C5 engine undertray and water in footwells

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cornishfifer
My Cars:

C5 engine undertray and water in footwells

Post by cornishfifer »

Ive got 2 problems with my 2006 c5,the first my engine undertray got torn off on a journey down the M5 and i have been driving about without one for the last few months with no problems ,my question is do i have to buy another one as this could/will cause any damage to the engine parts?
Second i have a lot of water in my footwells and i dont know where it is coming from,i have checked drainage holes around the car and all are clear, i have also checked around the top of the footwell carpet and they seam to be dry so i dont have a clue where its coming from.
Any help on any of the questions will be most appreciated
Steve
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Re: C5 engine undertray and water in footwells

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi mate sorry to hear you are having problems. Re the undertray I think it is important especially this time of year with the salt on the roads not to mention the flooding. Also the undertray provides extra strength for the front bumper. I found a place selling brand new ones complete with all fixings for £32 off Ebay. It fitted perfectly. Does the car fill up with water after it rains or just when driving through water?
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
cornishfifer
My Cars:

Post by cornishfifer »

Hi
Ive been looking on ebay for the undertray and have only found 1 in Poland with no fixings for £35 icl delivery.
As for the water it gets wet just sitting on my drive,but i did go out this morning when it was very wet down here and it did get worse.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Got a sunroof? Check seals round rear lights, check for ingress into the boot well. Can the water be getting through the doors/window rubber seal?
Yes, the undertray ties in the front bodywork as well as protecting components from spray, salt and road debris .
Some drivers have not refitted them and they say everything is OK. Time will tell! (of course by then it will be too late)
Can you really see a manufacturer spending profit on something completely without purpose?

You don't say if the car is petrol or diesel, or what engine size it is. Don't know, but the under-trays could be different. Maybe someone knows of a source, but without more info they won't be able to help.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
StevieOMG
My Cars:

Post by StevieOMG »

I lost my under tray in early 2004. 100k miles and nearly 10 years hence I have had no problems.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I lost mine on Christmas day after hitting what I thought was a rabbit at speed. I won't be getting another.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

StevieOMG wrote:I lost my under tray in early 2004. 100k miles and nearly 10 years hence I have had no problems.
I think you've already paid for at least a couple of them from the extra petrol you have been burning on the motorway :lol:
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

:rofl2:
Can't argue with that.
Rick.

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Windscreen seal? I had water in the footwell that was fixed by the dealers resealing it. At my expense. It was a 56 plate.
There are also some drains from the back edges of the engine that exit at the bottom where mud flaps go.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi mate. Here is the undertray I bought. I personally feel happier with one and the car was designed to have one in the first place but others here have managed without one so up to you :-)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-Un ... 0624015081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They list other C5s so you should find yours.
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Get one especially if you are doing motorway miles. For that price I would not ever think of not replacing it. The original DS could get an extra 10 km/h top speed with the undertray compared to an open engine bay ;-)
Last edited by osx on 28 Dec 2013, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
cornishfifer
My Cars:

Post by cornishfifer »

mooseshaver wrote:Windscreen seal? I had water in the footwell that was fixed by the dealers resealing it. At my expense. It was a 56 plate.
There are also some drains from the back edges of the engine that exit at the bottom where mud flaps go.
Ive had 2 windscreens fitted in the last 15 months! i did have some water in the car last year but its not as bad as this year so i might go and find someone who can reseal it,how much did it cost?
As for the drains at the back edges of the engine on the mud flaps they seam to be draining ok.
I dont have a sunroof and the door seals seam to be fine
The car is a c5 2006 vtr 2.0hdi
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Loosing coolant ?, any "smell" ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I can't remember the cost sorry. Was a long time ago. I was told it was a common problem on the facelift models.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Member "Boristhespie" has just bought and fitted a new under engine tray. Same car I think. You might want to PM him.
Undertray is part of the cars aerodynamics, and suppresses road noise, can affect handling and certainly speed and fuel consumption.
Rick.