Lower Ball joint removal

Guides on how to approach the more common problems experienced by our members.
Please don't post in this forum but link to the threads here where necessary.
Anyone wishing to create a howto please submit to a mod or admin for inclusion here. Subject to being edited.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

harryp
(Donor 2022)

Lower Ball joint removal

Post by harryp »

Hello all,
Was talking to Hell Razor at the XM25 and the subject of lower ball joint replacement came up :wink: . He suggested I put this on the Forum :-D .
Story goes I had tried the long bar, but desisted as the torque was doing horrible things to the suspension and nothing was moving :cry: . So I resorted to :shock: spending money :shock:!
I purchased a Clarke electric Impact Driver (rattler). Size and cost of a mains powered drill. £68 IIRC.
Put the said item with the necessary tool, socket on the Joint for 5 secs.... got showered in all manner of sh1te and as it was getting dark (YES IT IS AN EXCUSE) sprayed it with "get in there" (honest, it was all I could get from the local factor). Well the next morning, I tried again and in 3 seconds had the joint in my hand.
I had wanted such an item since borrowing my former neighbours air gun - at his insistence) when removing "rusted solid" wheel nuts on my then Golf. One nut took about 5 mins to get out, but my neighbour said "just sit with it. It will undo" - and it did :o .
Now I wish I had bought it then as it would have saved a few sheared bolts on the current ride and no end of drilling and shattered drill bits :oops: .
I know that the professionals on here have access to the "proper" tools, but hope that this may give heart to those of us who make do and invent - not always correctly :) , All I can say is that it works; very well :-D .
HTH,
Harry
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
harryp
(Donor 2022)

Re: Lower Ball joint removal

Post by harryp »

Now that's not a very nice thing to say to us when it actually warmed up to 14' at the moment 19:00 :( .
Crankshaft bolt I did the CitroenXM way usng the starter motor :) Surprisingly effective and quick, although whilst contemplating it, was wishing I had one then :wink:
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Harry, thanks for this, good to know how effective those tools are on a very difficult subject...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
harryp
(Donor 2022)

Post by harryp »

"superloopy wrote:
Just to sing the praises of the Clarke rattle gun ... and as an update, it did my crankshaft pulley bolt in all of 5 secs!!"

Great :-D , Pleased to hear my balljoint removal wasn't just a lucky fluke :wink: ! I had to use a breaker bar to wind my whole crankshaft bolt out - really could have done with it then! Isn't technology wonderful :lol: .....
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E