MikeT's C5r 1.6 hdi Estate

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

MikeT

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 hdi Estate

Post by MikeT »

I think my spannering days are well and truly over, as I lay here on my bed, waiting for the paralysis to subside and regain some feeling in my left leg.
And my only job was to replace the droplink !!!! :evil:
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm getting a bit like that Mike, My screen wash has stopped working, went out this morning and checked the fuse, fuse ok, couldn't be bothered to go any further, another job another day when the temperature comes back up a bit.

Screen wash pump is hidden away behind the RH front wing and needs the under wing shield of to get at it, can't even just give it a clout . :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

The worst of it was I'd unintentionally introduced a clonking fault which left me unable to drive the car to the pre-arranged re-test, then to the bank to pay in some money (hopefully before the next DD puts me in the red and incurs charges).

After the bed-rest I had little choice but to jack the car up again, rotate the wheel and thankfully discovered I'd bent a cable bracket which was catching. Bent it back and had use of the car again!
So here I am, Pass cert in hand, bank balance topped up and car tax renewed.

Having said that, I know I'm going to suffer elevated pains levels over the weekend.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, sorry to hear how things are with you :( I understand entirely as for different reasons both my driving and spannering days are more or less over...

Sad days but at least you have a pass certificate in your hand :)

I really hope things might improve Mike and you won't be in too much pain this weekend...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hopefully just a day or two of misery - it will often last a week or more but as long as I can get horizontal as and when needed, I should recover sooner. I rarely venture out on Saturdays anyway.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Woke today not feeling too bad, at least able to get up and move around without too much bother, just the usual aches and soreness more pronounced in muscle areas used most yesterday - right shoulder, arms and hands. I've got a nasty bruise on the inside of my ring finger, presumably from the 19mm spanner.
MikeT wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 20:11 Talking in metaphors, what worn steering/suspension components give the impressoin of walking in high heels and your ankle gives way :rofl2: , especially when running over raised points like cat's eyes, road markings, potholes? A bit of an exaggeration but that's what comes to mind when I find myself having to counter steer slightly on what should be an otherwise straight and flat bit of road. It's been like this since I've bought it and has passed two MOT's over 15,000 miles. It's not dangerous (that I know of) but does take away from the driving experience.

Meanwhile, I'm pleasantly surprised to find the cause of this complaint may well have been fixed by replacing the droplink yesterday. To and from the MOT station yesterday I thought the steering felt more sure but put it down to placebo - until today. It's definitely improved and obvious I no longer have to make so many micro steering adjustments when driving over undulations and the car even feels better damped on rebound, if that makes sense?

On examination, it's odd that the better protected top joint rubber boot was completely split/cut around it's circumference, still grease inside, but requiring very little force to rotate the ball.. compared to the bottom joint, perfectly serviceable and almost as tight as the new joints that replaced it.

All in all, I've saved £60 and inadvertantly fixed a problem I was convinced lay elsewhere so maybe I'm not wholly done with DIY yet. :)

Also, due to the steering issue, I was prepared to get the tracking seen to when I get the front tyres fitted. Do any national services offer a cheap or free read-only service? I don't want to pay for the full service to be told everything is within spec or close enough not bother adjusting?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, excellent on all counts :D Hope all the soreness soon goes...

It may not work for you but I find the best way to combat next-day muscle aches (what athletes call DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is a good old bit of 'hair of the dog' ;) i.e. go out and do a bit of a workout :)

I find a good swim works well for me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024

Post by Zelandeth »

Last time I got alignment checked on a car (turned out to be spot on), the guys at my regular garage told me not to bother about it, so I shoved a tenner into the guy's hand before they could object.

They know they see me pretty regularly, so it pays to keep them sweet - and sometimes saves me a few quid at times like that. Seem to recall they refused to take anything when they swapped the lambda sensor on the Lada too (I couldn't get at it).
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Seems I got a different DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Spasms) yesterday but it's all good today.

Also got some prices from local tyre-fitters
Ovation tyre £49.68
Kuhmo tyre £77.94
Wheel alignment check £18 or
with adjustment £36
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good to hear all is good today Mike :D
Jim

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

MikeT wrote: 05 May 2018, 20:31 I doubt I could preserve this to gain the 5000-mile award but I'll drink a beer or two and celebrate it all the same.

IMG_20180505_201506.jpg

Stone the crows! as my late further would say. :lol:
IMG_20180517_154013.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you've got the wrong firmware on your display Mike :-D

It should be showing the following:

Mike Speedo.jpg
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 May 2018, 17:11 I think you've got the wrong firmware on your display Mike :-D

It should be showing the following:

Mike Speedo.jpg

So THAT is why the third generation C5 reports such a high MPG. It is, after all, known as the X7!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you kidding James? 42.8 on an exceptionally good day where I am in Tom Jones' Country in my X7!

I'm itching to go on a Route 66 manoeuvre to get it past 45! :rofl2:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 May 2018, 17:11 I think you've got the wrong firmware on your display Mike :-D

I got it off a VW :lol: