2015 308 puretech 130bhp oil consumption help

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gazdw85
Locked user account

2015 308 puretech 130bhp oil consumption help

Post by Gazdw85 »

Hi i hope someone can help please. I have had the car nearly 3 years love it. 2015 plate with 45,000 on clock. Drives great went in for service at peugeot in March. Since then its drank oil. 1 litre per 1000 miles. 5000 miles on 5 litres later. I have been back to them, and they are unsure of the issue, theres no signs of oil leaks and no smoke. They did the JZR update in march when in more minor service and i had never had any issues or had to ever put oil in before this. The extended warranty ran out in April. I need advice please
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 2015 308 puretech 130bhp oil consumption help

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This is a bit controversial as Peugeot have said 0.6 of a litre per 1000 miles was acceptable, others I have heard saying 1Lt per 1000 - but on the older 2015 engines there were some issues apparently and some have had the engine parts or the entire engine replaced under warranty due to excess oil consumption.

I'd agree that is excessive and the oil has to be gong somewhere if not leaking and not being burnt off...

Make absolutely sure there are no leaks and that you are using the correct recommended oil - but you aren't alone with this issue.

Have a read of this thread for some more info

https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/h ... ch.340040/
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gazdw85
Locked user account

Post by Gazdw85 »

Cheers for the reply, I have read though that before and it sounds very similar to mine. There are defo no leaks. It is back with them next Wednesday, im adamant until they had it it had never drank any oil between services that was in anyway excessive to the point I would have to top up. Thanks for your reply appreciate it
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Do you have your VIN so I can see exactly which variant you have. Some of these later ones are 3 cylinder and some earlier ones 4 cylinder and I know there are additional issues relating to the timing belt (belt in oil system). The initial timing belt service (depending on which engine you have) may have a shorter life for the initial change (circa 60k) where the belts are checked and replaced. Later engines had issues where the belt shavings came off and blocked the oil filter, leading to engine overheating and oil pressure warnings. In severe cases the engine was toast and had to be replaced. So essential that the correct oil is used.

I'll know a bit more once I have your VIN.

Marc
Gazdw85
Locked user account

Post by Gazdw85 »

Yeh course its VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. I appreciate all the help thankyou
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok... you have the EB2DTS - these are 3 Cylinder engines and these early models suffered with failing timing belts as I mentioned earlier.

The recommended timing belt service is ridiculously high for this engine at 112k miles given the problems - and on some PSA vehicles where these are fitted they have reduced the initial timing belt service to 60k miles to check the belt and replace it with the later version that doesn't shed.

So I don't know your mileage, but I would personally not leave it to 112k miles - I would halve that for peace of mind if you are keeping it - and always use the specific manufacturer recommended oil - it is essential for these engines and for the belt to use the correct spec.

Marc
Gazdw85
Locked user account

Post by Gazdw85 »

Mines done 45,000 and apparently it was measured on the service in march. All issues with the oil began immediately after the update and service. Its back in with them Wednesday. They filled the oil back up and tagged it to see, its done 780 miles and i have very little left on dipstick. I have no warranty obviously but surely a 6!yr old car with that mileage and full pug service history i can complain?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I would stick with it and emphasise the issue only started after the last service. If they are seeing the same excessive oil consumption they may refer it back to Peugeot - any sort of good will gesture is really up to them - but having it dealer-serviced is always important to mention as this does carry weight - as they know you are a repeat customer - so emphasise this. Also, although it over 3 years, you do have under 60k miles in your favour too.

So keep at it and persist. Don't be afraid to talk to Peugeot at Head Office too if you are not getting very far. Something has obviously happened to cause this sudden oil thirst.

Marc