replaceing DMF with solid flywheel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

replaceing DMF with solid flywheel

Post by citronut »

what is the cost of replaceing the DMF on a 2005 307 1.6 HDI for a solid flywheel,

and were are they avalible from

regards malcolm
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: replaceing DMF with solid flywheel

Post by Lighty »

Not sure you can do this on a 1.6 Malc, dont think they are avaliable.
Have seen lots of bad reports in various trade mags about crankshaft failure. LUK claim an increase of 22% fuel consumption , not sure how they arrive at these figures.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I don't think there is a solid flywheel kit available for the 1.6, there might well be if you look hard enough, ive not.

Our 2.0 110 HDi has had a solid flywheel conversion. Its original DMF failed at 60K miles, its now approaching 140K miles. 80K on a solid flywheel and conventional clutch kit, with no problems at all.

If there is a solid alternative for the 1.6HDi then I suspect it would be much cheaper than the DMF and clutch kit. ABout £250 for the DMF and a further £100 - £150 (depending on quality) for the clutch kit.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

I agree with above,fit an O/E quality DMF.I`m old school, was all anti DMF and thinking of solid kits until I saw reports.These modern diesels are designed around a DMF for balance etc,(alot of science stuff.) Think about it as a "spring" and it "gives",if its solid nothing gives.I`ve heard of various models (not Peugeot`s) braking cranks or bell housings after fitting solid kits.Yes they are unreliable and expensive but that`s modern cars for you,bring back real cars.We have an old XU diesel,18yrs old,175000mls still going strong and just had its first clutch !!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

speeking to one of the guys at my local GSF this morning, he says they have had customers with problems getting a new clutch to mate up to the solid flywheel conversion, when they need to replace a new clutch next time round after the conversion,
so they have had to buy a full conversion kit a second time,

regards malcolm
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Oldpug wrote:I agree with above,fit an O/E quality DMF.I`m old school, was all anti DMF and thinking of solid kits until I saw reports.These modern diesels are designed around a DMF for balance etc,(alot of science stuff.) Think about it as a "spring" and it "gives",if its solid nothing gives.I`ve heard of various models (not Peugeot`s) braking cranks or bell housings after fitting solid kits.Yes they are unreliable and expensive but that`s modern cars for you,bring back real cars.We have an old XU diesel,18yrs old,175000mls still going strong and just had its first clutch !!
Things ive heard too, however as our 2.0HDi 110 C5 is an engine previously used without a DMF in the Xantia, 406 and others, its probably not a risk to this engine.

Ive just had to replace a DMF and clutch kit at 30K, what a load of naff rubbish they are!! The design does really need improving on. A friend has just had their DMF replaced under warranty in their 35K mile Audi A4. My clutch plate and the one from the Audi was not worn, its not as if the clutch had been abused.
citronut wrote:speeking to one of the guys at my local GSF this morning, he says they have had customers with problems getting a new clutch to mate up to the solid flywheel conversion, when they need to replace a new clutch next time round after the conversion,

regards malcolm
I had thought about this, im not sure if the one in the 2.0HDI 110 conversion kit will just be a Xantia HDI clutch or something specific.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Last year I was in a ford dealer parts department & there was a guy at the counter looking for a new clutch & flywheel for his transit, the parts bloke offered him the choice of an original kit or a solid conversion, they guy went for the conversion & it was a genuine ford part.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citronut wrote:speeking to one of the guys at my local GSF this morning, he says they have had customers with problems getting a new clutch to mate up to the solid flywheel conversion, when they need to replace a new clutch next time round after the conversion,
IIRC that problem occurs when spurious (pattern) parts are used, stick to an original manufacturer product and they are compatible, much like body panels, buy a cheap wing then spend two days trying to get it to fit correctly!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

wheeler wrote:Last year I was in a ford dealer parts department & there was a guy at the counter looking for a new clutch & flywheel for his transit, the parts bloke offered him the choice of an original kit or a solid conversion, they guy went for the conversion & it was a genuine ford part.
Apparently Transits have awful problems with their DMFs, ive heard a lot of reports that when the DMF fails it twists round and covers the retaining bolts, the DMF then has to be cut off.

Our C5 8v HDi with the solid flywheel has a Valeo clutch kit.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote:
I initially read that as it having a Velcro clutch :roll: Must go to specsavers...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote: I initially read that as it having a Velcro clutch :roll: Must go to specsavers...
probably work better and for longer than the crap they have fitted w hen they leave the factory

regards malcolm
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

CitroJim wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:
I initially read that as it having a Velcro clutch :roll: Must go to specsavers...
:lol:

I would imagine so Malcolm :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

Our 806 has chewed two DMFs with the second LuK one hardly lasting 30,000 miles. The original one tried to gnaw through the gearbox casing but luckily I removed it before it did.

It now has a Valeo four part solid flywheel and I have noticed no difference at all except a very slightly harsher engine note when accelerating hard. I drive the 806 hard and tow a caravan with it. If something was going to break I would have broken it.

The fuel economy seems totally unaffected.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm told that when the DMF is failing it gives a tell tale 'squeak' when you let the clutch in - my 406 has been doing that ever since I had it and it hasn't got any worse in 12,000 miles, the pedal is high as well, but it shows no sign of failing.

Peter
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Peter.N. wrote:I'm told that when the DMF is failing it gives a tell tale 'squeak' when you let the clutch in - my 406 has been doing that ever since I had it and it hasn't got any worse in 12,000 miles, the pedal is high as well, but it shows no sign of failing.

Peter
Mine didn't squeak, or not to my knowledge.

Do all 406 HDis have a DMF Peter?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10