1.6 HDi cambelt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

1.6 HDi cambelt change

Post by RichardW »

While it's fresh in my mind! Did the one of the C4 Picasso last weekend. It's only done 73k, but it was horribly noisy. I bought a genuine replacement kit from ebay for £112 - GSF knock them out at about £85 - except on the day I wanted one when it was £120 :evil: The job is covered in the C5 Haynes pretty well - replacement of the crankshaft pulley bolt is recommended, new ones £3.60 from Citroen - except they come in packets of 2 (why?????) if they're not in stock - otherwise the bay can supply. I bought a timing pin kit as well - one for each of the crank, cam and IP, plus a 12mm dowel to lock the crank for removal of the pulley bolt. It's a pretty straightforward job, once you get past the aux belt tensioner (or stretchy belt as some (inc my 307) are fitted with). On the C4 it has a lug on the top, which a 15mm 6 sided socket is not a bad fit for. On mine I needed an E-spline, T50, 16mm and 18mm sockets that might be out of the ordinary.

Pretty std stuff:

Jack up and support, remove undertray and OS wheel arch liner
Remove aux belt
Find the hole in the engine back plate above the exhaust flexi, and insert the big pin, turn the engine over forwards till the pin drops in to the lock hole in the flywheel (there appear to be 2 - this is not easy on your own!), remove the crank pulley bolt (not as hard as a 2.0, as it's not thread locked). Remove the locking pin, and crank pulley
Support engine, remove the engine mount and top cover, then the bottom cover and engine mount bracket (they have to be removed together), then belt retainer and crank sensor.
Time up the engine - easy as all at the belt end
Undo the belt tensioner and remove the old belt, tensioner and idler
Drain the coolant (there is a drain plug on the back, but it's above the drive shaft and all but inaccessible) - we just split the coolant hose just under the crank which worked well.
Remove the water pump - about 6 bolts, then mine needed a good levering to get it to release - there is handy lug at the top front corner, but it required a long jemmy bar to get it moving :lol:
Refit water pump - the OE one came with 2 bolts which are screwed into the gasket and make it easier to locate
Refit the tensioner loosely, but with the retaining yoke engaged on the spigot, but not the idler
Fit the new belt to the crank, then up the back run, keeping it taut, then over the cam, and then refit the idler and tighten the nut
Turn the eccentric adjuster with a 6mm allen key till the pointer lines up with the centre of the yoke - they come fitted with a pin in this position, so you can just do it till the pin is loose - tighten the bolt (whilst still holding the allen key - otherwise you let go and the tension is all wrong!).
Remove pins, turn engine over forwards 3 or 4 crank turns and re-check timing and tension
Put it all back together. Haynes gives 35NM + 190 deg for the crank pulley bolt - use the flywheel pin again to lock
Refill the coolant - there is a bleed screw on the heater hose and another on the thermostat housing. We managed without a header tank - put coolant in tank, seal the top with your hand, undo the vent pipe from the rad, then blow (hard!) down the vent pipe - this pushes the air / water out much faster.
Re fit aux belt
Re-start engine, and marvel at how quiet it is, and how well it pulls now :mrgreen:

When I do the 307 (still quiet....) I will figure out the stretchy belt business!!
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: 1.6 HDi cambelt change

Post by citroenxm »

Sisters c4 had stretchy belt crap on it.. and stretchy it is.. the fixing point for a normal tensioner is there on the engine so why not bloody fit one. I would. Id sack the stretchy belt.. fit a tensioner and fitca normal ridged belt.

I buggered up my sisters altinator trying to stretch fit the belt back on. I used a long bolt and tried to lever the altonator back into place with a long screw driver. I had to resort to removing the exhaust down pipe to get at the right hand bolt while levering with the left side.. it was not easy. Apparently theres a proper stretch belt fitting tool..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto