C5 v6 and Xantia VSX owner trying to introduce himself (again)

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

octinum

C5 v6 and Xantia VSX owner trying to introduce himself (again)

Post by octinum »

Hi All,

I tried to introduce myself when I registered with the forum, but something went wrong, I don't know. Until now, I enjoyed the technical discussions even though I didn't have any serious problems -I'm a car enthusiast, as I'll describe in a bit. :)

Hailing from Turkey, I'm an engineer by trade, and a car enthusiast. I worked as an R&D Engineer in a bus/coach building company before, where I designed electrical systems for buses, and worked on a couple full electric buses.

We have 3 cars in our household. My daily driver is a 1997 Phase 1 Xantia 2.0i VSX auto. The other car is an Alfa Romeo 156 Mk1.5 Selespeed. And my better half normally drives a 2005 Mk1 Phase 2 C5 3.0 v6 BVA, in Exclusive guise. In fact, the C5 is the reason I bought the Xantia later.

As an engineer with an interest in cars, I think the world has gone the wrong way. But the makers need to sell to the greater public to stay alive. So less engineering, more public appeal. Duh.
Ross_K

Re: C5 v6 and Xantia VSX owner trying to introduce himself (again)

Post by Ross_K »

Hi and welcome, fellow Alfa owner! 8-)
ImageImage
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Hi and welcome to the FCF
As a car enthusiast you will find plenty of interesting topics under discussion. In the Off Topic Chat Lounge, OTCL, there are many things to educate, inspire and amuse you as well as all the techy stuff around the forum. Have a browse from the board index above and join in whatever you fancy! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
octinum

Post by octinum »

mickthemaverick wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 05:08 Hi and welcome to the FCF
As a car enthusiast you will find plenty of interesting topics under discussion. In the Off Topic Chat Lounge, OTCL, there are many things to educate, inspire and amuse you as well as all the techy stuff around the forum. Have a browse from the board index above and join in whatever you fancy! :-D
Thank you for the warm welcome! I did absorb a lot already, and now I'm hoping to give some back. :) I think the "do it yourself" parts will make me feel at home here. Of course buying a new car, then replacing every 5 years is easy, and not a necessarily bad thing. But the joy of repairing, renewing those leather seats is far more satisfying for some of us. I think I belong to those.

Oh, let me share my leather restoration project today. Plenty of photos, though I'll have to type the process itself. :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

octinum wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 21:45 Hi All,

I tried to introduce myself when I registered with the forum, but something went wrong, I don't know.
Hi, nothing went wrong, it's just that initial posts from new members have to be approved before they are available on the public forum. This requires the intervention of a Moderator or Admin to approve posts and is part of our anti-spam measures. How quickly this happens, depends on where you are in the world (time differences) and when one of the staff members is available to approve it.

You typed your post a second time, whilst the original was still in the approval queue, so we have deleted the duplicate post now that your original post has been approved.

I hope that explains the reason for the delay.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
octinum

Post by octinum »

Ross_K wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 22:37 Hi and welcome, fellow Alfa owner! 8-)
Thank you! I somehow find it natural for an Alfa owner to get a Citroen. :D Hydro-Cits, at least.

Alfa was a passion thing for me, my 156 is a rare spec for Turkey. I intend to keep it for my daughter, 6 years old now. She'll have the keys after she proves she's worthy (i.e. she won't kill anybody, including herself driving the 156 :D ).

There are a number of reasons I ended up with these cars but the most important one is, I prefer cars to "my specs". To me, most mainstream models are a compromise. The Passat, very popular in Turkey, is a great car. The problem is, it does everything well, but it's not there in any disciplines I'm looking at.

So I wanted "A 156, year 2003 (Mk1.5 for Turkey), Selespeed, Rosso Alfa (130B/B) color, tan interior, Sportwagon for the looks". For that car, I didn't need much of practicality, nor that "oh, was that a pothole? Now I know why those other cars dropped to a crawling speed [takes a sip from his coffee]" attitude. I wanted to tell if it's heads or tails just by driving over a coin on the road. So came 156 (though couldn't find a SW).

Then I needed something else when my daughter was born. Specs were: Safety (passive and active), comfort, practicality, especially for long roads I do with my family. No need for sporty pretensions. A Mk1 Phase 2 C5 with H3+ suspension was the perfect fit.

A couple years later, my wife had to move to a different city for work. I needed a car that would transport me 300km away every Friday and back on Sunday, regardless of weather and road conditions, through mountain passes on heavy snow, pothole-ridden backroads, preferably at constant speed, for a year. Even the auto-headlights are not necessary. Xantia with H2 suspension was the answer. I liked the car so much that it's my 4th year with the car.

So far, I'm happy with my decisions. Though the Alfa and Xantia need some repairs to put them on the road.
Last edited by octinum on 29 Sep 2022, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
octinum

Post by octinum »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 09:40 Hi, nothing went wrong, it's just that initial posts from new members have to be approved before they are available on the public forum. This requires the intervention of a Moderator or Admin to approve posts and is part of our anti-spam measures. How quickly this happens, depends on where you are in the world (time differences) and when one of the staff members is available to approve it.

You typed your post a second time, whilst the original was still in the approval queue, so we have deleted the duplicate post now that your original post has been approved.

I hope that explains the reason for the delay.
Thank you! I was referring to the time I first registered in FCF, a long time ago. It was most likely something wrong on my side anyway. :)

For this time, I wish I took a screenshot to help, as IIRC, the forum response to my first submit was something like "this forum/section does not exist". So I went back, copied the text, and submitted again. Not sure if it's the default behavior or a random glitch in the Matrix. :) I just assumed that I hit some timeout while I prepped my post.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That was because a moderator deleted one of the duplicate posts after one of the original posts was approved. As each post would of created a new Topic, one of the topics got deleted, which is why it was no longer there. I can't say which one, but that's the reason.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Hi and welcome. I can thoroughly recommend the Off Topic Lounge. You won't be interested in everything there but it's a nice diversion from "normal" car related themes.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to some of your car posts.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
octinum

Post by octinum »

Paul-R wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 12:44 Hi and welcome. I can thoroughly recommend the Off Topic Lounge. You won't be interested in everything there but it's a nice diversion from "normal" car related themes.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to some of your car posts.
Thanks for the welcome and the tips! And here you are, sir/lady/what you'd prefer: :)
viewtopic.php?&t=72502