My Bosch fuel pump de-immobilizing attempt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nametooshort
My Cars:

My Bosch fuel pump de-immobilizing attempt

Post by nametooshort »

So, it seems the PugCit had very sophisticated ways to stop you disabling the immobilizer, but of course, now, it just making replacing pumps more difficult.

After reading around a bit, it seems the usual method of resolving this issues is to remove the armor, which is held on with some Torx and some single-use snap-off security bolts. This sounds like somewhat of a problem, especially since on mine, for some reason, ALL the anti-tamper bolts were hardened, not just one. Drilling them out would have been impossible. The usual way of dealing with bolts like this is either with diamond bits, or with abrasive stone bits, but it's labor-intensive. I tried to think if there is any other way of removing it, and decided to cut it off instead. The armor cap is hardened steel too by the looks of it and can't be drilled or cut with saws, but of course, abrasive discs have no problems at all.

So, first of all, here is my pump, with the fuel outlets taped up of course to stop stuff getting into them.

The armor is in the way so you can't even unscrew the injector outlet stubs, so I had to just be very careful to not nudge them with the cutting wheel. I used just a ordinary grinder with a 1mm cutting wheel. First I did three cuts, to join the parts which cannot be cut horizontally since the injector outlets are in the way. Here you see 3 cuts, but I think it can be done with 2.

Then it was just a case of moving the cold-start cable out of the way, taking the fuel input off, blocking the hole so nothing nasty gets in it, remove the throttle cable rubber bush, and then proceed to basically cut all the way around the armored bulge, like its a can of food or something. You can't quiet reach the corners, because the injector outlets are in the way, thats what the initial 3 cuts were for.

I managed to get it so there is only a tiny slither of metal still connecting the cap to the rest of the armor, and bent it out of the way.

The cap itself, made of toughened steel, literally, armor. That would probably protect the pump from a gunshot! Its kind of ironic, how such fine technology went into a car that, 15 or so years later, is pretty much worthless and I got for free from somebody who was going to just junk it.

The immobilizer device itself. Of course, its all cut up from the sides, but who cares, nobody will be needing it.

The immobilizer just pulls out.

The bottom bracket that holds the immobilizer to the solenoid can be just about wriggled out without removing the solenoid, so it don't rattle around, and there we go, one....err...I guess, mobilized Bosch pump! And, all done without touching those troublesome anti-tamper bolts.
The only thing left to do is thoroughly clean everything with compressed air to make sure ALL the metal grinder dust is gone, and then it's good to go.
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: My Bosch fuel pump de-immobilizing attempt

Post by Lighty »

Great description, reminds me of what a b@$+ard those old type pumps were when you changed an engine .
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that's cheating removing the pump for this job what a woooos :shock: :lol: :wink: ,

you are meant to de/armor these pumps in suite as i did,
but i removed all the bolt including the shear bolts on mine,
the shear bolts are easy or at least once you have gained access to them :twisted:

i think it was probably about three shear bolts i had to cut the turret of armor away with a dremill type tool with a cutting disc,

then use a center punch to drift the shear bolts undun, EASY PEASY,
so apart from cutting the turrets away that concealed some of the shear bolts, the armor came away intact :-D :wink: ,

mind you i belive Sir Jim has a special tool for removing shear bolts, and no not a lump hammer :twisted: :roll: :wink:

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: mind you i belive Sir Jim has a special tool for removing shear bolts, and no not a lump hammer :twisted: :roll: :wink:
More of a method really. Drill them a bit to get a hole in the shear-head and then use a hammer-drill in reverse with a masonry drill to impact them loose.

It works...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...