C4 Picasso under bonnet fusebox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

C4 Picasso under bonnet fusebox

Post by RichardW »

Anyone changed one.... :?

Been getting sporadic ESP / handbrake fault coming up - changed the brake light switch a couple of weeks ago which improved things a lot, but it's still there. Finally got a Lexia :-D and plugged it in, expecting to see Yaw sensor or steering angle sensor - but no, only fault is U1208 - communication with engine ECU. Google suggests this is probably caused by a failure of the underbonnet fuse box (although failed wiring at the back of the battery is also possible). It's not a disaster (£150 on the bay new - not coded AFAIK so could go 2nd hand but then risk the replacement being no better!), but no idea what it's like to change. We had the one out of my mate's C5 when we did the clutch and wrecked it putting it back in :shock:

I couldn't easily see how to clear the faults in that ECU, but then it was raining, and a 2 year old was clambering all over me :P

Slightly more worrying is a slew of EGR valve faults in the engine ECU..... :shock:

See my thoughts about chopping it in when the oil strainer blocked up.....they're returning :twisted:
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C4 Picasso under bonnet fusebox

Post by wheeler »

The wire that rots behind the battery normally causes a complete non start situation & no communication with the ABS ECU but it could be worth checking first.
The C4 Pic fusebox should be almost identical to the C5, How did you manage to break it & why did you have it out for a clutch change ?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote: Been getting sporadic ESP / handbrake fault coming up - changed the brake light switch a couple of weeks ago which improved things a lot, but it's still there. Finally got a Lexia :-D and plugged it in, expecting to see Yaw sensor or steering angle sensor - but no, only fault is U1208 - communication with engine ECU.
You might have been too slow getting the Lexia onto the car - some temporary faults are automatically erased quite soon after they stop misbehaving so I'm not surprised nothing was listed. If it happens again get the Lexia on it ASAP and I think you'll find something.
Google suggests this is probably caused by a failure of the underbonnet fuse box (although failed wiring at the back of the battery is also possible). It's not a disaster (£150 on the bay new - not coded AFAIK so could go 2nd hand but then risk the replacement being no better!), but no idea what it's like to change. We had the one out of my mate's C5 when we did the clutch and wrecked it putting it back in :shock:
Not sure how communication failure between the two ECU's would be caused by problems in the fuse box - I would have thought that would cause one or the other ECU to fail to work at all, and the symptoms of that would be more obvious than a warning on the dash. :lol: If it was my car I'd be trying to find the connectors for the two ECU's in question and giving them a good clean with contact cleaner and also do a visual inspection of the wiring harness between them. (Easier said than done I know!)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

wheeler wrote:The wire that rots behind the battery normally causes a complete non start situation & no communication with the ABS ECU but it could be worth checking first.
The C4 Pic fusebox should be almost identical to the C5, How did you manage to break it & why did you have it out for a clutch change ?
Does the wire drop right off wheeler, or just go a bit thin looking?

Re the C5 - took it out 'coz Haynes said so :lol: IIRC it was obstructing the gearbox mount in any case - perhaps it is possible to get the box out without removing it with practice - but it was hard enough as it was. Break it? Easy - there was an ominous crack as my mate tightened up the nut on the main power post. Must have broken the supply off the board. It started intially, but then refused to later on with all sorts of random-ness going on....
Mandrake wrote:You might have been too slow getting the Lexia onto the car - some temporary faults are automatically erased quite soon after they stop misbehaving so I'm not surprised nothing was listed. If it happens again get the Lexia on it ASAP and I think you'll find something.
Maybe, sure the light was on earlier in the day, so it would have had 2 start max since.
Mandrake wrote:Not sure how communication failure between the two ECU's would be caused by problems in the fuse box - I would have thought that would cause one or the other ECU to fail to work at all, and the symptoms of that would be more obvious than a warning on the dash. If it was my car I'd be trying to find the connectors for the two ECU's in question and giving them a good clean with contact cleaner and also do a visual inspection of the wiring harness between them. (Easier said than done I know!)
Dunno - might be one of those things where replacing the fuse box fixes it, but in reality the act of unplugging the connectors etc is enough to fix it. That was going to be my first job anyway, drop the battery out, have a look at the wires behind, and then the connectors and fuses on the board.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Richard i spoz this isnt the fuse box you require

http://tinyurl.com/p6h7fvl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Worth checking with Citroen, most of the C4 Picasso fuse boxes are £50 + vat
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Malcolm - don't think so, believe that is the BSI unit. Price is very good for what it is though - Citroen want £360!!!

Lighty - part number for mine appears to be about £170 - unless I am looking at the wrong fuse board....(believe it's one like this) that's the part under the plastic cover at the rear NS of the engine bay next to the battery. Only too pleased if it's another one somewhere which is cheaper... but if you can get the same for £50, then I'd be happy to pay a handling fee on top! :-D
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok Richard,

the one in your link is from a salvage yard though, is that such a good idea on this type of part??????
Regards, malcolm.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Just an example Malc, first one that came up on a search - I would certainly only fit new. The part number (which I can't remember off hand) turned up a hit on a genuine one for a bit less than Citroen. There's a possibility that the 307 has the same board, so I might be able to do a swap to confirm diagnosis - in fact the 307 may not be that bothered as it doesn't have ESP..... :rofl2:
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

@ lighty, interesting info from service.citroen:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00006500FG FUSE BOX 141.61 GBP 169.93 GBP 169.93 GBP

9675877980 FUSE BOX 52.94 GBP 63.53 GBP 63.53 GBP

Ours gives 6500FG - change to the 96 number occurred at RP 11438 - ours is just before that (11382 IIRC). Wonder what the difference is, and if the newer (and substantially cheaper!) one will fit???? Comparing photos from e-bay (where you can buy the cheaper one for MORE than Citroen if you want :lol: ) the connectors are the same, but there are some differences in fuses, and componenents visible through the top of the board, suggesting it would plug in, but may well not play. Unless anyone wants to lend me one to try out :mrgreen:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that first part No. comes back as no document found on pug service box,

the second comes back with

1 document(s) found for 3008
1 document(s) found for RCZ
1 document(s) found for 5008
1 document(s) found for 407
Regards, malcolm.

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

RichardW wrote:
wheeler wrote:The wire that rots behind the battery normally causes a complete non start situation & no communication with the ABS ECU but it could be worth checking first.
Does the wire drop right off wheeler, or just go a bit thin looking?
Its a thin blue wire that rot's, it can look like its in one piece but if you give it a tug it breaks apart. if you look at the fusebox on the battery positive terminal there is a blue wire coming off one of the mini fuses, its that wire. follow it down the back of the battery.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

RichardW wrote:@ lighty, interesting info from service.citroen:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00006500FG FUSE BOX 141.61 GBP 169.93 GBP 169.93 GBP

9675877980 FUSE BOX 52.94 GBP 63.53 GBP 63.53 GBP

Ours gives 6500FG - change to the 96 number occurred at RP 11438 - ours is just before that (11382 IIRC). Wonder what the difference is, and if the newer (and substantially cheaper!) one will fit???? Comparing photos from e-bay (where you can buy the cheaper one for MORE than Citroen if you want :lol: ) the connectors are the same, but there are some differences in fuses, and componenents visible through the top of the board, suggesting it would plug in, but may well not play. Unless anyone wants to lend me one to try out :mrgreen:
I have a £50 one at work, with the part no, will take a pic of it tomorrow & post it up, could send it you for a trial if you like.
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Cheers Lighty - some pics would be useful. If it's dry at the weekend I might try and get a look at it.
Richard W
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Here you go
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami