4HP20

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy

4HP20

Post by Stempy »

Having a fiddle round the autobox with a view to changing the oil, a job I've been meaning to do for ages, the thing I thought was a dip stick is actually a breather cap. Taking a closer look, where the dip stick should be there is nothing, the casting seems to have the dipstick hole blanked off.
Can I assume that later 4HP20's did away with the dip stick, and if so, how do you check the oil level? Does it have a level plug like the AL4? If so, where is it? There doesn't seem to be anywhere to refill it either, only the breather hole which is quite small and looks like it would take a month of Sundays to get the new oil through.
David Goddard

Post by David Goddard »

Later 4HP20's are apparently designed as "sealed for life". If you really have to change the fluid, the level is checked via a plug on the side of the box but it's well tricky as it's under the car, so without a ramp the car won't be level!. Also it's close to the very hot exhaust pipe.
To fill, you remove the plastic breather then the tubular steel part to give a normal 10mm dia hole. Buy a new part beforehand. Finally, this gearbox uses a special fluid, not the regular stuff.
Stempy

Post by Stempy »

I've got the special oil. When they say sealed for life, what do they mean by life? Until it goes wrong?
I'll get the new bits in before I start then, thanks for the advice, There doesn't seem to be much info about these boxes available. Mine seems to have a small problem, don't know whether it's software or hardware
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

Mine, a Mk1 Xantia V6 does have a transmsission dipstick, as I checked the level a few months ago.
Mike
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

Hi Stempy
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-20 ... recap3.htm
I seem to recall that this site has info (and diagrams!!) which might assist you in this matter especially the box with no dipstick and the combined level/drain plug in the base.
John
Stempy

Post by Stempy »

Thanks, but that's the AL4 box which is PSA's own version of the 4HP20 and not quite the same.