Triple Qx engine oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Triple Qx engine oil

Post by 411514 »

Both as a heads up to those interested and in order to gain the general consensus on this stuff i thought i would post this.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Citro ... &0&cc5_248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When applying the 25% discount sums up to a little over £15, free delivery.
Has anyone used this, i have been running the recommended total quartz in my 2.0hdi 8v c5, but with this being almost half what i pay for the total im wondering if it would be better switching to this and halving change intervals.
Whilst i cant complain about the total, i know lots of people are preachers of using the cheapest oil and changing often, what is the general opinion here, cheers sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I always say "Look at what ends cars' lives".

Is it rust, collision, nil resale value, engine failure? Why are scrapyards full of dead cars with halfway decent engines?

Oil changes are good practice within reason, but for obsession beyond that I maintain a lot of people are just pulling their pud'.
imperial21
My Cars:

Re: Triple Qx engine oil

Post by imperial21 »

I have used that oil and think its fine, A company the size of ECP would nt stock complete rubbish as it would lose its customers and get plenty of complaints, ECP is mainly a trade supplier so the trade uses it fine, They used to use car plan oils again cheap and cheerful oil (GSF still use it) I would say its fine to use and change regularly.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re:

Post by myglaren »

addo wrote:I always say "Look at what ends cars' lives".

Is it rust, collision, nil resale value, engine failure? Why are scrapyards full of dead cars with halfway decent engines?

Oil changes are good practice within reason, but for obsession beyond that I maintain a lot of people are just pulling their pud'.
I think that is certainly true of older engines Adam but becoming less so with newer ones.
The 1.6 110 HDi engines appear to suffer ill-effects on the turbo if the incorrect oil type is used and/or service intervals are protracted.
Same with the Renault 1.9 DCi.

I have also heard anecdotal evidence of VAG engines being extremely finicky about the type of oil used and breakdowns occurring that required extensive engine repairs or complete replacement.

I certainly use the advised oil grade and change it at half the recommended intervals, mainly as I use the car in the worst possible way - short trip to work, short trip home and to the shops giving an average of ten miles a day split into three journeys. Bad for the engine and the oil that rarely warms up enough to cook out the crap it accumulates.

I did used to change the oil on the Xantia very frequently, probably far more frequently than was necessary, once a month in fact.
I was doing very high mileages back then, 700~1,000 miles a week on average. Good for the engine and the oil. Used cheap supermarket oil that was of the required BS spec. Always came out pretty clean. 10 minute job so it was hardly a chore to do and cheap insurance.

I have used Comma and *** oil (Can't remember the exact name, will after posting) but do try and get Total Quartz 9000 as often as possible.Anyone's guess what is in there now as I had it done along with some other work last week. The guy is quite good at putting the right stuff in though and it will be changed for the correct oil before too long.
Second hand car anyway, could have been anything in there when I bought it, probably was too.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Just answering my own post for anyone searching this topic. I strongly recommend avoiding the triple qx stuff. I recently bought some to do an oil change on a c5 hdi. Container arrived in the post covered in oil that had leaked from clearly a poor quality lid, (hardly inspires confindence in such an important and probably quite complex item when the manufacturers cannot even design a proper lid).
When pouring the oil in I noticed that it seemed very thin, not much thicker than water and certainly not what I was used to. Did one long motorway trip and apart from noticing a distinct increase in engine noise/vibration, when stopped with the engine running I noticed a distinct blue tinge to the exhaust emissions and when checking the oil level later (200 miles) on had lost a good few mm of oil on the dipstick. Also the low oil level warning kept sounding, I can only assume that the oil was so thin it was not allowing for detection by the sensor, (is it an optical sensor?).
Needless to say all the above problems had not ocurred before this oil was used and immediately upon my return I swapped the oil straight back to the pukka total quartz and problems have now disappeared.
For the small saving in cost it is not an oil I will be using/recommending again, Sam.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hmm, I've got some in the garage due to go in a 1.6 HDi - I'll have a look / feel of it before I commit to putting it in....
Richard W
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I prefer not to scrimp on engine oil. It's just too expensive to sort any damage caused by cheap stuff.
I like to use Mobil 1 ESP 5W/30 Oil 5L in my 2.2 HDi. It helps prolong FAP life. I may be a bit bias as I used to get mine free.
It ain't cheap, that's for sure but my engine deserves the best.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.