Random knocking noise like something is banging on the bottom of the car

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Akos2210
My Cars: Citroen c4 II 2018

Random knocking noise like something is banging on the bottom of the car

Post by Akos2210 »

Hi!
I Have a C4 II 2018 and in the last few months I've been hearing a strange knocking noise coming from under the car though I can't pinpoint it well. It usually doesn't happen in the morning when I start the car, but it will come up after 10-15 min of driving. I couldn't tie it to any specific behaviour, though it seems to happen less when it's cold outside.
The knocks are random, though it does seem like they are connected to the turning of the wheels, and they don't happen when the car is stationary. They are independent of acceleration, and will also happen if I let the car just roll in neutral. They will also happen on completely level, good quality road. Two different mechanics told me they couldn't find any problems.
They are not very loud and passengers tend to not notice unless I tell them to listen, but it's annoying the hell out of me.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Random knocking noise like something is banging on the bottom of the car

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You really need to get a mechanic to go out with you on a road test when this is happening to see if they can identify the source, because knocks can be from anything in the suspension geometry, suspension components or driveshafts and steering rack for example. So not something we can do on a forum to be honest - it needs a road test and checks on a ramp.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PaulC5
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2007 C5 2.2 hdi estate
2019 Peugeot 308 SW 1.5 hdi
2016 Cactus 1.6 hdi
Previous ones 2004 C5 2.2 hdi, 2008/2011/2015 C4s all 1.6 hdi, 2003 C3 1.4 petrol, 2010 C3 1.4 vti petrol, 2005 Xsara Picasso 2.0 hdi

Post by PaulC5 »

We had a knocking on a 2015 C4 and that turned out to be wear within the front left shock absorber so that the chrome shaft could move slightly sideways. It was difficult to check on the car but once I had the strut and shock absorber off the car the shaft could be moved easily and give the noise. Possibly with the car jacked up it may be possible to check for this without any dismantling. The Citroen parts department at our dealer said there had been a bad batch of shock absorbers and they had changed the design since. I replaced the part in 2019 when the car was on about 25k miles. The right side was ok but I also replaced that one so they were a matched pair.
Akos2210
My Cars: Citroen c4 II 2018

Post by Akos2210 »

Thanks a lot, this sounds like it could be it. I’ll get it checked
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024
My Cars: C5 Aircross 2021 VR7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Kawasaki ZR1100 1994
C4 Hatchback
Yamaha XVS650A 2001

Post by Steve Walsh »

Also check for loose undertray and / or wheel arch liners
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>