ditch all the locking wheel bolts and just fit ordinary ones. Be aware that there are two types which need different size wheel spanners (17mm is one of the sizes) so try for the same size as you already have. It's not the end of the world if you get a different size bolt, just an annoyance to have to carry two different wheel spanners.
This for me is the best advice.
One of the first things i do as soon as i get a new car is to remove the locking wheel bolts/nuts & replace them with standard ones. Not worth the grief they can cause, Especially if someone else is involved in removing & refitting your wheels. Even though i'm the only one who is ever likely to be removing & refitting wheels on my vehicles they still get thrown in the bin.
Dont think i've heard of anyone getting wheels stolen since the early 2000's.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I was going to dump my locking wheel nuts. A puncture put some urgency into it as I couldn't find the key (new car at Christmas).
Turned out I had been beaten to it and they were normal-ish nuts but different to the other four on each wheel. Broke a socket trying to remove them.
These are the first 21mm nuts I have had on wheels. Tyre fitter got them off and loosened/re-torqued them all :)
DSCN0160.JPG
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

My daughter's Hyundai i30 has proper studs and 21mm nuts. Must be an oriental thing, even though it was made in Czechia.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Civic had similar looking nuts but not 21 mm. 19 I think.
I never got round to swapping them. Found a huge pile at the tyre fitters but out of several hundred only two fit, the rest were all slightly different threads.
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

All Nissan's have 21mm nuts, I think Toyota are the same so yeah your probably right on Asian yolks. I get rid of lock nuts straight away as well, had a SAAB 95 vector a few years back lovely wheels went to pull the drivers wheel off and ended having to get it drilled out destroyed the wheel I was disgusted had to buy a new wheel which took a while they were bloody rare.
Darren