C5 X7 automatic gearbox oil change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

C5 X7 automatic gearbox oil change

Post by vborovic »

I'll be driving the car to my Citroen Service for regular interval maintenance (126000 km currently, approx. 78k miles) next week, and I've asked them whether they did any gearbox oil change on the same model so far. They actually did, but the interesting (or worrying) thing is that it was done on cars that were a bit older than mine and with higher mileage (approx 125k miles), after the owners tried claiming that the gearbox oil isn't designed to be replaced (false advertising or something like that) ...

I've asked them to do it (maybe one interval sooner than regular) after reading the comments regarding this issue on FCF, and I've decided that I don't want to kill the gearbox by saving on a few liters of gearbox fluid if I can prevent it, and have the full oil change done ... my car has the AM6C1 gearbox, and I'd also recommend to all the owners (that's a 6-speed on a 2.0 HDi 163 BHP, also available on some other X7s) to get the same done if they're approaching the 100k mark on the odometer ... The Service Documentation states that the required oil is AW-1 (the engine is EURO-5), price ranging from 8-25 GBP per liter, so that's a rather inexpensive preventive measure to take care of IMO ...
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Re: C5 X7 automatic gearbox oil change

Post by Xantippa »

There´s two options for that change, partially change 3 out of 6 liters, which is very easy, and then the full change. Full change must be made with "flushing", so it takes about ten liters of oil to do that, thus it´s much more expensive. I've decided to go with cheaper method more often and I'm going to get that 3 liters changed every 40000 kilometers.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'm also on the 3 liter version on every second interval from now on (the shifting is still smooth, and no indication that something could go wrong in the near future) ... unless something major happens, and I'll be forced to replace all the oil in the gearbox ...
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

I guess that's the same Aisin transmission as in my C6 (and many other cars)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've partially changed the fluid in mine 3 times now, just under 3 litres each time, over a total period of about 10K miles. I used Comma ASW on advisement. The gearbox always worked fine, but this was preventative maintenance, though I can't help feeling its changes are even smoother now (though still not as good as my 30 year old Merc).
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Today, among some other things, the gearbox oil was (partially) changed ... 3,5 litres, price approx. 25 GBP per liter ... below you'll find the front & back of the oil bottle used, it is what was available to the Citroen Service by the part number, they checked a couple of times through different supply channels whether it is the right one (AW-1 oil isn't mentioned anywhere in the Service Documentation, except in the maintenance procedures, with no part no. for it) ... I can confirm that the gear changes are definitely more smooth, automatic mode and manual shifting up / down the gears (the lag still exists however .. :D ), and would recommend the procedure to anyone who's passed 80k miles or more without doing so ...

On a sidenote, I've been informed today that I'm one month overdue for the warranty corrosion check (per the manufacturers documentation), so we'll be doing that next week (half an hour job) ... the due date is 4 years after the first registration/purchase date, so if anyone of you is nearing that period with their C5 X7, here's a reminder to complete this, to avoid any corrosion related issues later on (disputes etc) because you didn't inspect the car on time.

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

For UK members opie oils stock this at £13/litre or £65/5litres
:)

I'll be ordering some soon!
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

In Finland you can get that 13,90€/litre. But is that really right oil for vborovic´s car? Newer models with that AM6 transmission require different more expensive oil, and I thought that that 163hp engine should have that more expensive oil?
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I didn't investigate about the composition/quality differences between the EURO4 & EURO5/6 gearbox oil, but the difference in price is definitely not small (at least those that are distributed through the Service network)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Some Info

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr ... er=1371862" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://web.archive.org/web/200502180617 ... warner.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I´m pretty sure that it´s not dangerous to use that "older" oil, and propably you can do as much miles per gallon as you did earlier with it.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

To add to the mild uncertainty.....
Doc Backup has this to say about 'box lubricants for the 2011 model year C5
AM6 automatic gearbox All countries Special oil (Parts reference : 9980 D4)
AM6-2 - AT6 automatic gearbox All countries Special oil (Parts reference : 9734 R7)

I'm sure that doesn't help much - but I thought I'd throw it in anyway :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

That's one of the reasons I've decided to let my Citroen Service deal with it ... if anything goes wrong due to wrong oil (which I hope it isn't), they'll be to blame, not me ... :D ...
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

My C5 takes a while to unlock the gearbox from the parking position - sometimes it can take 5-6 seconds pressing the brake pedal before being able to change to Drive. Is this an oil problem or electronics?
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I could be wrong, but I think the lock is electro-magnetic, a pin that just gets in the way of the shift lever to prevent it from going off P when the brake isn't applied, so electronics or something related to physically moving that pin, not the oil ...
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

osx wrote:My C5 takes a while to unlock the gearbox from the parking position - sometimes it can take 5-6 seconds pressing the brake pedal before being able to change to Drive. Is this an oil problem or electronics?
Brake pedal switch is quite common problem, so I would check that first.