F*%^£$"g lock nuts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly

F*%^£$"g lock nuts

Post by Stekelly »

So I've at least one and possibly one or two more lock nuts stuck on my car. When I swapped the wheels over from the Activa the only nuts I had were the ones on it, inc 4 lock nuts. Didn't think much of it till the other day when I went to swap on my other wheels. Front left lock nut wont move and the wheel brace now just jumps out like a fully torqued Phillips bit. The lock nut key has the 4 holes in it and the pins dropped in (tight originally) but now the pins seem to have moved about and bit and widened the holes, meaning the pins are sat at angles and make the whole thing hop out when I try to turn it.

I got the rear left one off and havnt gone at the right hand side of the car at all.

So what are my options? Drill it (them ) out? Does anyone know are these actually a Citroen set? Can I pick up a spare key somewhere?

Cheers

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: F*%^£$"g lock nuts

Post by xantia_v6 »

That looks like the original citroen item, there should be a code stamped on the key, or (if they are original fitment), a dealer can get a replacement using the VIN.

I would suggest that there is more chance of undoing them using an impact wrench.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Oh dear, when you do get them off I would suggest replacing with standard nuts. Locking wheel nuts are the 1st thing I remove from my cars.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

Nice suntan! How was Summer's Day this year? :P

I'd be using an impact driver with the special socket on a short extension. My Koken "Attack Driver" isn't just a pretty tool in a red box. I'd also make sure all other wheelnuts were done up proper tight first.
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

No promises, but try the following.

Get a trolley jack (or jack) and pump it up to the right height to support the locking wheel nut key, this helps so that all the energy goes into rotating the wheel nut rather than pushing it up or down.

Then get a friend to put pressure on the nut, ie pushing it into the wheel its self so it does not move. And then apply gently increasing turning force as required. I used my torque wrench.

Had a similar situation on a Saab locking wheel nut a while ago, and enlarged the holes just as you described.

Above method got it removed.

Aplogies if the above is teaching you to suck eggs, but was quite proud of myself, when I got the nut off. :-D

Cheers

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
Stekelly

Post by Stekelly »

Cheers folks. Gricey, I gave that a go at the weekend alright but no luck ( I had used the same method to undo the driveshaft nut). I might head to the local tyre place and see can they get them off with the air gun. They most definitely will be getting done away with.

I sent and email to Charles Hurst in Belfast about getting a new key, so hopefully I'll hear back from them too.

This is my key. Number on the bottom is SR 38

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

That happened on my C5, had to resort to the drill, lots of bits, and lots of swearing. No lockers on any car I have anything to do with now.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ste, get a set of Irwin 'Boltgrip' reverse-flute sockets.

I've used such a socket with complete success on one of your style of locking wheel bolt..

This is what the sockets look like:

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stekelly

Post by Stekelly »

Cheers. I'll have a look for them.

How did they workJim? Do you have to hammer it on tight over the round bit in the middle and it digs in when you turn it?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stekelly wrote: How did they workJim? Do you have to hammer it on tight over the round bit in the middle and it digs in when you turn it?
That's it Ste, tap them on and as they turn anti-clockwise to undo the stud they just grip tighter and tighter. Often you have to hammer them off the stud once removed...

They've got me out of mischief on many occasions...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stekelly

Post by Stekelly »

Got a reply from Charles Hurst's . It cant be got, so looks like I'm on my own to try get them off. That Irwin set is my next port of call.
falling-out-with-my-car

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

couldnt you drive down to a tyre fitters or local garage and ask them to apply an air gun impact rachet to it? might be worth it, esspecially if your not putting them back again.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.