Garage Rates....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo
(Donor 2022)

Garage Rates....

Post by Doo »

A friend of mine's GF works at an airport. A colleague managed to persuade her he's a top mechanic and when she needed her BMW Mini R56 brakes done with urgency, that he was the man for the job...

He tried to do it outside her flat in the rain with his tool kit from Wish :roll: My mate was asked if he could loan the moron a hammer & an impact driver. Suffice to say, said moron hadn't a clue what he was doing and managed to damage the T50 disc retaining bolt. So up to his driveway and this is when the poo hit the massive fan :-({|=

Instead of using trolley jacks and axle stands, moron used the Mini's own emergency jack and some decrepit scissor on the other side. Both front wheels off.... Can you see where this is going? #-o

Tried, failed, to drill the T50 and 3 bits in, couldn't drill the heads off. So having hammered (yes, "hammered") the pads in (because clown shoes didn't have the wit, or the tools, to clean the pad carriers) he proceeded to re mount the drivers side wheel. So, because they are aftermarket, they have spacers, which make them tricky to mount. So clown shoes pushes against the hub and.....Mini falls off jacks ](*,)

It fell hard onto the passenger side disc (which still fortunately had it's T50 intact), while the driver side wheel disappeared up inside the arch, damaging the wing, under arch lining, headlamp retaining bracket, etc.

So a week later, I get the call. "Can you fix the brakes?"

Then another call explaining all of the above, with mate saying this was news to him! She was both angry and embarrassed.

Car duly arrives and I inspect the damage, all of which I can fix, alongside the brakes. It took 4hrs to right the wrongs of the bent parts and a further several hours to fix everything specified.

The discs were removed with a grinder, such was the damage to the T50. The carriers were cleaned using the wire brush in the other grinder. The pads were degreased using a litre of brake clean (he had smothered the backs of the pads with so much grease, it was migrating to the discs). Then everything was set up for the reinstallation. But 1st I had to change the drivers side wheel bearing. Very easy on the Mini. 4 bolts, undo CV shaft nut and Bob's your uncle.... Except, he wasn't! The CV shaft was welded in with rust & eventually required a sledge hammer to persuade it to move :cry:

Cue new CV end. Wrong one! 3 days later, another wrong one arrived!! So go elsewhere & they order correct one, "It'll be here Friday at 2pm!" OK.

Turns out they placed the order, but warehouse forgot to add it to the basket.... Finally Tuesday, it arrives & is 100% correct :cud:

All fitted & I'm happy. Quick test run, I discover 5ft, that moron clown shoes had got the wrong pads.... It was the rear pads, which were also sticking :roll: :roll: So I buy rear pads & go through the same thorough de rusting & cleaning on the carriers. Discs aren't great, but I cleaned them & they'll last another service.

So finally get to take the car on an extended test run and before even turning a wheel, I see the radiator dripping :bigcry:

Turns out the clatter had also damaged the radiator. The aluminium crimp had become slightly dislodged, but was holding enough. However, since the car had sat for best part of 2 weeks, I imagine part of the seal on the plastic end had been open to air and likely shrunk. So when I fire her up, the pressure build up forced it out and away she went.

New radiator next day and we're all good... I'll get that flamin test drive yet #-o

So off I went and hear a bearing on the left side. Quite bad, so take it to mates GF & let her hear it. We come back to mine, all the while it's getting louder!?! Wheel bearings normally last ages before gradually getting worse! So I jack it up & wife arrives so chat going on and the GF mentions something I hadn't bee aware of in so many words. It had fallen very hard on the left disc, but at an angle, as if someone had thrown it sideways.... So I am wheel off, rotating the shaft, feeling the diff end and I don't like what I feel & mention it. However, many chats later, I am persuaded it's just the wheel bearing, but my inner voice is telling me otherwise. But save money & time, do the wheel hub bearing.

So we close the car up to go have tea & I run her home in my car "the ever reliable Berlingo" :luv: However, now the bleedin door window wouldn't go up!!!!! I'll do it later.

If anyone ever has a BMW Mini with a sticky window, remove some door plastics, the big speaker and other plastics, get access to the front of the window mech and use an artist paint brush to dab some silicone grease on the lower runners and a long lever on the bottom of the glass and a finger on the button to encourage it to move past the sticky spot and get it up an inch or two. At the other end, there is a rubber inspection cap to allow you to grease the rear section of the lower runners, do that too. But put enough on so it will carry it up the track. The window s now working beautifully :geek:

New bearing later and Job done. FINALLY, get to test drive it and...... STILL bearing whine :hb: :drink:

So now it's gearbox off as I spotted a misting & a weep of oil at the left diff shaft output. My best guess is the clatter and the severe left landing allowed some movement in the rubber bushes of the wishbone, forcing the shaft inwards against the bearings.

The BMW Mini has tapered rollers, so I can only imagine the cage on the rollers gat damaged and the weeks worth of driving before it came to me has caused much movement, hence the worsening noise & weeping of oil. The gearbox itself appears fine. Nice smooth changes, no noises of ay kind. So I'm hoping this is an end to it.

That brake job should have cost £160 tops. But the parts list alone is 4 x that. The labour is a LOT less than a garage, but my time is way past the norm due to stupidity and rust. I have the tools to deal with all the eventualities, but it needn't have come to this.

And all because she wanted to save a few quid on garage Rates :erm:
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Garage Rates....

Post by myglaren »

:( :( :(

I hope the bodger is going to reimburse for the damage he has done.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

2 lessons here:

Don't get a BMW and don't let any mates 'mates' anywhere near your vehicles. Sounds like a nightmare.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

Never volunteer :-D Saves an awful lot of hassle :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh :o That's left me speechless...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 17:58 Gosh :o That's left me speechless...
Sorry Jim, in the words of Victor Meldrew: "I simply don't believe it" :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Given the trail of destruction left behind him, I'm going to take guess, moron from the airport....

...baggage handler? :-D

I can't work out why these folks with such little ability manage to convince themselves to jump into a job like that. Equally I can't work out why you'd wind it up on the cheap nasty emergency jack(s) and say to yourself "now that's secured time to crack on" must have been so wobbly throughout! So perhaps I have just underestimated their incompetence!
moizeau
Donor 2024

Post by moizeau »

Beggars belief. Even if I'm using a trolley jack I always throw the wheel under the sill as a safeguard, and that's for a 5 min job/nose.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Doo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Doo »

myglaren wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 14:46 :( :( :(

I hope the bodger is going to reimburse for the damage he has done.
It would appear not. This disgusting POS is a security guard at Inverness Airport. His name sounds similar to Dill Bavidson and he is a complete (no missing parts) tool.

I am disgusted that not only would this DISGUSTING rat blame my mates GF for apparently jacking the car up with the emergency jack, but then go spread lies about her :hb:

I am NOT one to suggest women are less able than men, but by her own admission, she didn't even know she "had" a jack, let alone how to use it! :evil: The lies get my male mammary gland!!!

But it then proceeded to tell those who would listen that "SHE" did this herself!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyway, I am disgusted that anyone would be so low. As per my way of doing things, I have kept her up to date of my findings with photo's & video's. I cannot STAND people being treated like this, so I am more than happy to show my progress. Perhaps mechanics should carry personal video camera's, much like the cops. That way, the s cum could be all but wiped out :evil:

I am almost done with this wee car and am happy to report, she now has an honest mechanic.

I wish our trade was better looked upon. But with FILTH like Dill Bavidson, we're all at risk of being shat upon :lazer:
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 18:04
CitroJim wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 17:58 Gosh :o That's left me speechless...
Sorry Jim, in the words of Victor Meldrew: "I simply don't believe it" :-D
It does happen occasionally ;) :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...