Practical Classics

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Practical Classics

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

interesting article in this month's Priactical Classics' for Pug fans such as myself. A group test of 'luxury cars which include a Pug 604 and Renault 30'. Good on 'em for 'thinking outside of the box' and giving us something 'out of the ordinary'. There's a 309TD in the Staff Car Saga's too.

Mods: not sure about effectively 'plugging' PC, here, do remove this post if its inapprpriate.
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Practical Classics

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: Mods: not sure about effectively 'plugging' PC, here, do remove this post if its inapprpriate.
That's absolutely fine, Always happy to see references to good articles in the press...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Kuda

Peugeot 406

Post by Kuda »

Sorry to bother you Citro! Im very new on this forum and still trying to figure out how it works! So I've been doing a lot of googling to try and resolve this issue at hand.
I've got a timing issue with this engine(1996 Peugeot 406 1.8 petrol 16v) XU7JP4 I had the cylinder head reconditioned after it had snapped the timing belt. The problem is the machanic can't seem to get the timing right, he did use those locking pins but when those pins are in place the engine isn't at Tdc.
My question is, Aren't those pins meant to get the timing to Tdc or it isn't set to tdc at all with the timing pins. Is there any other manual way of doing it without having to use the locking pins. Coz when he manually sets the cylinder head to TDC the timing holes don't line up also the same thing applies to the crankshaft

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Kuda,

When timing these engines, and in fact all Peugeot/Citoen engines, the timing holes and pins should always be used.. I believe it is 100% correct that the engine is not at TDC when the pins are in and I've noted this on XUD diesels. I believe this is to avoid valves contacting the piston crowns when setting the timing... I

If the timing is felt to be out when the pins are in use, I would be inclined to check the camshaft sprockets are correctly keyed to the cams and that the inlet and exhaust cams have not been swapped over...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Kuda

Post by Kuda »

Hi CitroJim!
Thanks a lot for the very helpful advice you gave me yesterday!! We managed to get everything all in place, but the car just wouldn't accept the keypad code, it ended up flashing both green and red on the keypad! So we thought something wasn't right with our timing! We were however able to check all four cylinders for compression and they all seemed fine so our were oky! We then checked the timing all pins went in easily. Any idea why the keypad wont accept it's code. Is there any way of reseting the whole system so it can function again?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The keypad has lost communication with the ECU... Check connections and then disconnect the battery for an hour or so before reconnecting it and trying again...

If that does not work, a good search of this forum will reveal topics covering similar problems with the keypad.
Jim