Renault Megane MK 3 cabin filter replacement.

Guides on how to approach the more common problems experienced by our members.
Please don't post in this forum but link to the threads here where necessary.
Anyone wishing to create a howto please submit to a mod or admin for inclusion here. Subject to being edited.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Lighty

Renault Megane MK 3 cabin filter replacement.

Post by Lighty »

Tried to find some info on this today, and there is very little on the various forums, so I thought I would do,you all a little guide :D
Only info I could find was for LHd vehicles, but the RHD is very different.
The filter is under the dash on the drivers side (RHD) , the panel you need to remove is not obvious at all.
Anyway, to start, remove the under dash felt panel, it is held with 3 pop clips.Then take off the kick panel next to the clutch. This just pulls off, here is a pic of the fasteners on the rear

Next you need to move the entire clutch pedal assembly, sounds mad I know , but is not too hard really.It is held on with 4 x 13mm nuts, you can only see 2 in the pic, but there are two more above the pedal itself. They are not symmetrical and 1 is quite hard to get at.

To remove the pedal assembly, I unplugged the wire from the lower clutch switch (green), and completely remove the upper clutch switch (blue), as it gets in the way a little, a little twist frees it from the holder.
There is no need to take the pedal,out , and just lowering it down does the trick. Be carefull,as it has two pipes, and I dread to think how much work and cost would be involved if you broke them [-X
This is the pedal assembly unbolted

Now you will need to locate the removable panel, which is difficult to see, and where the pics will help.
The screws are 20 Torx head, and silver, there are just two.

This is the panel off

You will now see the end of the filter (just), it will take a good pull to,get it out as it needs to collapse a bit to come out of the hole

Filter removed

Next step is to get the new filter in, which again has to be squashed slightly to get in the hole, but does pop back into shape when fully in.

This pic shows it not quite in properly

Once the cover is in, rebuild it all back together, make PARTICULAR care to fit the clutch switches correctly, as if you switch the ignition on with them disconnected, it will bring up a fault that will require diagnostic kit to turn off.
Hopefully this will give people some help to do,this job , wish I had found a decent guide 8-[ . If you have used this please leave me a positive comment as repayment :mrgreen:
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Xaccers

Re: Renault Megane MK 3 cabin filter replacement.

Post by Xaccers »

What a palava!
Excellent guide Lighty
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Lighty

Post by Lighty »

Thanks, probably took me 40 mins, would think I could do it in 30 now I know what I am doing .
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Christ on a bike! And I thought the pollen filter in a C4 Picasso was bad enough - at least you don't have to take the clutch pedal out, although maybe that would make it easier :-D
Richard W
Andy 42
New User

Post by Andy 42 »

The photos were really useful. I knew you had to take the clutch pedal out but I still would have had trouble finding the cover. Thanks
leslie
New User

Post by leslie »

Excellent information, the first time I had it done by the dealer when under warranty, they broke a part on the steering column as they said it had to "come off" also! Will do it myself next time.
Many Thanks
leslie.
9906graham
New User

Post by 9906graham »

Excellent description of removal and pictures of great quality. Work on French cars most of time and thought i had to change one at some point so was good to see how it is done. Is it the same procedure on scenic 3 although filter is different ?
stevemeganesteve

Post by stevemeganesteve »

Great info, it must take a few goes to get the time down........ I can't even see the filter cover even with the clutch peddle dropped...... Even disconnected the brake to get a look no joy......... Do it by feel tomorrow........

What is the replacement interval for this pollen filter?
Monty

Post by Monty »

Thank you so much for your post, i still took a few hours but I would have had no chance without these instructions. One extra note you need to squeeze two plastic catches together on the filter cover for it to release once you have removed the screws.
Monty

Post by Monty »

stevemeganesteve wrote:Great info, it must take a few goes to get the time down........ I can't even see the filter cover even with the clutch peddle dropped...... Even disconnected the brake to get a look no joy......... Do it by feel tomorrow........

What is the replacement interval for this pollen filter?
I did mine at 4.5 years 90,000 miles which is to long. The airflow into the cabin almost zero before change and the filter was completely black..
Fil1

Post by Fil1 »

Hello, just changed megane 111 pollen filter. Do not take the clutch pedal off there is no need. Take out the 2 retaining screws and remove the cover. Pull out old filter and squeeze the new one in. Replace cover and screws. 15 minutes tops.
Jonsey

Post by Jonsey »

I know this subject has been quiet for the last few years but I just came across it after trying to change one on my daughters car. The problem is that what seems to be an awkward job looks even worse as this one doesnt have any obvious access panel! I have read somewhere that some had clips instead of bolts holding the cover on. Any ideas?
Itsallnicolesfault
New User

Post by Itsallnicolesfault »

Hi,

I know it’s an old thread/news now, but I did this yesterday without removing the clutch pedal. It’s not easy and very fiddly. But I managed to tease out the old filter dated 2015, on a 2012 car. The end cap had no screws in so it had been done at least once, this clipped back in fine without the screws also, I’ll check if it’s popped off after some driving. New filter went in with some bending and teasing and swearing.
And to add to it in the box there’s picture instructions with a lhd megane, and it says 15 minutes. Not on the rhd it’s not.