Steering Column replacement on Mk2 Megane

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Graham996

Steering Column replacement on Mk2 Megane

Post by Graham996 »

Hi All
My beloved and believe it or not extremely reliable 2009 Megane mk2 hatchback with 130k miles on it has decided the power steering should no longer work. There were no signs of imminent failure it just stopped working and required some strength to get it home whereupon I discovered that it was an electrical system, and failure of the unit is not uncommon and the only solution is replacement of the whole column. I have now removed it which was fairly easy (one of the nuts holding the column to the chassis is a bit tricky) and made sure the steering lock was off before disconnecting the battery as it is a world of pain to remove the lock mechanism if it is locked as it has to be moved to the replacement column as it is coded to the ECU. The problem I didn't anticipate however is that the part code on my cars steering column is 8200 795 907 A and I am struggling to find one with the same code. I have been offered a couple of units from breakers which start with 8200 but the next digits are different for example 8200 246 633. Can they be used?

Hope you can help

Graham
Last edited by Graham996 on 19 Nov 2022, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Ross_K

Re: Steering Column replacement on Mk2 Megane

Post by Ross_K »

Anything that needs coding is going to be a pain unless (or even if...) you have a Renault clip. If you're going down the scrapyard route, I'd say find a replacement with the same part number.

Or you could get a remanufactured replacement? These guys claim their units don't need coding "as they are set to self-calibrate when fitted to the vehicle and come with a Lifetime warranty.":
https://www.power-steering.co.uk/renaul ... s-repairs/
ImageImage
Graham996

Post by Graham996 »

Thanks Ross K this was very helpful. I will give the power steering company a call to see how much it costs to exchange mine or repair mine.
Ross_K

Post by Ross_K »

Cool, let us know how it goes!
ImageImage
Mssamira
New User

Post by Mssamira »

Hi any update on this mine has developed the same fault and I'm desperately trying to find a steering motor that can fit.